The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Paid Members

What did we think about the big angles on the show?

I think the opening seg with Jericho's celebration could have (maybe would have) been awful but Jericho is just so bloody entertaining. His Dad popping put to go all Pete Rose was brilliant. Jericho slapping Justin Roberts will have pleased some. Live crowd seemed to enjoy some of the gags. In other hands, this could have been a car crash, we've seen that 100 times over the years, but worked here for me purely because it they're such great douchebags. Loved the heat for Sammy too. Virgil was dreadful. Shock, eh?

The Cody angle went down shit and I blame the commentary 100%. JR not knowing who the fuck the attackers are while Excalibur acts like everyone knows who they are made for the most cringeworthy atmosphere. Liked the look of the two guys. Particularly the "Butcher" who had a great old school look.

Elsewherw, particularly liked Moxley's promo work and the closing shot, MJF being a twat again, Dustin powerslamming people, Pac vs. Kenny and Scorpio's near fall on Jericho.

Women's match was meh again. No surprise. 

Hated, hated, hated Lucha Brothers losing. It's shit. Stop it. No one cares about rankings. Just put them over.

• Paid Members

I thought the opening segment was another home run for Jericho. In any other company and hosted by any other wrestler that would’ve died on its arse and been filled with shit jokes that got no reaction. Once again though Chris proves what a great mind he’s got for the business, with genuinely funny moments and big pops from the crowd. I particularly loved the life-size cardboard cut-out of him and Sammy. The rub he’s given that whole crew has been great so far.

That’s not to say the opening segment was without fault though. For the second or third straight time Christopher Daniels has somehow managed to not make an unmasking angle really work. They should be sure fire hits every time. I don’t understand how he keeps making them so wonky and awkward. I also could have done without AEW’s continued torturing of terrified animals on live TV, too. They clearly learned nothing from Cody’s poor dog.

The Cody angle was terrible. At the very least those guys should’ve had a vignette or two before debuting, I’m still none the wiser as to who they are.

MJF is the best.

Trent over the Lucha Bros? What the fuck?

Credit where it’s due. These new Scientology vignettes have saved the Dark Order’s act. It still feels super novel to have a company willing to listen and adapt.

"Freddie Mercury never looked so oriental... *panic*...asian...*panic*....female." - Jim Ross, with the touching Jim Cornette tribute. 

Fun main event. One or two of those false finishes completely got me. It made me wonder if they’d ever consider ripping off that brilliant angle when Jericho won the Title from Triple H on Raw for an hour or so. Loved that angle and I don’t think anyone has ever tried to repeat it. That and Bret Hart’s metal plate under his T-shirt to counter the spear. The two best angles that I can never believe people haven’t tried to copy.

But yeah, story of this show was what a superstar Moxley is. Even though I hated the Omega match it’s clearly added to his aura because he feels like the coolest, hottest thing going. I’m genuinely chuffed for the lad. Twelve months ago he was a knob head germaphobe without a prayer. Good for him.

Edited by Supremo

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Supremo said:

"Freddie Mercury never looked so oriental... *panic*...asian...*panic*....female." - Jim Ross, with the touching Jim Cornette tribute. 

At least he's finally realised it's a Freddie Mercury tribute instead of saying, "WHAT'S WITH THE MOUSTACHE?" over and over.

I'm not overly fussed about Butcher and the Blade as a team, but Andy Williams is an absolute hero, superb look, believable style, and a lot of fun to watch, he was one of my stand-outs of the Wrestlemania weekend indie shows this year, even if he does just look like someone pumped Dick Strawbridge full of super-serum. 

AEW for Everyone* *except animals.

Seriously, as has been said, they need to quit using live animals and I hope the AEW die hards give them stick for it like they would had WWE done it.

I had no clue who the new guys were. Ive seen a few 'well clearly you dont watch the indy scene' snob posts from a few on Twitter but, seriously, were we expected to know!?

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Snitsky's back acne said:

Seriously, as has been said, they need to quit using live animals and I hope the AEW die hards give them stick for it like they would had WWE done it.

When did WWE last use animals? Can't think. Wonder what the reaction would have been if Social Media had been around back in the day? The snakes, the parrot, the bulldogs. Was there a dragon (iguana) at one point?

4 minutes ago, Snitsky's back acne said:

I had no clue who the new guys were. Ive seen a few 'well clearly you dont watch the indy scene' snob posts from a few on Twitter but, seriously, were we expected to know!?

I don't think we were. I think Excalibur being a fucking know all completely confused the issue.

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

When did WWE last use animals? Can't think. Wonder what the reaction would have been if Social Media had been around back in the day? The snakes, the parrot, the bulldogs. Was there a dragon (iguana) at one point?

Steamboat was carrying about a tiny dragon in WCW for a bit. 

As for WWE, I know they had plans to use a horse for Taker at Mania one year but they opted not to because during the run through they decided it was too risky with the pyro and the crowd. Probably wise. I think he had a horse drawn carriage at the Rumble one year (maybe 06?) Before that, fuck, maybe WM 9? 

• Paid Members

Was Fifi the last regular animal act? I've got visions of a diva having a dog in a bag but can't quite recall that one.

Mania 9 had the camel Heenan arrived on and a Vulture. Mania in a zoo is long overdue.

Edit:

image.png.cab979e0643fc254ee88fdccb9c1cb23.png

Edited by tiger_rick

The Jericho stuff is essentially how the Hardyz were booking themselves in TNA. You wouldn't wanna do it all over the show, but "Here's your segment. Go wild" really can be a beautiful thing.