The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

3 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

image.jpeg.321580484d7305e4bc9451ed632a60cc.jpeg

I’m going to have to vehemently disagree with this. Big Daddy V had a brilliant look, he was bloody terrifying. 

What does Evil Uno look like without the mask? I’ve had a Google to no avail. Surely it can’t be worse than his mask? He’s basically Shark Boy, but fat. 

Did they ever reveal what happened to Michael Nakazawa, or did I totally miss it?

Angle wise this show was an utter mess. Brandi Rhodes SHOULD be a key part of this show, but not in this gimmick. Her mic skills are excellent, but this stuff is just terrible. 

And what on earth is this alien thing about with Statlander? It’s poorly executed, badly explained and her entrance video graphics look utterly amateurish. 

I want to support AEW on the basis of WWE being morally awful, but I’m on the verge of giving up on it. Maybe the ‘ugh, you watch WRESTLING?’ people were right all along and I should find a new interest. 

• Paid Members

I’ve just watched Big Daddy V’s debut on the back on this conversation and I have to disagree, when he walks out he looks genuinely scary with his huge mass. Also, I had completely forgotten about Matt Stryker and his teacher gimmick.

• Paid Members

With a couple of agents or a proper leader to steer the ship, this had the makings of being a really good show. For as bad as that ending was, there was still loads of really enjoyable stuff.

- Incredible crowd all night. You’d never have guessed where they were airing from watching the show.

- I thought Jericho vs. Jungle Boy was almost note-perfect. Jungle Boy lasting the ten minutes, Jericho asking for five more because he thought he had him beat, then simply running away scared when he realised otherwise was really great shithousery. All it needed was for someone to proof read the whole thing and suggest it eventually being announced that Jungle Boy had won by Count Out. That would’ve pushed everything over the edge, giving Jungle Boy the extra rub whilst still allowing Jericho to cling on to technicalities to save face.

- Credit where it’s due in terms of showing all the little Twitter videos on the show itself to build up Jericho vs. Jungle Boy and Young Bucks vs. SCU. When they put them out on social media throughout the week I fully expected them to not actually show them to the TV audience, so fair play. Really enjoyed that little Jim Ross interview with Jungle Jack, too. More of that, please.

- Similarly, you could hear Excalibur in particular trying to cross all the dots and explain storylines a bit better. Really pushing that MJF had hired the Butcher and the Blade, pushing that Jungle Boy was Luke Perry’s son, mentioning later in the night that the Jericho vs. Jungle Boy match was officially a time limit draw, it felt like a conscious effort to work on all this assumed knowledge and flesh things out. The only problem was when JR tried to join in but couldn’t even remember if MJF had won a watch or a ring in the Diamond Battle Royale. For fuck’s sake, Jim.

- There’s no defending the Brandi stuff. The shittest type of cosplay wrestling. I fast forwarded through every single segment and plan on continuing that trend going forward. Real bottom-of-the-barrel, Stephanie-McMahon-at-her-worst bollocks. Remember when Kong came out on that first show and it felt like a huge deal? Those days are long gone. 

- They were so close to nailing it with that Omega/Hangman Page thing. When they started shoving each other I nearly burst with delight to see both of them finally transitioning into a proper feud with proper, defined characters...and then it lasted about two seconds before they over-booked and over-complicated the fuck out of it. That thing with Pac, them running around corridors like Scooby Doo, hilariously getting attacked again by the Lucha Bros, this all reeked of Russo. I don’t even think Gedo is that great of a booker but everything Kenny Omega has done with himself without him this twelve months should solidify Gedo as booker of the year. 

- Same thing with the Young Bucks. Had this show ended straight with them winning the Tag Titles clean it would’ve likely been remembered as a home run. You can sense everyone in the crowd just wants to see the top guys actually win. This “look, I’m not John Cena, I lose all the time!” stuff from the EVPs has done nothing but harm. The guys they’ve lost to aren’t more over, it’s just brought the supposed stars down to everyone else’s level. Honestly, at this point, when he’s mostly wrestling on the B show on YouTube and barely ever winning, Kenny Omega is starting to feel like a Poundland Buddy Murphy.

- More fool me during that final dog shit angle, too. It was so bad that I was convinced they had a punctuation point to save it. When The Elite were all getting beaten up I was convinced the lights were going to go out to reveal Marty Scurll or Luke Harper or something. A big moment where someone fights off all the Dark Order. Or, if the goal was to get some proper heat on Dark Order, I half expected one of the Creepers to pull his mask off to reveal Adam Page. You know, just something to create a bit of a cliff hanger. As it was though, the show ended with a bunch of Indy guys that look like shit beating up all the stars to deafening silence. And that’s what you decided to do to compete with Rhea Ripley winning the Title on the other channel. Fuck me. This show needs agents or a proper leader more than ever. The fact that their supposed leader is instead going out there hitting Stone Cold Stunners says it all. What a tit. He’s every money mark there’s ever been.

