Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted

This is what Omega is building up to

https://youtu.be/YTKtPyqWDLY

One of the main problems with NXT to call ups are everyone falls in love with a worker on NXT, but then they switch shows and the new fans haven’t watched their rise, so it doesn’t hold the same emotional investment. I think it’s clear they want to have Omega work his way up to being a main guy, rather than just starting him off as one. It could blow up in their face and they ruin one of the best wrestlers in the world.
They need Jericho as the face of the company right now and only time will tell if this was a smart move or not. 
 

 

  • Members
Posted
6 hours ago, Weezenal said:

Maybe they're going with a top 5-6 like the Premier League, where he can beat the midtable - relegation fighting teams but will never be the top team. Tottenham maybe? 

He should have been the man but has come across a bit like Ziggler so far.

kanye laughing GIF

  • Paid Members
Posted
1 hour ago, Philjax said:

Just read on a Cody tweet that the win/loss records will reset in, and presumably every, January.

It'd be good if the best records get something. Automatic title shots at the Feb PPV if that's one of their big ones, but also a trophy etc. 

They've only done it for a quarter, so it seems weird right now, but this is just a precedent - with a year to learn and fix things, it could be something big to build for next year. Fingers crossed.

Posted
4 hours ago, UK Kat Von D said:

This is what Omega is building up to

https://youtu.be/YTKtPyqWDLY

One of the main problems with NXT to call ups are everyone falls in love with a worker on NXT, but then they switch shows and the new fans haven’t watched their rise, so it doesn’t hold the same emotional investment. I think it’s clear they want to have Omega work his way up to being a main guy, rather than just starting him off as one. It could blow up in their face and they ruin one of the best wrestlers in the world.
They need Jericho as the face of the company right now and only time will tell if this was a smart move or not. 
 

 

Building up to his official coming out party? Good for him. Whatever floats his boat. As long as he’s happy. 

Anyway, 3 months in I still watch AEW weekly. It’s not really what they promised as their PWG no-selling spotfests are far from being ‘sports-like’.

Either way, Le Champion, Scorpio Sky, Jungle Boy, Luchasaurus, Marko Stunt, Darby All-in and MJF have risen to the occasion.

The only thing I don’t like about AEW is that wannabe ‘Epic’ Cody entrance. Such a mark for himself.

Posted
16 hours ago, DavidB6937 said:

And that attitude towards criticism of AEW is the main problem. WWE has been pulled to pieces on a weekly basis for a long time now, and rightly so in many cases. Why shouldn't AEW be put under the same scrutiny? 

WWE have been running at least one weekly episodic show for over 30 years and part of the frustration and distaste people have is that they've shown for numerous prolonged periods of time that they're capable of producing excellence.

They've been the biggest name in the game for over 30 years, have the best talent in the business in practically every position in the company and have the capability to get anyone they want any time they want barring a handful of people.

On top of that they have practically no financial limitations to what they can do. I'm well aware Tony Khan is funding AEW but spending money made by the business you're spending it on and spending money from other streams on it is a vastly different thing.

I'm not saying AEW shouldn't face ANY criticism. I'm saying that my opinion is they face a lot of people who have moaned about the WWE product for years writing them off. Some people will just never be happy and I stand by what I said. They can't do right for doing wrong.

I felt the first few shows were brilliant and there's definitely been a decline. There's lots of things that aren't right but I can't be fucked with people moaning about every little thing they do wrong when those same people still watch RAW every week. 

If you genuinely cannot see the reason why a company not even 3 months into weekly shows shouldn't be held up to the same scrutiny as WWE then there's really no explaining it to you.

  • Paid Members
Posted

AEW promised a "sports-like" presentation. As in, the framing of the TV show, the use of rankings, win/loss records and so on. They never said that the wrestling matches themselves would be "sports-like". So can we at least nip that particular inane criticism in the bud?

Posted
13 hours ago, Loki said:

I get who Eli Drake is, what he wants, he's won some matches and established himself as a contender.  I don't really understand WHAT Omega is or what he's doing in AEW.

