The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

I don't watch this every week, but I caught this one.  It was... ok.  Weirdly, the best bit about it is the comedy/skits (Jericho etc), whereas I think we were promised a very sports oriented product.  The women's division is really poor, although Bea Priestly seems like a good addition.  Pentagon Jr is still the coolest character, they need to capitalise on him and push him as a singles star imo.

The presentation has improved since the start although the Jericho segment had unaccountably poor sound.  Really the whole thing feels like a proper WWE style show now, which is maybe why NXT still feels so different when compared to it.

• Awards Moderator

Just finished this week’s show and echo the problems everyone else had with it. More horrible animal abuse, Excalibur responding to the need for an explanation of Butcher and Blade by just saying their names over and over, etc.

Pac and Omega was the only match that really stood out. I’m not sure what it says about AEW as the hot new thing when Jericho, Dustin Rhodes and DDP are coming across as three of the biggest deals there. They’re all great, but it just seems that a lot of others are missing something that these guys showed in a few minutes of screen time. Maybe it’s just experience and everyone will get better with time?

Jericho vs Moxley makes sense as the next big match to go for.

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

A fucking mess of a show really, but that is the first time I've had to say anything like that about AEW.

So one of 'The Butcher and The Blade' is Braxton Sutter/Pepper Parks?! Fucking Braxton Sutter?!! They looked cool at least, and if that means Allie doesn't wrestle anymore I'm all for it.

I completely buy that DDP would batter both of those two (MJF/Wardlow), in exactly the same way I still buy Billy Gunn as legit. MORE.

Who is responsible for training Bea Priestley? It's rhetorical as I assume nobody did. One of the all time worst. Stadtlander on the other hand has bags of potential. She was good on Dark the other week too.

With regards to the female roster doing promos, and I know it's not the answer but quite a lot have occurred on Dark. Shida did one a few weeks back and it was adorable. I did not expect her to have better (or any!) English than the likes of Asuka, Kairi or Io. We've heard from Nyla Rose in the past, Big Swole (0-4!) and quite a lot about Shanna. But yeah fuck all on the main show bar maybe Riho and Britt.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Philjax said:

I completely buy that DDP would batter both of those two (MJF/Wardlow), in exactly the same way I still buy Billy Gunn as legit. MORE.

It made me laugh the other week when they did the old battle royale giant spot, with Billy Gunn doing the role of the giant. He does genuinely look massive compared to the whole roster though. 

So, made a point of watching Dynamite over the last month after realising its on the ITVhub come Friday. Like others, I’ve fallen into watching most other things via chopped up YouTube highlights. Being so easy to access and intrigued decided to give AEW a fair go. So here’s some random ramblings from doing so;

It’s an easy enough watch for sure, 2 hours flies by, although saying that, I’m still viewing it while doing other things so it’s never had me exactly completely engaged or engrossed either. There’s plenty I really don’t like about the product or just isn’t for me, but just about enough to keep me watching and intrigued how they develop.

The first full show I watched was that one that opened with the tag tourney match between Lucha Bros and Private Party, which was hardly an encouraging start. Basically featured just about everything I can’t stand about modern wrestling. Overly choreographed nonsense lacking all logic, seemingly completely forgetting the art of story and the idea of getting the audience to buy into what they’re viewing as a combative contest rather than an exhibition of gymnastics and spots. Unfortunately a common theme with AEW in general. I really like what I saw of Pentagon Jr in Lucha Underground and he being here is part of the reason I’m intrigued enough to bother watching. Feeling that Lucha Underground may have actually just been the perfect setting for him. But I’ll be interested if they separate the two of them down the line and what they’d do with their pushes. Private Party are shocking though, every match of theirs has been guilty of the same.

Get the impression that’s been the motive behind getting a lot of their roster in - does impressive flippy nonsense. Decided to watch the Dark shows too and yeah, the women’s roster is a right mess. Terrible, dead matches full of botches and all sorts of fuck ups and all far too long. On Dark they get so edited and chopped up due to this it’s confusing as fuck watching if you don’t realise why. Gibbs is one of those that seems to have been brought in because of her impressive athletic potential...and because she can perform a Sasuke Special, although one week it cut from just before the spot, to all the girls outside, so I assume something went wrong. She’s no way near ready for TV and I worry she’s going to do herself or someone else some serious damage. In particular, completely unnecessarily dumped Allie on Mercedes Martinez’ head, due to being out of position, but could have adjusted pretty simply to avoid it.  Car crash viewing.

