The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

Only seen The Butcher and The Blade in their cool looking masks on social media but seeing them here I just thought “who are these old looking lads” at first I thought one of them was Silas Young. 

Yet ANOTHER Tag Team to add to the roster, JR trying to get Excalibur to explain who they were and why they were here just for him to blurt out their names was poor. 

Jerichos great as usual though.

Commentary was shocking in parts. JR in particular is clearly lost at times without Big Tony keeping him company.

Like the look of The Butcher, Blade and Bunny. Agree that JR and Excalibur ruined the whole debut though.

Love the Dark Order segments which are a good blend of wrestling camp and creepy undertones.

Jericho is AEW's ace and Moxely is a star.

Women's match was pretty dull. On one hand I hated the Joshi comedy spots (and I usually like that stuff) but on the other it did turn the crowd against Sakura who finally felt like a heel.

What the hell were they thinking sending Shida out there with a random in a losing effort though? Considering she went through the trouble of moving to the US from Japan, you'd think they would protect her more.

Women's division is all over the place even though I like most of the wrestlers.

First time Dynamite didn't leave me wanting more. Loved - Jericho's celebration. Predictably great. Sammy's a natural smarm and gets the perfect kind of heat, and he has fantastic chemistry with Chris Jericho. Santana and Ortiz are class as well. Pac/Omega was sparking, with an awesome, clever finish, and they might be turning it around with Kenny Omega. The goofy funny fuck. MJF is the most exciting kid in the business. Cody winning a squash match with a figure four is the kind of old school shit I'm here for. The Dark Order finally turned it around with some proper, well produced, compelling videos. And Moxley's been on fire the last couple of weeks. Hottest he's been since Double or Nothing. The Moxley/Omega feud was such a waste of potential, with two guys worst excess getting in the way. But all the stir from the unsanctioned match has only bolstered Moxley as a badass outlaw. I wasn't keen on him just standing in the rafters though. It felt like the 'invisible wall' had made its way to Dynamite.

A lot of things didn't click for me this week. Aside from Pac/Omega, every segment ended with a deflated feeling. SCU ruined Le Champion's party. The Lucha Bro's got pinned by goobers. A really flat follow up to the Cody/ MJF feud. (You could hear the air leave the room when the mattress was cut open. You'd have thought Bray fucking Wyatt was about to pop out. Blade, Bunny and . . . who the fuck? Their biggest blunder since the Dark Order debut). The DDP/MJF/Wardlow confrontation was limp as fuck too, and it seemed more about getting DDP over than anything else.

I don't get what's going on with the tag division. Feels like everyone's already been 50/50-ed and not even the Lucha Bros feel special right now. SCU are lame ducks as champions and their painfully crap gimmick is holding back Scorpio Sky.

Emi Sakura is go away heat. In fact the women's matches are becoming a real channel changer with these cold, overlong, awkward matches for no reason. Flesh out their characters and tell a fucking story.

Too regularly, the audio issues and the shit, distracting officiating makes the show feel low rent.

And it feels too soon for Jericho/Moxley. Surely the biggest match they can do. I love Dynamite, it's a fun, refreshing show, and I'm probably just feeling grouchy after missing morning coffee. But when I look at that roster in the long term, I worry. It's thin up top and has too many Bucks and Omega's little indie mates in the middle. 

And what the fuck was up with that poor guest commentator? Seems like everybody freezes as a guest inside AEW's booth.

Edited by Mr Butternut Squash

• Paid Members

The two old bald men attacking Cody got a genuine laugh out of me. They have a real Dark Order goofy vibe about them. Cody's been 100% with all his story lines so far though, so willing to give this a go.

Where the fuck was Tony this week? They better not be dropping him. 

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, cobra_gordo said:

The Butcher and The Blade!?! Holy shit. Andy Williams is a beast of a man who I've been a fan of for years. He juggles wrasslin with playing guitar

He does a cracking version of Moon River. 

• Paid Members

That crowd was shocking last night. They basically sat on their hands for the entire show. You could hear a pin drop in the main event right up until the false finishes at the end.

46 minutes ago, DEF said:

That crowd was shocking last night. They basically sat on their hands for the entire show. You could hear a pin drop in the main event right up until the false finishes at the end.

It wasn't a great show to be fair. Although I have enjoyed the crowds up until now so it was quite disappointing. I guess there will be weeks when just turning up and being AEW isn't going to be enough to get everyone going.

I kinda expected more from a Chicago crowd but yeah the show just felt off after the first segment, everything that could have been great was a little underwhelming.

The Butcher is the coolest looking fucker around but was such a lame way to introduce them, it was too slow and no-one had any idea who they were like when The Dark Order first shown up to no response.

