The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Paid Members

It continues to amaze me how Chris Jericho manages to keep reinventing himself and making sure he stays relevant. Even his theme music has grown on me. 

There's some great stuff going on with AEW at the moment. Going off their early shows before they got TV, I wasn't expecting to be able to stick with Dynamite at all, but it feels ten times easier to watch than the WWE shows at the moment. 

Sure there's some glaring things that I'm not a fan of, but it doesn't feel stale and repetitive yet, which makes the show breeze by a lot quicker. 

Omega Vs Moxley though. That was a turd. I'm not seeing it with Omega at all. 

Cory Rhodes, the Inner Circle, PAC, MJF, Dustin (he's not involved enough, they need to find more for him to do on screen) Jungle Boy and Luchasaurus, Scorpio Sky, are all folks I'm looking forward to seeing each week. 

Private Party need farmed out to other promotions as much as possible to get more matches under their belt. They are dreadfully green and I haven't liked a match yet that they have been involved in. 

I get the feeling Pentagon and Fenix may bring out the worst in each other. I would give them each a singles program to sink their teeth into for a while and see how they fare out. 

They could do with finding a way for Tully Blanchard to cut more promos as well. Let him say what he wants about that useless lump Joey Janela and I can't see how it wouldn't be good TV. 

Edited by WeeAl

Dave saying that AEW won the week’s rating when they didn’t has been a real highlight this week. I know there’s the 18-49 demographic and all that jazz, but it’s the total number that matters. If NXT got 25 million 50+ year old watching and AEW had 4 18-49 year olds watching, AEW didn’t win no how much you try and spin it

2 hours ago, TheBurningRed said:

Meltzer saying Omega and Moxley wasn’t very good and he didn’t like but still gave it 4 and half stars sums him up. I’ve forgotten most of what happened in that match besides the mousetraps and the barbed wire bed they landed on off the stage.

To be fair, he has explained multiple times that his star ratings aren’t based on what he likes. 

1 hour ago, Michael_3165 said:

They really do have such a shallow talent roster for a backer with over a billion in the bank.

Just because he has the family billions doesn't mean he is going to use the family billions on a hobby.  

13 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Dave saying that AEW won the week’s rating when they didn’t has been a real highlight this week. I know there’s the 18-49 demographic and all that jazz, but it’s the total number that matters. If NXT got 25 million 50+ year old watching and AEW had 4 18-49 year olds watching, AEW didn’t win no how much you try and spin it

Yeah this has been amazing to see. Dave's narrative has either been 'It wasnt really an NXT show because of all the Raw/Smackdown talent on it' and the aforementioned '.. well AEW actually won if you consider the availability of hones and the 18-30 demo'.

Dave mate, seriously, just stop....

I really enjoyed the Mox/Omega match, think they have followed it up brilliantly with Omega not being cleared to wrestle and being clearly heartbroken that Moxley was okay. 

Was a shame UKFF was down because that would have been a proper circular debate for at least 20 pages 

• Paid Members
33 minutes ago, Yakashi said:

To be fair, he has explained multiple times that his star ratings aren’t based on what he likes. 

That's just not true, though. Its totally based on what he likes, otherwise he wouldnt have given Hogan vs Rock 3 stars. Random Raw matches get better than that.

40 minutes ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

That's just not true, though. Its totally based on what he likes, otherwise he wouldnt have given Hogan vs Rock 3 stars. Random Raw matches get better than that.

I'm not saying I believe him. But that's his justification for this rating and the Foley cell match that he also hated. 

Full Gear was the final straw for me. I've tried to give AEW a chance, watching most of the stuff they've done so far (I refuse to watch any match involving the Young Bucks as they are insufferable cunts). Some of the stuff they do is decent (Jericho has been phenomenal, at least until he wrestles) but the roster appears to be paper-thin and there's way too many people I've no interest in watching any more.

Moxley versus Omega was awful, like watching that fucking terrible Asylum Match again. If you're going to use weapons like baseball bats wrapped in barbed wire, then you don't have a match lasting a week and a half as the whole point is the weapons are more damaging than normal wrestling moves. As a side note "The Cleaner" with that stupid sweeping brush has to be one of the worst gimmicks around. I don't care if it was over in Japan, and I say that as someone that probably watches more Japanese wrestling than most fans. Would any of his fans from Japan have screamed blue murder if AEW had just dropped the nickname or given him a sensible one instead? I doubt it. (apologies for Garthing...)

Possible my favourite point in the whole PPV was during the women's match (I think). Someone did a hair-mare and Excalibur decided to name-drop Kodo Fuyuki, a Japanese garbage wrestler who's been dead for 16 years so pretty much no fucker would have a clue who he was talking about. Jim Ross buries him with his reply of "What's that mean?" Excalibur is forced on the defensive and tells us Chris Jericho was in his stable when he wrestled in WAR (Jericho wrestled there from 1994-1996 for anyone who's interested) and the subject gets dropped very quickly.