The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

Just now, Carbomb said:

There have been a few promotions that have done that storyline before, and it works. As for small print, you never struck me as the kind to quibble over that sort of thing; quite the opposite, surely? It's wrestling, they can get around it if they want to.

Of course they can, and they definitely will, but it's another thing that'll chip away at their "we're doing wrestling properly, not like the charlatans who don't respect our great sport" rep.

He's Dusty's son. He's just going to wear a mask and challenge for the belt as the Nightmare Rider or something.

• Paid Members

If they hold off on Cody/MJF, it doesn't need the belt. Cody doing matches that matter, and grudge matches... they're enough. I really like keeping him separate from the title. For example, I immediately like the idea of MJF having the belt and being terrified to lose it because then he'll have to face Cody, and as long as he's champion, he's safe.

Of anyone in the organisation, Cody doesn't need the belt. And the belt doesn't really need Cody. A secondary title really could use a Cody to make clear that it matters.

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, King Pitcos said:

Of course they can, and they definitely will, but it's another thing that'll chip away at their "we're doing wrestling properly, not like the charlatans who don't respect our great sport" rep.

He's Dusty's son. He's just going to wear a mask and challenge for the belt as the Nightmare Rider or something.

I get what you mean, but I dunno; the whole getting around legal stipulations thing doesn't necessarily mean they'll chip away at that rep (not that I particularly think it's worth anything) - if anything, the whole causing of a ruckus by getting into conflicting situations would actually seem like they respect Our Great Sport more.

Without getting too anecdotal about it, one of the best moments we had when I worked in SAS Wrestling was when Spud finally won the belt off Jack Storm in a title shot he earned through a tournament, despite previously having lost a match saying he couldn't ever have one. We simply ran an angle in which the head ref came out the next show and said that SAS Command had reviewed the contracts, and decided that a company-run tournament took precedence over individual contract stips. Crowd reaction to each step was better than we could've hoped for.

Actually, I like your masked Nightmare Rider idea better, though.

Edited by Carbomb

• Paid Members

The whole point of the stipulation was that Cody wasn't comfortable with challenging for the title while he's a part of management, so I'd imagine they'll do an angle eventually where Cody can challenge for the title again but has to give up his executive position to do so. Probably a decent way to write-off on-air authority figures if that's the way they want to go - Cody drops the executive role (in kayfabe) and they can just say Khan runs everything.

6 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

Was it ever actually an official stipulation in the first place, or just Cody making a promise to the audience?

When he’s in charge of the company, that’s the same thing, isn’t it? Either way, a heel turn gives him a free pass to overrule it.

• Paid Members

Ah, so he can't "challenge" for the world title, but if the championship was declared vacant then he could enter the tournament (or whatever gimmick that they'd go with) and vie for the title that way as technically he isn't "challenging" for it, but simply competing for it. Yeah, something like that. 

2 hours ago, Chris B said:

Well if it’s by him turning heel then it’s makes sense that the Bucks would say he can’t do that. That’s why he’d be such a prick for doing it. 

It’s pretty pointless to over think now, because when it does happen it’ll be from a slow burn story. We will all know it’s coming, just like the MJF turn. When it does happen it’ll be a big moment 

• Paid Members

He didn't really lose the match as he didn't tap or get pinned. Hell talk about that technicality and end up in a match against MJF where if he wins the clause is overturned? 

I thought the PPV was alright, but with the stipulations etc it felt like it should be a show that's taking place a year from now where circumstances have led to them having to have the unsanctioned match, or it being Cody's last shot. 

The Moxley/Kenny match was laughable in places. Watching him roll about on the mousetraps, and getting the Bucks & Page to bring that big barb wire thing out as if they've all been sat in a church hall or school gym the previous day assembling it. 

1 hour ago, DavidB6937 said:

It's very easy to get around Cody's "promise". Most annoying will be the AEW fans who claim it's the best swerve ever, knowing if WWE dared to do the same they'd get put down something rotten. 

Well WWE would have already gone back on the stipulation, so it is a bit different 

Just as a heads up since I couldn't post it with the forum down, but SCG Radio's return show was talking all about AEW Full Gear - every match, every angle, overall thoughts on the show, as well as an in-depth look at the promotion in general at this stage in the game, with thoughts on the strengths and weaknesses of Dynamite, the greatness of Chris Jericho, hot stars and cold prospects, what's good and bad about all things AEW thus far....

https://mcdn.podbean.com/mf/download/hps6ne/SCG_Radio_153_-_AEW_Full_Gear_and_Dynamite_So_Far.mp3

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, Liam O'Rourke said:

Just as a heads up since I couldn't post it with the forum down, but SCG Radio's return show was talking all about AEW Full Gear - every match, every angle, overall thoughts on the show, as well as an in-depth look at the promotion in general at this stage in the game, with thoughts on the strengths and weaknesses of Dynamite, the greatness of Chris Jericho, hot stars and cold prospects, what's good and bad about all things AEW thus far....

https://mcdn.podbean.com/mf/download/hps6ne/SCG_Radio_153_-_AEW_Full_Gear_and_Dynamite_So_Far.mp3

Unsurprisingly, I've listened to this. A really good comeback. Although you guys insist you really like AEW, you're very hard on lots of individual aspects of it. Particularly Karl who likes very little about it. A good listen though.