The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

On 12/24/2019 at 2:55 PM, Jonny Vegas said:

WWE have been running at least one weekly episodic show for over 30 years and part of the frustration and distaste people have is that they've shown for numerous prolonged periods of time that they're capable of producing excellence.

They've been the biggest name in the game for over 30 years, have the best talent in the business in practically every position in the company and have the capability to get anyone they want any time they want barring a handful of people.

On top of that they have practically no financial limitations to what they can do.

Exactly. It's a track record that speaks for itself, which makes it all the more baffling why certain sections of the fanbase look at Vince as some dozy old fuck who doesn't know what he's doing, and who would be concerned by yet another upstart promotion.

Of course AEW shouldn't be held to the same standards as WWE, but when you had a ridiculous period of time where there were people who actually thought the guy behind not just WWE, but wrestling as we know it was somehow afraid and feeling any kind of threat from a company being run by a former WWE mid-carder and two donks from the indies there was always going to be this response when AEW didn't conquer the grappling world.

I get that there's hype, but some of the fan reaction was astounding. Anyone who's been even slightly interested in the business side of pro wrestling should know that it takes more than just a lot of money to make a success of it. I know it isn't a popular viewpoint, but that Vince fella actually knows a thing or two. He's not just a doddery old fool who's ripe for the picking from some young upstarts to come in and show how it's done.

AEW will be no more a threat to WWE as TNA, ROH, or any other wrestling organisation is. 

WWE isn't just a wrestling company, it is wrestling. There's absolutely no one who can come close to matching that. 

AEW should just hope that Vince doesn't wake up one morning pissed off that his hair isn't sitting right and decides to take it out on them. For now WWE seem relatively bemused by AEW. For everyone who enjoys watching them, that's a good thing. Let's hope it stays that way.

Edited by David

Just now, tiger_rick said:

Why are we pretending anyone thought AEW was a threat to WWE?

Because certain morons did. I remember chortling at a load of Tweets, comments and suchlike before AEW's main show launched. Some fans were building it up to be "revolutionary" and "changing the wrestling landscape" and other such cobblers. 

I'm not saying those fans were in the majority, or that they're anything other than dribbling fools, but it did happen. And when something gets that kind of initial reaction it's going to see a bit of a backlash when said revolution or changing of the landscape doesn't materialise.

• Paid Members

AEW was always going to make a fair amount of mistakes early doors. I'm surprised with how well they've done, in truth. 

Oh and apparently they're now planning to reset the daft wins/loss record every year. Hopefully they see fit to scrap them in a few months as they do no one any favours.

• Paid Members

AEW has basically consolidated the audience that once watched TNA/ROH/New Japan but I'm not really convinced that they've attracted much of a new audience or even managed to bring back a portion of the old WCW audience that stopped watching wrestling altogether in 2000/2001. 

In fairness though, nothing in the wrestling industry seems to be doing so either. Everyone chasing after the shell of a hardcore audience that's left and wringing every last penny out of that.

The problem is (IMO) that there is no sense of anything being legit sso nobody cares anymore. In 98 everyone knew it was a work but you believed Austin was a badass in real life. You wanted to see him win. Rock was so cool as aa teenager and you wanted to be him. Nobody cares about ttodaays characters because nobody is real (funnily lesnar is the one w the star aura and the only one that looks legit) 

• Paid Members

Chris Jericho releasing a video saying that if Tanahashi beats him at Wrestle Kingdom on the 5th then he’ll grant him an AEW Championship title shot, which New Japan are now promoting on Twitter, is interesting. Hopefully it’s the start of those companies working together and New Japan’s relationship with ROH going directly in the bin. Maybe bringing Kota Ibushi in can save Omega from mediocrity.

Unfortunately, at the same time, AEW is continuing to give their detractors ammunition. Kris Statlander’s title shot on Wednesday has been postponed because she was double-booked for an independent show. I’ve seen people saying that it makes AEW look cool for allowing people to make their previous bookings, but come on. You’re a national company on prime time TV and you didn’t think to check if your number one contender had an Indy booking on the same day as their title shot? Bush league.

Edited by Supremo

1 hour ago, Supremo said:

I’ve seen people saying that it makes AEW look cool for allowing people to make their previous bookings, but come on. You’re a national company on prime time TV and you didn’t think to check if your number one contender had an Indy booking on the same day as their title shot? Bush league.

I think it makes them look like nice guys. The key thing to remember is nobody really cares about that match, so having to wait an extra week is no big deal. It’s not like PAC or Moxley not being able to work, its a throw away match that everyone will get to see a week later