The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

2 hours ago, Chris B said:

One detail that I forgot to mention is the recent bit where Omega's not been cleared after the unsanctioned match, and his subdued reaction to finding out that Moxley is cleared (and thriving) was genuinely great. He doesn't need to come out and make clear how much it bothers him - of COURSE it fucking bothers him. And it's just one more thing needling away at him.

Yeah agreed, think I was going to come on here and mention that at the time but the board was down, then forgot about it.

That was brilliant.

• Paid Members

I always think back fondly to those Triple H matches with Taka Michinoku and Rikishi from the year 2000, where a plucky mid carder got a proper rub for going the distance in a fun match with a top star.

Then I realise that was nearly twenty years ago and I can’t remember WWE having done many since. 

By contrast, AEW have already done it twice in the space of a few weeks with Darby Allin’s matches with Jericho and Moxley, and now they’ve got another one this coming Monday with Scorpio Sky’s Title shot. Good stuff.

Edited by Supremo

WWE has fucked up their sense of hierarchy so badly. Everybody has been all over the card, pushed, depushed, held various titles, and nobody is a true star because they're at the top of the card anyway. That's one of the many things I enjoy about AEW, and it isn't even anything they're actively doing - because it's a new world and they've established the top guys are Jericho, Moxley, Omega and Cody, everybody is falling into their place and it's exciting to watch the movement because, in this realm, it actually means something.

• Paid Members

Darby's with Cody was a good example of this too, along with Private Party vs the Bucks. It's one thing AEW has been doing really well straight out of the gate - and it doesn't feel like they're being treated as just flukes either. Scorpio Sky feels like a genuine star in the making. I'm not always convinced by him in the ring, although I enjoy his stuff.

One storyline point that I'm interested in: Cody losing his forfeit, and not being able to ever challenge for a world title again. They've made clear they're going to respect stipulations, so I'm assuming this is going to lead to a secondary title. If they treat it like NJPW's Intercontinental title, which is highly significant in its own right, and not just 'midcard', this could be exciting.

• Paid Members

Isn't that what the Dynamite Diamond ring thing is going to be? The secondary title. A bit like Cody's old Ring Of Honor Ring.

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, DEF said:

Isn't that what the Dynamite Diamond ring thing is going to be? The secondary title. A bit like Cody's old Ring Of Honor Ring.

I thought it was going to be more of a Money In the Bank type thing. With the ring being a throwback to the one DDP won in '96.

1 hour ago, Chris B said:

One storyline point that I'm interested in: Cody losing his forfeit, and not being able to ever challenge for a world title again. They've made clear they're going to respect stipulations, so I'm assuming this is going to lead to a secondary title.

Cody was asked about the stipulation in one of their YouTube hype videos and said no comment. I imagine he will challenge at some point, but very far down the line and with a logical reason behind it. Can’t see it being any time soon, probably winning it from MJF in two years time or something 

• Paid Members
16 minutes ago, UK Kat Von D said:

Cody was asked about the stipulation in one of their YouTube hype videos and said no comment. I imagine he will challenge at some point, but very far down the line and with a logical reason behind it. Can’t see it being any time soon, probably winning it from MJF in two years time or something 

Whereas I think it's far more interesting for him not to. How much more interesting will AEW be if stipulations and match-types matter? We've already had it made clear that an unsanctioned match can be pretty wild (which I think was part of the statement being made with that Moxley/Omega match), so if they don't use it often, it'll mean more.

If the main guy in the company can never challenge for the world title, that's much more interesting for me than how he'll find a way around it. If they educate us that stipulations are as meaningless as they are in WWE, it'll be a major problem.

• Paid Members

I'd like to see a long arc where Cody eventually earns the shot the hard way via a tournament where all the odds are stacked against him or something. Would make for a hell of a moment.

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, King Pitcos said:

To be fair, the small print on the stipulation did say he can't challenge for the title again unless he wins a tournament where all the odds are stacked against him.

There have been a few promotions that have done that storyline before, and it works. As for small print, you never struck me as the kind to quibble over that sort of thing; quite the opposite, surely? It's wrestling, they can get around it if they want to.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, King Pitcos said:

To be fair, the small print on the stipulation did say he can't challenge for the title again unless he wins a tournament where all the odds are stacked against him.

That a Russo "small print"?

You can break a stipulation. I don't think that's an issue. The best example I can think of is one I've just watched back on those brilliant YouTube videos - the Randy Savage retirement in 1991. That only lasted 6/7 months but was a brilliantly conceived angle that peaked with that crazy snake angle where they had people begging for them to bring him back. The flip side is something like Foley in 2000 where they didn't care enough to even conceive an angle or wait a while, they just laughed it off because they didn't care.

They could create a mid-card title out of this but I really want to see them hold off until the belt is on MJF and then have him goad Cody month after month until he eventually gives him the inkling of an opportunity. If they have the patience to do it, it could be amazing in another year or so.