The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

52 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

Sammy/Hardy is a feud I am actually really into. Matt bled a gusher and the little prick vs the grizzled respected veteran is always good.

Amazing promo from Mox and a brilliant main event. Could have done without the second blade job on the show but it is what it is.

Pretty sure Hardy's was hardway. Sammy fucking drilled him.

Edited by Liam O'Rourke

• Paid Members

Between this Tuesday’s Dark and then last night’s Dynamite I think Tazz has proven his worth. I’d get rid of either JR or Excalibur and keep him at the desk permanently.

In fact, just have Tazz and Tony and then bring the other two in for special occasions. They were great together on Dark, screwing around and making each other laugh. It was exactly how JR thinks he’s coming across when he makes all the sarcastic remarks, only the audience was actually in on the joke and able to enjoy the camaraderie rather than wondering why the old man is such a bitter, grumpy knobhead.

I can see them demoting Excalibur to Dark and keeping Taz on Dynamite. Or that's what I would anyway.

If/when they get that second show I highly doubt JR will be doing both or at least I hope not because grumpy old bastard JR is bad enough once a week.

Can only imagine how fucking miserable he would be having to work twice a week.

• Paid Members

Seems I'm in the minority, but I actually like Surly JR on commentary. It always gets a pop out of me when you can tell he's not impressed by what's happening in front of him, but that's because I'm a grumpy jaded fan that happens to agree with 99% of the flaws he finds and I have a similarly low tolerance for a lot of the shitehawks on the show. I appreciate that it isn't best for business to have a guy on commentary burying the show, but his comments are usually veiled in a manner that the average casual fan wouldn't even pick up on. I think the positives he brings to the show easily outweigh any criticism as he is still by far the best storyteller in the booth left in the business. He really does have his work cut out at times trying to tell the stories of matches where there really aren't any being told.

1 hour ago, Arch Stanton said:

I think the positives he brings to the show easily outweigh any criticism as he is still by far the best storyteller in the booth left in the business. He really does have his work cut out at times trying to tell the stories of matches where there really aren't any being told.

But that's his job surely? To try and sell everything that's in front of him, regardless of whether he's enjoying it or not. I don't really give a shit what he thinks. An enthusiastic commentary team can really lift something average.

I was really hoping Tony or JR would pick up on Tazz giving Matt Hardy stick for trying to come in and give one of the younger guys pointers as that's exactly what he was doing with Darby only a month or two ago. Back in the day if heel Heyman had said something hypocritical like that on commentary JR would have been gobbing at him. Not sure if it was a case of either a)being too sublte for JR or Tony to pick up on or more likely b) JR not being remotely interested enough to pick up on it.

Edited by cobra_gordo

1 hour ago, DavidB6937 said:

But that's his job surely? To try and sell everything that's in front of him, regardless of whether he's enjoying it or not. I don't really give a shit what he thinks. An enthusiastic commentary team can really lift something average.

Completely agree. AEW generally does a good job of looking at its problems and fixing them (eg. The Nightmare Collective, Multiverse Matt, the original Dark Order). 

The least enjoyable thing the promotion persists with is, unfortunately, JR. If I'm really enjoying something and he chips in to mock it or point out something that is illogical it spoils the segment or match a little for me. If he starts picking on Excalibur, it feels pretty awkward. When he starts lusting after female talent it makes me feel uncomfortable and presumably has the potential to make the women in question uncomfortable too. 

I think he'd be devastated to be removed from the announce desk so I feel bad about saying it, but I'm not sure he's the right person for this particular job.

Edited by RedRooster