I’d kill for a show featuring AEW talent, filmed in AEW arenas, booked by whoever books NXT. That’d be perfect.

Edited by Supremo

• Paid Members

I've just lost nearly all interest in AEW these days. Between the awful quality in-ring from the likes of Britt Baker and Bea Priestley, to the shockingly bad Brandi stuff, to the women's champion never actually being on the shows for what feels like well over a month or two, the women's division is a joke. 
I really hoped when it started too we'd see the tag division really pick up and mean something, but it's the same handful of teams 50/50 trading with no storylines, and then when they run out of steam they're sticking singles guys together or having the same tags split and do singles. Just give them storylines or meaning.
It's been 11 weeks and Mox is the only star they have outside of Jericho. It's a real shame.

• Paid Members

Imagine being so in your own bubble you actually think you're stars on the level of Moxley and Jericho? The Young Bucks and Kenny Omega giving people "the rub" is incredible. Benoit, Jericho, the Giant and loads of other former WCW wrestlers were much bigger stars and more well known than this lot. And they desperately needed wins and to be established when they rocked up on Raw in 1999/2000. Nobody gives a fuck what you did previously when you are trying to get this show off the ground. And putting over your mates from Chikara and DDT, when nobody could possibly care about them, is criminal, really.

4 hours ago, Supremo said:

The fact that their supposed leader is instead going out there hitting Stone Cold Stunners says it all. What a tit. He’s every money mark there’s ever been.

Hey man, they didn't do it on TV, man! It was just something fun for the live crowd that got broadcast on the internet because it's fun and wrestling's fun and they just want to make people smile and have fun. Stop being a party-pooper, man. Enjoy the fun. It's fun. Fun.

Fun.

• Paid Members

Jesus Christ you need to give it up with those sarcastic kind of posts, let it go. Im not a huge fan of AEW myself, but I appreciate what they are trying to do. By posting things in the way you have here, in weeks gone by and the NXT thread, it just comes across as desperate and a bit pathetic. 

1 hour ago, Nick James said:

Jesus Christ you need to give it up with those sarcastic kind of posts, let it go. Im not a huge fan of AEW myself, but I appreciate what they are trying to do. By posting things in the way you have here, in weeks gone by and the NXT thread, it just comes across as desperate and a bit pathetic. 

I thought snarky, sarcastic posts were the 'go-to' around here?
My post wasn't directed at AEW anyway, but the AEW die-hards and their constant excusing of everything that is AEW - I thought that was another 'go-to' thing around here lately?
I mean, I've been here long enough to know that if you're not into sarcastic posts or people beating a dead horse about issues that have long since passed then this forum probably isn't for you. 

Edited by Snitsky's back acne

• Paid Members

I'm worried that this will come back haunt me like it did before the coalition, but... I agree with Nick. It comes across as desperate and pathetic, and it makes me less inclined to talk about something I'm generally enjoying.

Anyway - haven't finished the show yet, which says a lot. I will do tonight though. What's a shame is that they do keep showing signs of learning things and changing them up to improve them (the video packages this week, the more angle-heavy show, and the commentary trying to explain more are proof of this), but they then keep finding new weaknesses. So far, they're not doing sensationally at making people come across as stars, which is a real shame.

If anything, it shows how fucking hard it is to produce a good, solid wrestling show on a weekly basis. Hopefully, this is a down-period before they start properly building to the next PPV.

The biggest pluses so far - Darby Allin has it. Dude's fucking great. I liked the Lucha Bros getting pissed off after winning, because Hangman and Omega dared to make them work for it. And I like the continuing angle with Hangman and Omega.

My hope is that they're building up Hangman as a red herring for the Dark Order, but he's actually joining the Inner Circle like a proper upper carder. That way, we get a decent upper-card heel, and a build to an Omega/Hangman match, which I'd actually really like. Also, we probably get Jericho/Hangman vs Omega/Moxley at the next PPV. I reckon that then leads to the two singles matches, before eventually Omega beats Jericho.

Of all the problems, my biggest personal one right now are Omega's shitty grey tights. They're fucking awful. I'm now beginning to rationalise it by vaguely hoping that he'll change them once he gets some direction, and we can look back at them as his weird, directionless-era tights.

13 minutes ago, Chris B said:

I'm worried that this will come back haunt me like it did before the coalition, but... I agree with Nick. It comes across as desperate and pathetic, and it makes me less inclined to talk about something I'm generally enjoying.

If you feel it's desperate and pathetic, fair enough - I've been called worse - but, seriously, if me entertaining myself a little bit and taking the piss out of die-hard AEW fans genuinely makes you less inclined to talk about AEW then, in fairness, that's your issue, not mine.