MPDTT

The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

2 hours ago, Chris B said:

Well if it’s by him turning heel then it’s makes sense that the Bucks would say he can’t do that. That’s why he’d be such a prick for doing it. 

It’s pretty pointless to over think now, because when it does happen it’ll be from a slow burn story. We will all know it’s coming, just like the MJF turn. When it does happen it’ll be a big moment 

He didn't really lose the match as he didn't tap or get pinned. Hell talk about that technicality and end up in a match against MJF where if he wins the clause is overturned? 

I thought the PPV was alright, but with the stipulations etc it felt like it should be a show that's taking place a year from now where circumstances have led to them having to have the unsanctioned match, or it being Cody's last shot. 

The Moxley/Kenny match was laughable in places. Watching him roll about on the mousetraps, and getting the Bucks & Page to bring that big barb wire thing out as if they've all been sat in a church hall or school gym the previous day assembling it. 

It's very easy to get around Cody's "promise". Most annoying will be the AEW fans who claim it's the best swerve ever, knowing if WWE dared to do the same they'd get put down something rotten. 

1 hour ago, DavidB6937 said:

It's very easy to get around Cody's "promise". Most annoying will be the AEW fans who claim it's the best swerve ever, knowing if WWE dared to do the same they'd get put down something rotten. 

Well WWE would have already gone back on the stipulation, so it is a bit different 

Just as a heads up since I couldn't post it with the forum down, but SCG Radio's return show was talking all about AEW Full Gear - every match, every angle, overall thoughts on the show, as well as an in-depth look at the promotion in general at this stage in the game, with thoughts on the strengths and weaknesses of Dynamite, the greatness of Chris Jericho, hot stars and cold prospects, what's good and bad about all things AEW thus far....

https://mcdn.podbean.com/mf/download/hps6ne/SCG_Radio_153_-_AEW_Full_Gear_and_Dynamite_So_Far.mp3

5 minutes ago, Liam O'Rourke said:

Just as a heads up since I couldn't post it with the forum down, but SCG Radio's return show was talking all about AEW Full Gear - every match, every angle, overall thoughts on the show, as well as an in-depth look at the promotion in general at this stage in the game, with thoughts on the strengths and weaknesses of Dynamite, the greatness of Chris Jericho, hot stars and cold prospects, what's good and bad about all things AEW thus far....

https://mcdn.podbean.com/mf/download/hps6ne/SCG_Radio_153_-_AEW_Full_Gear_and_Dynamite_So_Far.mp3

Unsurprisingly, I've listened to this. A really good comeback. Although you guys insist you really like AEW, you're very hard on lots of individual aspects of it. Particularly Karl who likes very little about it. A good listen though.

I absolutely adore AEW. I'm not exaggerating when I say it's rekindled my love for watching wrestling weekly spoiler-free. The things I feel are the strongest negatives, thankfully, are generally very small aspects of the overall picture. Karl is far more critical than I expected. 

They've developed this vibe about the show that is WCW at its best, that TNA tried for years to capture but never could (even when they had half the staff and roster of WCW.) The look of the show and the way the angles are presented are so good. The feel of it is what makes it. Its not perfectly, obviously, but they usually do more good than bad.

14 hours ago, Supremo said:

I always think back fondly to those Triple H matches with Taka Michinoku and Rikishi from the year 2000, where a plucky mid carder got a proper rub for going the distance in a fun match with a top star.

Then I realise that was nearly twenty years ago and I can’t remember WWE having done many since. 

By contrast, AEW have already done it twice in the space of a few weeks with Darby Allin’s matches with Jericho and Moxley, and now they’ve got another one this coming Monday with Scorpio Sky’s Title shot. Good stuff.

It's all in the follow up, really. WWE did similar just recently with Buddy Murphy. After the Roman and Bryan matches he seemed destined to break out as a new hot babyface. Instead they had go-nowhere Ali pin him clean the next week, removed him from the Lets Kill Roman angle, and then took him off TV for months. And when he finally did return they brought him back cold . . . as a heel. 

But yeah, I've seen nothing yet to suggest that AEW will fumble it with Darby and the like.

John Cena's debut was one. Most of John Cena's TV opponents for most of 2015 as well. A bunch of Seth Rollins' opponents since then. Buddy Murphy, as mentioned above. Humberto, more recently than that. There are loads, actually. It just doesn't really register so much in modern WWE, because it's only Brock who is a big enough star that it'd matter, and everyone else has a PPV-type match with everyone else all the time. And the issue of them not bothering to follow it up doesn't help, of course, although that was also true with the Taka vs HHH match and we still remember that one.

9 hours ago, King Pitcos said:

John Cena's debut was one. Most of John Cena's TV opponents for most of 2015 as well. A bunch of Seth Rollins' opponents since then. Buddy Murphy, as mentioned above. Humberto, more recently than that. There are loads, actually. It just doesn't really register so much in modern WWE, because it's only Brock who is a big enough star that it'd matter, and everyone else has a PPV-type match with everyone else all the time. And the issue of them not bothering to follow it up doesn't help, of course, although that was also true with the Taka vs HHH match and we still remember that one.

The Taka/HHH match is a funny one. I think we all remember it because it was more about the angle of Triple H as an arrogant heel champ thinking he was being clever by doing his mandatory title defence against a comedy jobber and almost getting his comeuppance. Plus, it was so out of the blue - all of a sudden we got this shock of seeing Taka look like he was threatening to beat a red-hot Triple H for the WWE championship. But that match was pretty much the climax of the mini-arc it was supposed to be; I don't think it could've gone much further than it did, if at all.

For me, that's actually a good example of something that I always liked: mini-storylines, self-contained within a show or a couple of shows, especially when it involves midcarders - gives them more of a purpose than simply being higher-level talent enhancement, and adds a bit more texture to a show in general.