I may be wrong, but I get the impression those things that I’m not enjoying about the product stem from the vision of wrestling the Bucks and Omega have. Almost everything Cody has been involved with I have thoroughly enjoyed. The same goes for Jericho, who’s been a riot in general and seems to be having the time of his life. And I’m generally not a massive fan of the guy, but he’s been playing a blinder so far. Also Pac, who is another being on board makes me interested enough to watch. Since his King of the Cruiserweights and then Bastard personas I think the guy is fucking superb. Genuinely one of the very best there is and one guy that WWE could have dropped a bollock with and that I’d build a company like AEW around.

Seen JR seems to be getting a bit of stick for his work here, I’ve quite enjoyed him but I think that’s all down to probably having similar tastes in wrestling and any grumbles he has with the product echoing mine. Something you get a sense irks him though, as it should, is a lack of direction or agenting of some matches or angles. WWE gets stick for being micro managed, again probably rightly so, but AEW on occasion seem too far the other way. Usually all the angles that have been home runs have involved Cody, but that Butcher and The Blade angle was a prime example of not clueing up everyone involved on what the objective was. Excalibur was terrible here, something really simple that shouldn’t have been allowed to happen.

The latest show was bad for this kind of thing in general. A fun segment to start the show with a completely flat, nonsensical ending. And several matches/angles featuring the same spots. Sometimes back to back. Emi Sakura seemed to hit a fucking crossroads which shouldn’t be happening. And Pac/Omega straight into Page/MJF both featured moonsaults from the top to the outside. To name just a couple of instances. Simple, little things that shouldn’t be happening. Didn’t like Moxley not going passed the “invisible wall” after Cody had referenced it just a few weeks back either. Mox, supposed to be a crazy badass who’d throw himself into any mental situation without thought or regard for his wellbeing looked odd and awkward just hanging back in the crowd when Jericho was inviting him in. Never been crazy on Moxley either, but he’s had his moments and is certainly coming across better than he did for much of his WWE run.

Obviously, they’re still a very young company so shit will happen and they do seem to grow and learn from any such instances. But they have to really, they’re on a big tv network right from the off. Slight concern also, that they’re going to burn through all their big matches pretty rapidly. But perhaps they’ve got a lot more people they hope to bring in and why they’re keeping the Lucha Bros as a unit for now.

• Paid Members

Its like when Red Dwarf would always have a cameo from someone Craig Charles was shagging in the early 90s. Everyone is getting a mate or a husband in.

Leatherface Page getting in the face of the new bodyguard would have been cool in about six months. Not a fortnight after he debuted. That big guy (who isnt as big as DDP) looked a right tosser. Its like Diesel showing up in 93 and Jay Strongbow not backing down from him.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

20 hours ago, Merzbow said:

So Marty Scurll's ROH contract supposedly ends tonight, do we reckon he'll be popping over?

It does, but he's still working Final Battle for them on the 13th December, so I think that'll provide a pretty good indication of his next move. If he goes out on his back come that show, I'd say it's a pretty safe bet to that he's heading off to AEW/NXT. 

If I had to choose between the two, I'd say AEW because his Elite mates are already there, and there's already a decent number of stories they can work around him. On the flip side, WWE would probably pay him a lot more money purely so that he wouldn't fuck off to TNT.

Would they even want him or trust him in WWE? I know there's one thing to try and fuck with AEW but would they want someone who's clearly close with the guys? It's a difficult one. Hire him and basically have him sit at home. Or use him well and show any unsettled AEW guys that there's a potential place for them elsewhere. Or just ignore him basically.

29 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

Would they even want him or trust him in WWE? I know there's one thing to try and fuck with AEW but would they want someone who's clearly close with the guys? It's a difficult one. Hire him and basically have him sit at home. Or use him well and show any unsettled AEW guys that there's a potential place for them elsewhere. Or just ignore him basically.

I don't see why they wouldn't trust him, what's he likely to do? Draw AEW in the air live on an NXT Takeover?

If they aren’t going straight into MJF/Cody it reeks very much of the way WWE dodged an immediate Bryan/Miz feud upon Bryan’s return to the ring. By the time they get round to it, it may very well have cooled off to the point there’s no interest in it.

Plus why would Cody give more of a shit about two randoms  attacking him as opposed to his storyline best friend betraying him? If it’s ‘fuck the personal feud for now because this happened more recently’ I’ll be a bit disappointed. I hope they don’t take that route.