The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

2 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

They're well known to most of the audience. The newer viewers don't need to know every title they've ever held and every match they've ever had. That's been the WWE MO forever. Sell the person but not other companies and other belts.

So sell them.  That's what AEW has failed to do, they're booking them like they're DX and don't need to be established.

You don't even have to look far for an example of a wrestling company doing this a lot better.  NWA consists almost entirely of talent that have made their names elsewhere. But whilst they acknowledge that, it's what they've done since being in the company that counts, and each character is built within an entirely consistent NWA narrative.  And they've managed to get new wrestlers over at the same time.

3 hours ago, BomberPat said:

But in that example Owens established himself by beating someone who had *already* been established for 10 years or more. No one in AEW, bar Jericho and maybe Cody, is established enough to elevate that person.

Beating the Young Bucks doesn't mean anything when they haven't had time to become the John Cena of this 

3 hours ago, BomberPat said:

But in that example Owens established himself by beating someone who had *already* been established for 10 years or more. No one in AEW, bar Jericho and maybe Cody, is established enough to elevate that person.

Beating the Young Bucks doesn't mean anything when they haven't had time to become the John Cena of this analogy.

They can't do right for doing wrong. Realistically only Jericho and Moxley have the pre established WWE top superstar vibe to them in AEW.

Cody's best work of his career has been since leaving which in my opinion further proves my point. You suggest that him and Jericho are the only two where my scenario could have worked but that opinion is based on Cody's post WWE work because casual WWE fans know him as Stardust.

If they had YB's, Omega, Cody all win every week people would call it a vanity project and moan.

YB's lose what I thought was a really entertaining match to an up and coming team in an attempt to elevate them and people moan about that.

As UKKVD said, people who didn't know who the YB's are and were told about them on comms would accept it for what it was. Those who know about them would accept that Private Party beating them was a big deal.

1 minute ago, Loki said:

So sell them.  That's what AEW has failed to do, they're booking them like they're DX and don't need to be established.

You don't even have to look far for an example of a wrestling company doing this a lot better.  NWA consists almost entirely of talent that have made their names elsewhere. But whilst they acknowledge that, it's what they've done since being in the company that counts, and each character is built within an entirely consistent NWA narrative.  And they've managed to get new wrestlers over at the same time.

If we're going to entertain the idea that anyone on NWA Powerrr is more marketable or over than the YB's then we need a mod to close this down.

Powerrr is a fun show but if you think it appeals to a single person who isn't a decades long fan 30 years old or above who's enjoying the nostalgic vibe to it then I think you're away with it.

• Awards Moderator
13 minutes ago, Jonny Vegas said:

If they had YB's, Omega, Cody all win every week people would call it a vanity project and moan.

YB's lose what I thought was a really entertaining match to an up and coming team in an attempt to elevate them and people moan about that.

On the first of the above points, only people who already knew who the Bucks, Omega and Cody were, and knew they were booking, would have that moan. The rest of the viewers wouldn’t know that, so it wouldn’t affect how they’re perceived like the fact they see this lot lose half the time. Which is kind of the point.

On the second point, if the loss to PP was an attempt to elevate them, they haven’t done a spectacular job. Private Party lost in the tournament and I can’t remember the last time they were even on Dynamite. A fluke win can sometimes be elevation but not in this case - especially as the Bucks haven’t exactly been on a stellar run of wins to make beating them a big deal, even retroactively. See first point, cyclical argument, etc 

6 hours ago, Jonny Vegas said:

They can't do right for doing wrong.

And that attitude towards criticism of AEW is the main problem. WWE has been pulled to pieces on a weekly basis for a long time now, and rightly so in many cases. Why shouldn't AEW be put under the same scrutiny? People have said when they've liked things about AEW and called them out on stuff they don't like.

There's this weird idea floating around in some people's heads that because they're new or alternative etc then they're beyond criticism and everyone should just be nice and support them. I'd say that being new gives them the perfect opportunity to learn from their mistakes early on.

As others have said, and many predicted early on - it's really not that easy to produce a consistently good weekly show. Throwing out random high quality PPVs is one thing but keeping it all on track through a whole year is another.

All credit to them - they've come in and given it a damn good shot and will continue to do so. When they get it right they get it really right, but you can say the same about WWE too in all fairness. What does that tell us? That you can't please all the people all of the time. And that's not just a wrestling thing.

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, Loki said:

I don't know how you've come to this conclusion. There's not been an ounce of character establishment behind Mr Anderson, Eli Drake, Trevor Murdoch, the Dawsons, Bram and his mate, Colt Cabana, etc, etc, etc. The commentary sells them to the audience and they all pretty much have the same motivation, which is one of three title belts. 

Not that they've not developed any characters. Aron Stevens has had a lot of focus, as has Kamille. Thunder Rosa had the good old vignette treatment. 

Otherwise, they were either people we already know and the odd new face that they've let get over in matches.

Let's not pretend it exists in the same universe as AEW. It's not judged on the same criteria. The amount of bellyaching we'd have had if Mr Anderson had walked out on Dynamite would be off the scale for a start. Or if AEW had sent the Dawson's out looking absolutely dogshit to have a boring match week after week. As if they'd have got a 10 show allowance to get to the point of "starting to look ok".

