The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Paid Members

I don't watch AEW but I follow it from the outside and listen to a few weekly reviews. The whole internet fan culture that almost willed this thing existence and now seem intent on destroying it is just fascinating to watch. Wrestling fans are top weirdos.

3 hours ago, Supremo said:

It’s funny that everyone was going, “I hope he doesn’t go to WWE, they’ll ruin him,” only for him to a worse job with himself than they ever would have.

The kind of idiots that say things like "I hope he doesn't go to WWE, they'll ruin him" also probably wouldn't acknowledge anything negative about what he's doing in AEW.

One thing I will say for AEW, is that there next PPV is what, two months away and I can already see what the top matches are going to be.

Jericho/Moxley, Cody/MJF & Omega/Page.

Contrast that to the Monday before WWE's TLC, nothing was announced and I wouldn't have had a clue what they were likely to go with either.

AEW is doing ok for me, not perfect by any means but theres enough good things on there to keep watching.

3 hours ago, RedRooster said:

The same goes for The Young Bucks. Excalibur repeatedly saying they’re many people’s tag team of the year just doesn’t cut it. I’m not even sure they’ve cut a promo on Dynamite yet? 

I felt the same about The Young Bucks. AEW was my first time seeing them and  they kept getting touted as one of the best tag teams in the world and then lose to Private fucking Party in the first round of that tag title tournament. 

1 hour ago, The King of Old School said:

One thing I will say for AEW, is that there next PPV is what, two months away and I can already see what the top matches are going to be.

Jericho/Moxley, Cody/MJF & Omega/Page.

Contrast that to the Monday before WWE's TLC, nothing was announced and I wouldn't have had a clue what they were likely to go with either.

AEW is doing ok for me, not perfect by any means but theres enough good things on there to keep watching.

I definitely like that they're not overdoing it with the PPVs. That's been one of the main issues with WWE over the years, not that the traditional PPV model really means shit to them anymore which is why they didn't even bother with TLC's buildup really.

56 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

The Young Bucks peaked a decade ago with this belter 

https://youtu.be/R83Ystt-OdQ

The MCMG - what a great team.  Are they still around?

I can only echo the bewilderment around Kenny Omega.  I saw one of his Japan matches and, whilst I wasn't blown away, they presented him well and he came across as a star.  Outside of Moxley, he was the guy I was most interested in seeing in AEW.  But he looks terrible.  I mean, Jericho looks terrible but has good outings and still presents as a star.  Omega just looks completely naff and hasn't shown anything of interest in the ring, to me at least.

Edited by Loki

3 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

I don't watch AEW but I follow it from the outside and listen to a few weekly reviews. The whole internet fan culture that almost willed this thing existence and now seem intent on destroying it is just fascinating to watch. Wrestling fans are top weirdos.

I don't think there are people intent on destroying it.

The fact there is this much discussion about the product, negative or otherwise, shows that people care and are interested.
Compare the amount of comments AEW gets on here compared to Raw and Smackdown - people are not even interested enough to comment about those two most times.

AEW is no more immune to criticism [valid or otherwise] than any other wrestling company.
Nobody has said they want AEW to fail - infact I think this criticism show quite the opposite.
People want AEW to succeed and for wrestling's benefit AEW needs to succeed - people are therefore rightly frustrated when they see AEW doing the same bad stuff WWE is doing/has done and companies like WCW and TNA did. 

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

Was the same with TNA too. Back when it actually was something. Were always a load of people who would have been happy for there to be one less valid employer and viewing choice available because they're unable to do something really drastic like not watching it. Selfish idiots.

3 hours ago, wordsfromlee said:

I felt the same about The Young Bucks. AEW was my first time seeing them and  they kept getting touted as one of the best tag teams in the world and then lose to Private fucking Party in the first round of that tag title tournament. 

That's how you try and build new stars, by having them beat the current best ones.

It's such a weird opinion to have that a wrestler or a team can't be the best if they lose to someone lesser. It happens all the time in literally every legitimate sport going.

Edited by Jonny Vegas

1 minute ago, Jonny Vegas said:

That's how you try and build new stars, by having them beat the current best ones.

It's such a weird opinion to have that a wrestler or a team can't be the best if they lose to someone lesser. It happens all the time in literally every legitimate sport going.

But usually the best have some wins behind them to back up the fact that they're the best. Not lose straight off the bat to one of the greenest tag teams. 

You need to establish the team at the top before you use them to build new stars off.

1 minute ago, wordsfromlee said:

But usually the best have some wins behind them to back up the fact that they're the best. Not lose straight off the bat to one of the greenest tag teams. 

You need to establish the team at the top before you use them to build new stars off.

Usually I would agree however the vast majority of AEW's initial audience will be well aware of The Young Bucks, who they are and what they've done.

To me the idea that they should start from the beginning because some of the audience don't know them yet is wild and isn't the way things have ever been done since the territories ended.

6 minutes ago, Jonny Vegas said:

Usually I would agree however the vast majority of AEW's initial audience will be well aware of The Young Bucks, who they are and what they've done.

To me the idea that they should start from the beginning because some of the audience don't know them yet is wild and isn't the way things have ever been done since the territories ended.

I'm not saying they should start from the beginning. I'd just like a bit more than some guy on commentary saying "these guys are the best tag team in the world" as they walk down to the ring. List their accomplishments, tell me why they're the best, give them a mic to cut a fucking promo.

12 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said:

I'm not saying they should start from the beginning. I'd just like a bit more than some guy on commentary saying "these guys are the best tag team in the world" as they walk down to the ring. List their accomplishments, tell me why they're the best, give them a mic to cut a fucking promo.

This. There was an episode a few weeks were Excalibur was saying as an Omega match started, “we all know how great Kenny’s career was in Japan”. No, not everyone does, and it’s wrong & lazy to assume that we do . Short videos of them training along with talking heads can get across those past achievements, rather than relying on the audience’s prior knowledge  or relying on them to fill in the gaps in their own time.

Case & point-  Apparently Riho and Emi Sakura had an extensive history before their match at the last PPV, very little of which was made known in the buildup, which lead to some (not on here) saying “well, you can read about it online!”. But I shouldn’t have to have done so, because that’s what the TV show is supposed to do

Edited by WyattSheepMask

4 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

This. There was an episode a few weeks were Excalibur was saying as an Omega match started, “we all know how great Kenny’s career was in Japan”. No, not everyone does, and it’s wrong & lazy to assume that we do . Short videos of them training along with talking heads can get across those past achievements, rather than relying on the audience’s prior knowledge  or relying on them to fill in the gaps in their own time.

Case & point-  Apparently Riho and Emi Sakura had an extensive history before their match at the last PPV, very little of which was made known in the buildup, which lead to some (not on here) saying “well, you can read about it online!”. But I shouldn’t have to have done so, because that’s what the TV show is supposed to do

Agreed.
Drives me mad the 'well you can look it up' mentality.
No. Show me. Tell me. If it was WWE they would beat you over the head with it and produce a snazzy video package about it. 
If they want to grow their audience they need to stop assuming 'everyone knows' or that everyone can be arsed to find out. Wrestling has never worked like that.