NWA is doing a lot more with a lot less.  That's the mark of a well booked promotion.

I'm not an expert by any stretch, but for me NWA keeps shit simple, which makes it easier for casual fans like me to watch. I can clearly identify who the faces and heels are, I know that the NWA World Championship is a huge deal, and I see a Champion who carries himself like a real pro in Aldis (I'm only on episode 3 mind you, he may not be champion now).

Part of the issue with wrestling these past few years is that it's not as fun to watch. It's a chore. That isn't the case with NWA. It's an hour or so of good wrestling with some interesting characters who all want to win the title and be a world champion. I like that it's that simple.

Posted
1 hour ago, BomberPat said:

AEW promised a "sports-like" presentation.

Was this really that much of a focal point that it’s been built up to by the people on this forum? It does have more of a sports-like feel than WWE, but this is starting to feel like something people have latched on to and built up in their own heads. 
 

Wins and loses matter more, post match interviews and there isn’t an invisible camera, but it was always going to be wrestling. 

  • Paid Members
Posted

I skimmed through the, “Best Of Dynamite” special they aired on Fite last night. Loads of fun matches and good moments that reminded me that when AEW is good it’s my favourite promotion in the world.

In particular, they ended the show with that fantastic Darby Allin vs. Jon Moxley match that was everything I want from a TV match. Mox looks like a superstar, Allin gets the proper rub, the top-rope DDT finish is fucking incredible, the crowd are going apeshit and then you’ve got Tony Schiavone screaming his head off about what an ass-kicking match it was. Beautiful. Everything I love about pro-wrestling. Such a shame they managed to end the year on arguably their lowest point so far only a couple of weeks later.

I’m assuming nothing aired on TNT last night. Watching this show, I wish they’d aired it on TNT and interspersed the clips with promos from all the major players talking about what they want to achieve in 2020. After that Dark Order shit left such a bad taste, a show similar to that Raw where they were snowed in would’ve done wonders to get people invested again.

Posted
3 hours ago, Supremo said:

I skimmed through the, “Best Of Dynamite” special they aired on Fite last night. Loads of fun matches and good moments that reminded me that when AEW is good it’s my favourite promotion in the world.

In particular, they ended the show with that fantastic Darby Allin vs. Jon Moxley match that was everything I want from a TV match. Mox looks like a superstar, Allin gets the proper rub, the top-rope DDT finish is fucking incredible, the crowd are going apeshit and then you’ve got Tony Schiavone screaming his head off about what an ass-kicking match it was. Beautiful. Everything I love about pro-wrestling. Such a shame they managed to end the year on arguably their lowest point so far only a couple of weeks later.

I’m assuming nothing aired on TNT last night. Watching this show, I wish they’d aired it on TNT and interspersed the clips with promos from all the major players talking about what they want to achieve in 2020. After that Dark Order shit left such a bad taste, a show similar to that Raw where they were snowed in would’ve done wonders to get people invested again.

Yeah NXT ran unopposed last night with a show comprised of matches taped at last week’s show and after last week’s SD, doing the same with next week’s show when AEW go back live so there won’t be a true head to head till the 8th

Posted (edited)

Omega and the Bucks are not happy with New Japan.
I can understand Omega to a degree as he was their biggest foreign star but, at the same time, he was leaving them.and that's how the wrestling business works.
At the end of the day they all have significantly higher paid jobs and a much better schedule because of their time in New Japan. They used ROH/NJPW production and talent to sell the concept of AEW to Tony Khan and while Omega at least helped bring American eyes to New Japan, New Japan also raised particularly Omega's stock to an insane level also.

Anyway, see what you think...

https://www.fightful.com/wrestling/kenny-omega-takes-it-personal-how-his-njpw-departure-was-handled-young-bucks-felt-betrayed?utm_source=TW-FightfulWrestling&utm_medium=Fightful Wrestling News&utm_campaign=dlvr.it.organic

Edited by Snitsky's back acne
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...