The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Paid Members
16 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Hopefully it’s the start of a Fast Show stable. Unlucky Alf should be next, gets pinned on a roll up and says “Oh bugger” to camera. 

Marko Stunt

340?cb=20131003021710

I find the "it's wrestling" argument tends to look at things in isolation and not at the bigger picture. Overdo the weird gimmicks and you're soon in early 1990s WWF cartoon hell, which is a long way away from the serious sports based approach AEW are supposed to be aiming for. At the present time AEW's output includes:

• The Librarians
  • Emi Sakura's cosplaying as Freddie Mercury
  • The Young Bucks and Kenny Omega cosplaying as the world and their wife
  • Kenny Omega's sweeping brush
  • Orange Cassidy
  • The Dark Order
  • Kris Statlander's alien gimmick
  • Marko Stunt
  • Michael Nakazawa and his oil

This is what happens when the lunatics are allowed to run the asylum.

• Paid Members
40 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

I was thinking the guy with the “I’m an alien” catchphrase might be better suited to the “I’m an alien” wrestler which was the basis of my post but hey ho. 

Ah, I see. I don't remember him, for some reason. How odd.

48 minutes ago, Tamura said:

Overdo the weird gimmicks and you're soon in early 1990s WWF cartoon hell, which is a long way away from the serious sports based approach AEW are supposed to be aiming for.

To be fair to them, at the time they said that, they didn’t realise there were any wrestling fans online who’d notice it was bollocks and call them out on it. So stop mentioning it! 

1 hour ago, Tamura said:

I find the "it's wrestling" argument tends to look at things in isolation and not at the bigger picture. Overdo the weird gimmicks and you're soon in early 1990s WWF cartoon hell, which is a long way away from the serious sports based approach AEW are supposed to be aiming for. At the present time AEW's output includes:

• The Librarians
  • Orange Cassidy
  • The Dark Order
  • Marko Stunt

You forgot the guy that sexual assaults people but it’s funny because he’s gay fella.

1 hour ago, Tamura said:

• The Librarians
  • Orange Cassidy
  • The Dark Order
  • Marko Stunt

I was just thinking today about one of the worst periods in the history of wrestling. There was nothing enjoyable about it and I don't think any of the guys involved went on to be very successful or heard of again. 

There was;

• a man who carried a head around which he talked to

• a fella pretending to be a vampire who spat blood out his mouth during his entrance

• a bald guy who was always getting drunk at his work and assaulting his boss and their family without getting sacked

• a guy who drugged and married the bosses daughter

• some japanese lads who cut a wrestlers penis off

• an actual pimp who used to take some of the women he sold out to the ring with him

• an old lady who gave birth to a hand

• a ridiculous angle where a group dressed up as soldiers and rode an a tank

• one fella who carried a mop everywhere and spoke to it

• a Police officer killed another wrestler's dog then made him eat it unknowingly

• a guy who comissioned a milk truck and sprayed it all over other wrestlers

• the holder of the european title cosplaying as stereotypes of people from european countries

Wrestling has been bonkers since day one.

Let us all not lose sight of the fact that we watch oiled up men and women who for the most part have little to no legitimate fighting background pretending to fight each other in pre determined bouts whilst using manouvers whereby the overwhelming majority require your opponents full co-operation to execute.

It's not the lunatics running the asylum it's people doing something they love in ways they think and hope will be enjoyable without having every minor detail of what theyre doing dictated to them.

History and the present has shown that in either scenario wrestling will continue to me bonkers.

5 minutes ago, Jonny Vegas said:

I was just thinking today about one of the worst periods in the history of wrestling. There was nothing enjoyable about it and I don't think any of the guys involved went on to be very successful or heard of again. 

There was;

• a man who carried a head around which he talked to

• a fella pretending to be a vampire who spat blood out his mouth during his entrance

• a bald guy who was always getting drunk at his work and assaulting his boss and their family without getting sacked

• a guy who drugged and married the bosses daughter

• some japanese lads who cut a wrestlers penis off

• an actual pimp who used to take some of the women he sold out to the ring with him

• an old lady who gave birth to a hand

• a ridiculous angle where a group dressed up as soldiers and rode an a tank

• one fella who carried a mop everywhere and spoke to it

• a Police officer killed another wrestler's dog then made him eat it unknowingly

• a guy who comissioned a milk truck and sprayed it all over other wrestlers

• the holder of the european title cosplaying as stereotypes of people from european countries

Wrestling has been bonkers since day one.

Let us all not lose sight of the fact that we watch oiled up men and women who for the most part have little to no legitimate fighting background pretending to fight each other in pre determined bouts whilst using manouvers whereby the overwhelming majority require your opponents full co-operation to execute.

It's not the lunatics running the asylum it's people doing something they love in ways they think and hope will be enjoyable without having every minor detail of what theyre doing dictated to them.

History and the present has shown that in either scenario wrestling will continue to me bonkers.

Except the difference is, even with the shittiest angle you’ve listed here, is that we’re able to say why it happened, or at the very least understand the context.

Why did Mae Young give birth to a hand? She was in a relationship with sex addict Mark Henry.

Why did Val Venis ‘have his dick cut off’? Because he had an affair with the villain’s wife.

The problem with AEW’s more outlandish gimmicks is that most of them lack explanation, or that they assume you know the context.

Why is Statlander an alien? Why does Emi Sakura cosplay as Freddie Mercury? Why is Kenny Omega ‘the cleaner’?

The other problem is, of course, that the execution of certain angles is just plain bad, and the show feels utterly disorganised. Wade Keller pointed out earlier this week that there are four separate angles based around recruitment.

Shawn Spears is looking to recruit a tag partner.

The Dark Order is recruiting anyone and everyone.

The Nightmare Collective is trying to recruit Kris Statlander.

The Inner Circle is trying to recruit Jon Moxley.

It’s an utter mess.

The "it's just fake wrestling innit" argument misses the whole premise of wrestling as a business - you make money by making people believe, or at least become emotionally involved, in the in-ring stories and personalities on show, and you can't do this without establishing the internal logic of the in-ring world. Decades ago, this logic was the logic of legitimate fighting. Then more interpersonal conflicts coloured it, but the logic of actual fighting remained the same. AEW hadn't established any internal rules fully enough, whether it be the technical rules of the ring or the type of characters that inhabit it.

Honestly, I don't care if the wrestlers love it or not. I've found my favourite wrestlers treated it as a profession. Those that claimed to love it invariably end up jaded, physically beat up, and poor.

4 minutes ago, CavemanLynn said:

The "it's just fake wrestling innit" argument misses the whole premise of wrestling as a business - you make money by making people believe, or at least become emotionally involved, in the in-ring stories and personalities on show, and you can't do this without establishing the internal logic of the in-ring world. Decades ago, this logic was the logic of legitimate fighting. Then more interpersonal conflicts coloured it, but the logic of actual fighting remained the same. AEW hadn't established any internal rules fully enough, whether it be the technical rules of the ring or the type of characters that inhabit it.

Honestly, I don't care if the wrestlers love it or not. I've found my favourite wrestlers treated it as a profession. Those that claimed to love it invariably end up jaded, physically beat up, and poor.

Nobody went along with the ridiculousness except the heels.
Bobby Heenan would say The Undertaker is monster and question whether he was human.
Gorilla would remind us that, while he may be scary and have a huge threshold for pain, he is indeed human.

Any heel manager that brought a monster out would go 'this is a sub human monster!' and the announcer or the babyface would go 'No, they're big bad mother fuckers but they're human'. It was a classic wrestling trope that worked.