The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, DavidB6937 said:

But that's his job surely? To try and sell everything that's in front of him, regardless of whether he's enjoying it or not. I don't really give a shit what he thinks. An enthusiastic commentary team can really lift something average.

He's still enthusiastic and he does his best to put over the stories, like I said before. Not only the plot points of the angles, but all the little things that happen when the matches are going on. Stuff that the dork in the mask completely misses or just doesn't know how to call. The very occasional snide little quips are things that you would only really pick up on if you're already alert to those same faults, in which case there's no real harm being done. I agree that he shouldn't be doing it, but it makes me laugh. He's probably hoping that some of those in the company might try to learn something and improve themselves.

To a casual audience, JR is the voice of wrestling- he brings legitimacy to AEW's product. He's noticeably past his prime and yet still a cut above his peers. Imagine what the average wrestling TV viewer thinks if they turn over onto Dynamite for the first time and there's some guy they've never seen in their life sat behind the commentary desk wearing a dopey looking lucha libre mask and using a daft gimmick name, as if he's a somebody in the business and they're supposed to know who he is.

I should add that Tony is good too, as is Tazz.

I just don’t think Jim Ross IS better than everyone else these days, I think he’s actively bad and also very dated.

I think the thing about Excalibur's mask is bollocks too. This mythical viewer who would be put off by a commentator wearing a mask but wouldn’t be put off by, you know, almost all things that happen on a wrestling show, barely exists if it exists at all.

• Paid Members
19 minutes ago, danlewis said:

This mythical viewer who would be put off by a commentator wearing a mask but wouldn’t be put off by, you know, almost all things that happen on a wrestling show, barely exists if it exists at all.

You're right, casual viewers barely exist at all any more, they did once. TV ratings attest to this. AEW should be doing all they can to find a way to bring them back. 

Edited by Arch Stanton

59 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

To a casual audience, JR is the voice of wrestling- he brings legitimacy to AEW's product. He's noticeably past his prime and yet still a cut above his peers. Imagine what the average wrestling TV viewer thinks if they turn over onto Dynamite for the first time and there's some guy they've never seen in their life sat behind the commentary desk wearing a dopey looking lucha libre mask and using a daft gimmick name, as if he's a somebody in the business and they're supposed to know who he is.

Is he really though? Before AEW when was he last lead voice of a major wrestling television show, 2008, maybe 2009?

That’s more than a decade ago. 

You might grab the attention of a few viewers nostalgic for the Attitude Era if they were to flip over, but I’d question how much of a difference maker he actually is in terms of actually encouraging people to stick around and watch.

Ultimately AEW is going to survive and thrive by attracting new fans, and I’m not sure JR is going to help with that.

No doubt when on form JR is still among the best but when he's got his head up his arse he actively drags things down.

Ultimately though it's down to management to show some backbone and say something.

Agree with the opinion that the whole mask thing with Excalibur is largely bollocks. If that's putting casuals off then they are not coming back, end of story.

Time to accept that wrestling just isn't cool anymore.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, RedRooster said:

Is he really though? Before AEW when was he last lead voice of a major wrestling television show, 2008, maybe 2009?

That’s more than a decade ago.

But how many new fans have been attracted to start watching wrestling over the period in question?

The probably already are but if they aren't they should be using JR as an agent. He knows the importance of story and character, he's seen a fuck load of wrestling and I dare say if he helped put the matches together he'd be more interested in calling them. 

1 hour ago, garynysmon said:

But how many new fans have been attracted to start watching wrestling over the period in question?

I have absolutely no idea, but nostalgia for a past-his-prime wrestling announcer isn’t going to create them. Especially when that announcer has a tendency to piss all over what he’s watching. 

(I know that’s a little harsh, but he really does spoil Dynamite for me)

Edited by RedRooster

• Paid Members
15 minutes ago, JNLister said:

I know people get tired of the demo/ratings talk, but AEW (despite having competition from NXT) beat Raw among 18-34 years olds this week. That's utterly insane.

I am getting tired of it but that is obscene.

On 8/5/2020 at 6:40 PM, DavidB6937 said:

Brandi feels like the prime example of nepotism in AEW. Most others who are involved feel like they deserve a spot and they have something to offer. But her? She's rarely shown anyone why she should be there.

The thing that really stood out to me with Brandi and nepotism, was that she was allowed to cut a "badass style" promo against Jake The Snake Roberts which completely no sold his slimy heel promo the week prior. It made no sense. 

PLUS she gets to run a cooking show of all things on AEW YouTube channel (?!?!?).

I've seen this before with other feds, where people who are involved are allowed to have side projects to essentially keep them out of the way of the real work. 

On a side note I see her "Heels" project, where she charges $50 for women to join a pro female fan initiative is getting crucified on Cody's Twitter comments:

https://twitter.com/AEWrestling/status/1291031171107885056/retweets/with_comments