I didn't think the crowd were particularly bad, especially considering how fatigued they must have been. Although they didn't seem at all into the main event until the near falls. I thought they did a poor job of getting Scorpio over this week, an interview or video package telling his story would have been so much better than that goofy rushed attack. 

They killed Orange Cassidy's pop with that fucking turkey suit. First time he wasn't funny.

I've been loving Dynamite but I thought there was a lot more wrong than right with this weeks show sadly.

The opening segment was brilliant however the ending with the idea SCU stood for 10 minutes in a band uniform to break it up to me made no sense.

I didn't mind Lucha Bros losing especially as I'm wondering whether their recent losses are going to lead to Pentagon turning on his own brother leading into a vastly entertaining feud between the 2 followed by a monster heel and entertaining face added to the singles roster at the expense of sacrificing a team from the stacked tag division.

Orange Cassidy in the comedy turkey spot for me was a poor choice and not funny at all. 

I feel JR is getting progressively worse on commentary. I actually feel that he commentates on shows as though he's watching it in the back and commenting on it as he goes as opposed to being aware he's on a live mic. I feel a lot of the things he says shits all over the product or things that are going on and Excalibur has to spend half his time talking too much to try and limit damage done by JR. He also sounds completely uninterested all the time as well.

I thought The Butcher & The Blade looked decent enough but I didn't see any sense or relevance in the from under the ring entrance. Why not have had Cody call MJF out as he did then have Allie come out as the character who we've previously seen as a girl next door type face with Cody confused as to why.

Have The Butcher & The Blade attack him from the crowd or wherever from behind, in street clothes, both at the same time for her to then walk down and raise their hands as she steps on Cody laid out in the ring.

Next week she could have came out in the catwoman/bunny cosplay with them and explained why. I just felt the whole segment was poorly executed.

Those appear from under the ring entrances for me should be reserved for "supernatural" style characters or otherwise surprise appearances from people we instantly know and recognise with an immediately identifiable reason as to why they are there.

I felt Wardlow/MJF looked stupid with DDP in not beating a 63 year old man down when they had the 2 on 1 advantage and he was getting in their faces.

Jericho vs Scorpio Sky was for me just a really bad match all round. I felt Sky looked nervous as hell and the timing of both of them seemed just a half second off as well. The crowd being near dead apart from the 1 near fall for Sky definitely didn't help things either.

Moxley is showing everyone he was right all along and what amazing potential he has is handled properly.

Overall it was the first time I'd watched the show and been left feeling underwhelmed as opposed to already looking forward to the next weeks show.

Edited by Jonny Vegas

I skimmed through this week after the first segment. As said it was all a bit off for me this week. A few things I haven't seen mentioned are I'm not sure where they're going with Kenny after that roll up win as it didn't feel like "redemption" and just left it up in the air to me.

The inner circle seem to have two or three run in brawls each show with different groups. It's nice to have story-lines merge but I don't see the need to repeat things with different groups on the same show. They also didn't make any deal at all of whichever Jackson it was returning, he just simply ran in wearing a hoody.

It's almost like their looking at WWE having no diverging story lines and going the other way but too far and not well. An analogy would be cooking a dish that is too salty so you throw a whole packet of sugar into it (not trying to make a "too sweet" reference here). 

I didn't like the Butcher/ Blade guys much really, who are they? I'll enjoy them if we get cat woman Allie on screen regularly through. 

It was in no way a bad show, but I agree with those who say it had its problems.

Why did SCU dress up as brass band members? They didn’t need to for that particular spot and it just made them look goofy. I’m starting to find them a bit irritating in general, they’re turning into New Day-lite.

The Butcher and Blade debut was pretty confusing. JR seemed to be pushing Excalibur for a better explanation, but it never came. I agree with whoever said vignettes would have helped. Anyone seen them before? What are they like in ring/on the mic?

I didn’t particularly like Lucha Bros losing to Best Friends. They’re an act with main event potential but it’s being squandered. Quit the 50/50 booking.

Wardlow’s confrontation with DDP was a bit cartoonish too. The fight for the ring did nothing for me on the whole, it seemed very low stakes.

And for Christ’s sake have SOMEONE in the women’s division cut a promo. That match was a mess at times, and I had no investment in anyone involved aside from Shida, who has a real star quality about her.

I loved the latest Dark Order vignette, and in a way it’s probably better that they’ve already debuted. If you saw THAT tag team after those fantastic vignettes you’d probably feel a bit underwhelmed. I hope they carry over the interest built up through these videos.

Guess the cutting through the ring gets the Blade part of their act over, but given how easy the ring apron can be moved to get out, makes no logical sense other than in a cage match to appear that way