MPDTT

The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

16 minutes ago, UK Kat Von D said:

Cody was asked about the stipulation in one of their YouTube hype videos and said no comment. I imagine he will challenge at some point, but very far down the line and with a logical reason behind it. Can’t see it being any time soon, probably winning it from MJF in two years time or something 

Whereas I think it's far more interesting for him not to. How much more interesting will AEW be if stipulations and match-types matter? We've already had it made clear that an unsanctioned match can be pretty wild (which I think was part of the statement being made with that Moxley/Omega match), so if they don't use it often, it'll mean more.

If the main guy in the company can never challenge for the world title, that's much more interesting for me than how he'll find a way around it. If they educate us that stipulations are as meaningless as they are in WWE, it'll be a major problem.

I'd like to see a long arc where Cody eventually earns the shot the hard way via a tournament where all the odds are stacked against him or something. Would make for a hell of a moment.

To be fair, the small print on the stipulation did say he can't challenge for the title again unless he wins a tournament where all the odds are stacked against him.

WWE are so shit at sticking to stipulations, two weeks is the average. As long as it makes sense and isn’t rushed the fans won’t mind. He should be anywhere near the title for 12-18 months though 

3 minutes ago, King Pitcos said:

To be fair, the small print on the stipulation did say he can't challenge for the title again unless he wins a tournament where all the odds are stacked against him.

There have been a few promotions that have done that storyline before, and it works. As for small print, you never struck me as the kind to quibble over that sort of thing; quite the opposite, surely? It's wrestling, they can get around it if they want to.

2 minutes ago, King Pitcos said:

That a Russo "small print"?

You can break a stipulation. I don't think that's an issue. The best example I can think of is one I've just watched back on those brilliant YouTube videos - the Randy Savage retirement in 1991. That only lasted 6/7 months but was a brilliantly conceived angle that peaked with that crazy snake angle where they had people begging for them to bring him back. The flip side is something like Foley in 2000 where they didn't care enough to even conceive an angle or wait a while, they just laughed it off because they didn't care.

They could create a mid-card title out of this but I really want to see them hold off until the belt is on MJF and then have him goad Cody month after month until he eventually gives him the inkling of an opportunity. If they have the patience to do it, it could be amazing in another year or so.

Just now, Carbomb said:

There have been a few promotions that have done that storyline before, and it works. As for small print, you never struck me as the kind to quibble over that sort of thing; quite the opposite, surely? It's wrestling, they can get around it if they want to.

Of course they can, and they definitely will, but it's another thing that'll chip away at their "we're doing wrestling properly, not like the charlatans who don't respect our great sport" rep.

He's Dusty's son. He's just going to wear a mask and challenge for the belt as the Nightmare Rider or something.

If they hold off on Cody/MJF, it doesn't need the belt. Cody doing matches that matter, and grudge matches... they're enough. I really like keeping him separate from the title. For example, I immediately like the idea of MJF having the belt and being terrified to lose it because then he'll have to face Cody, and as long as he's champion, he's safe.

Of anyone in the organisation, Cody doesn't need the belt. And the belt doesn't really need Cody. A secondary title really could use a Cody to make clear that it matters.

8 minutes ago, King Pitcos said:

Of course they can, and they definitely will, but it's another thing that'll chip away at their "we're doing wrestling properly, not like the charlatans who don't respect our great sport" rep.

He's Dusty's son. He's just going to wear a mask and challenge for the belt as the Nightmare Rider or something.

I get what you mean, but I dunno; the whole getting around legal stipulations thing doesn't necessarily mean they'll chip away at that rep (not that I particularly think it's worth anything) - if anything, the whole causing of a ruckus by getting into conflicting situations would actually seem like they respect Our Great Sport more.

Without getting too anecdotal about it, one of the best moments we had when I worked in SAS Wrestling was when Spud finally won the belt off Jack Storm in a title shot he earned through a tournament, despite previously having lost a match saying he couldn't ever have one. We simply ran an angle in which the head ref came out the next show and said that SAS Command had reviewed the contracts, and decided that a company-run tournament took precedence over individual contract stips. Crowd reaction to each step was better than we could've hoped for.

Actually, I like your masked Nightmare Rider idea better, though.

Edited by Carbomb

The whole point of the stipulation was that Cody wasn't comfortable with challenging for the title while he's a part of management, so I'd imagine they'll do an angle eventually where Cody can challenge for the title again but has to give up his executive position to do so. Probably a decent way to write-off on-air authority figures if that's the way they want to go - Cody drops the executive role (in kayfabe) and they can just say Khan runs everything.

Was it ever actually an official stipulation in the first place, or just Cody making a promise to the audience?

6 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

Was it ever actually an official stipulation in the first place, or just Cody making a promise to the audience?

When he’s in charge of the company, that’s the same thing, isn’t it? Either way, a heel turn gives him a free pass to overrule it.

Ah, so he can't "challenge" for the world title, but if the championship was declared vacant then he could enter the tournament (or whatever gimmick that they'd go with) and vie for the title that way as technically he isn't "challenging" for it, but simply competing for it. Yeah, something like that. 

Is he challenging if the champion is the one who calls for the match?