The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

Until they address this, AEW is always going to be cutting into the existing fanbase. If that's what they want, they're really going to hamper their growth long term, because that fanbase is fickle and only has a set amount of cash to split between its various wrestling interests. Not great business sense.

1 hour ago, wordsfromlee said:

I'm not saying they should start from the beginning. I'd just like a bit more than some guy on commentary saying "these guys are the best tag team in the world" as they walk down to the ring. List their accomplishments, tell me why they're the best, give them a mic to cut a fucking promo.

When Owens debuted on RAW answering Cena's open challenge, won and then stood on the US title it elevated him instantly.

There was nothing done to promote him other than commentators telling people who he was.

I'd argue that a significantly lower percentage of RAW viewers knew who he was despite being NXT champion that Dynamite viewers know who YB's are.

We will have to agree to disagree but I think of anything that's wrong with AEW that isn't one.

• Paid Members

But in that example Owens established himself by beating someone who had *already* been established for 10 years or more. No one in AEW, bar Jericho and maybe Cody, is established enough to elevate that person.

Beating the Young Bucks doesn't mean anything when they haven't had time to become the John Cena of this analogy.

40 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

Wrestling is about stories.

To take the Emi Sakura/Riho example - I'm invested in that because I know Emi, am a big fan of her work

(1) In your opinion.

(2) You've already made it clear you're a Sakura fanboy. She has no significant in-ring history & worked for shit comapnies almost her entire career...don't bother quoting her Titles, as they're all meaningless. She has never been a big deal in Japan. Post-AJW, I could list the top workers on the fingers of one hand and a dumpy, middle-aged Freddie Mercury fan isn't on that list. She trained Riho. That's the story.

10 minutes ago, KingofSports said:

(1) In your opinion.

No. Wrestling IS about stories. Stories being told in the ring. Stories being told on the microphone. Stories being told through videos etc.
Many things about wrestling, such as match ratings, ARE opinion but wrestling being storytelling is not one of them.

Edited by Snitsky's back acne

• Paid Members

Interesting debate and, if honest, I agree with both sides. They've not done well enough to establish a lot of acts from the beginning. Some they are are trying to sort out now but others, including most women, remain poorly fleshed out. That has to turn off curiosity viewers. They're not watching with one eye on Wikipedia and also, most of what happened in Bumfuck Wrestling, Tennessee or Pantysniffer Central, Kyoto is completely irrelevent to AEW. So start again.

However, given this all started talking about the Bucks and Omega, I don't completely disagree with Kat on them. They're well known to most of the audience. The newer viewers don't need to know every title they've ever held and every match they've ever had. That's been the WWE MO forever. Sell the person but not other companies and other belts.

• Awards Moderator

Kane is an interesting example of what’s being discussed. “That’s gotta be Kane!” is one of the greatest moments from that period of wrestling, but that’s because the mystery of Kane had been built up explicitly on TV over weeks and weeks. Imagine if, at Bad Blood, he’d appeared and Vince yelled “THAT’S KANE!” and JR had replied “who?” to which Vince said “Kane! It’s Kane!” and it was assumed the viewer would pop onto AOL to find out he was Taker’s secret brother even though nobody on TV had suggested they do that. It would almost definitely not have worked as well.

3 hours ago, iPumaPants said:

Wrestling without storytelling is like Eastenders having Dot Cotton's funeral without telling us she died, or Kat Slater having Ian Beale's baby without telling us they've hooked up. You'd lose interest in the crap really quickly. 

Clearly that's happening with AEW.

Did this actually happen?