44 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

I don't know how you've come to this conclusion. There's not been an ounce of character establishment behind Mr Anderson, Eli Drake, Trevor Murdoch, the Dawsons, Bram and his mate, Colt Cabana, etc, etc, etc. The commentary sells them to the audience and they all pretty much have the same motivation, which is one of three title belts. 

Not that they've not developed any characters. Aron Stevens has had a lot of focus, as has Kamille. Thunder Rosa had the good old vignette treatment. 

Otherwise, they were either people we already know and the odd new face that they've let get over in matches.

Let's not pretend it exists in the same universe as AEW. It's not judged on the same criteria. The amount of bellyaching we'd have had if Mr Anderson had walked out on Dynamite would be off the scale for a start. Or if AEW had sent the Dawson's out looking absolutely dogshit to have a boring match week after week. As if they'd have got a 10 show allowance to get to the point of "starting to look ok".

Wholeheartedly disagree. 

The promos in NWA are probably the biggest part of the appeal to me and have gone a long way in establishing characters, be it Drake, Bram and his mate, Ricky Starks etc. 

I've not watched AEW since the first PPV so can't comment on their product. But I feel the Dawsons are a fine team, to say they look dogshit and have boring matches each week is being very over critical. A lot of people like myself are appreciating the shorter basic matches after years of being jaded with the same old tosh.

• Paid Members

The Dawsons make the War Raiders look like Arn and Tully.

I like NWA overall. I'm a week behind but still watching along. It's not all rosy though. It has it's fair share of shitarses. It coasts on names as much as anything, which is fair enough, lets just not pretend.

The promos are the best bit though. Establishing motivation behind the wrestlers and it creating a real focus in the show is what the do really well.

They're not judged the same way though. Ricky Starks would be ripped to pieces on AEW. He sort of works here because he stands out amongst the crew of older, established guys. Put him on another show and he's just Sonny Siaki or something but he's alright in NWA.

3 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

There's not been an ounce of character establishment behind Mr Anderson, Eli Drake, Trevor Murdoch, the Dawsons, Bram and his mate, Colt Cabana, etc, etc, etc.

2 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

Establishing motivation behind the wrestlers and it creating a real focus in the show is what the do really well.

So, you DO agree with me?  😂

I get who Eli Drake is, what he wants, he's won some matches and established himself as a contender.  I don't really understand WHAT Omega is or what he's doing in AEW.

NWA is doing a lot more with a lot less.  That's the mark of a well booked promotion.  AEW has all this talent but I find the show boring.  Perhaps they SHOULD book Mr Anderson.

Anderson.

25 minutes ago, Loki said:

I don't really understand WHAT Omega is or what he's doing in AEW.

Omega was the ace that dropped the ball on the first night and went insane when he got overshadowed by the latest big signing Moxley. He then tried to prove he was just as good at Moxely by doing a death match with him. 
He is a show off who wants to be the best, probably because he was a nerd growing up. He still likes nerd stuff, but it’s cool to like it now. Going forward can only imagine he is desperate to get back to the top, so we will have to wait and see if he overcomes the obstacles. His ego took a massive beating in his high profile loses to Jericho and Moxley and I reckon he misses Japan. 
Kota Ibushi will probably come to AEW and reignite the spark. 

This is the key points I’ve picked up from by watching AEW, and following the product. Is that enough character development? 

Edited by UK Kat Von D

• Paid Members

Maybe they're going with a top 5-6 like the Premier League, where he can beat the midtable - relegation fighting teams but will never be the top team. Tottenham maybe? 

He should have been the man but has come across a bit like Ziggler so far.

Omega is doing his tour shows act, which worked in Japan after he had gotten over with his more serious act. I’m a massive omega fan, but 3 months in there’s nothing in AEW giving me the impression he can be the main man. He shouldn’t be fucking about week by week in tag matches 

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Louch said:

Omega is doing his tour shows act, which worked in Japan after he had gotten over with his more serious act. I’m a massive omega fan, but 3 months in there’s nothing in AEW giving me the impression he can be the main man. He shouldn’t be fucking about week by week in tag matches 

I'm not and never have been an avid viewer of Japanese stuff, but from what I've seen of Omega on AEW I've been left scratching my head and wondering why people are making such a fuss of him tbh. Bang average.

Edited by garynysmon

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, garynysmon said:

I'm not and never have been an avid viewer of Japanese stuff, but from what I've seen of Omega on AEW I've been left scratching my head and wondering why people are making such a fuss of him tbh. Bang average.

I find this as frustrating as people not getting Keith Lee or Matt Riddle when they turned up. Look at the outpouring of love for both guys on here now, especially Lee.

The answer is all in the presentation. Omega is being presented as an overrated, "Good In Japan" goof, so he'll appear to people who aren't familiar with him as just that. He's going to be classed as 'bang average' as long as AEW keep booking him as bang-average. Again, it's frustrating, not only to watch on TV but to see the reactions here, only this time I can't argue as he's totally at fault.