The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

6 hours ago, Philjax said:

Who is responsible for training Bea Priestley? It's rhetorical as I assume nobody did. One of the all time worst. Stadtlander on the other hand has bags of potential. She was good on Dark the other week too.

Yup, Priestley was terrible again.  A liability in the ring and gets worse every time I see her wrestle.

According to the Observer Statlander was supposed to be in the next NXT class but there was some delay and AEW got in there first.  Good signing as they could do with some decent non-Japanese female wrestlers.

• Paid Members
On 11/30/2019 at 2:17 AM, kidzero said:

Isn't mjf married to an indy wrestler called that. 

No - he and Allie Kat/Stray Kat were an item, she moved halfway across the country to be with him, and then he almost immediately broke up with her and left her completely fucked over and basically homeless. 

On 11/30/2019 at 4:59 PM, Philjax said:

Who is responsible for training Bea Priestley? It's rhetorical as I assume nobody did. One of the all time worst. Stadtlander on the other hand has bags of potential. She was good on Dark the other week too.

Travis Banks and Will Ospreay trained her. Her biggest problem is that she'd probably be fine if she kept things simple, but she reaches for more ambitious things than she's comfortably capable of, and fairly consistently fucks them up. Throw in unprofessional shit like sandbagging Sadie Gibbs in the Battle Royal, and a reputation for working stiff for no reason, and I can't see any reason to keep her as a main focal point of the division unless it's purely as a bargaining chip for when Ospreay's contract comes up. She also has no real character to speak of, and always feels like she's playing a part, doing what she thinks A Heel Wrestler would do that in situation, rather than feeling like an actual human being. That they've had Jamie Hayter on the show, when she's basically everything Bea does but done better, yet still persist with pushing Priestley is infuriating.

Stadtlander is great, though, and the tag match on Dynamite left me wanting to see her and Emi Sakura in a singles match, rather than Emi being dragged down by Bea. 

Just now, The King of Old School said:

Has the shine gone already for this?

The viewership was pretty poor this week.

You should see my twitter feed. Apparently “viewership doesn’t matter” so long as you do better in the 18-49. It’s amazing how much people have learned about viewing demographics in the last 9 weeks. One guy even told me that the numbers were wrong, but stopped short of telling if that had been a 2 week phenomena or if the 7 previous weeks were wrong also

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, The King of Old School said:

Has the shine gone already for this?

The viewership was pretty poor this week.

As their audience skews younger, something like Thanksgiving Eve is more likely to hurt them than NXT which has an older audience. Evidence of that will only come if it rebounds next week. But yeah, very poor number. Can't blame the poor show either, it was coming off a decent one the week before.

For me at least, there’s still far too little promo/story content. Eric Bischoff, on the most recent 83 Weeks said that what sets AEW apart is the unscripted promos, not the matches and I tend to agree with that. There’s plenty of good wrestling on WWE programming so I don’t need AEW for that, and the consequences of the AEW matches rarely seem significant enough for me to care about the outcome. 

• Paid Members

50/50 booking and a shit womens division wasnt what was promised at the start of this venture. Man for man/woman for woman, NXT probably has the better roster as well. Take Jericho out of AEW, and who else is there on his level? I like Cody's character, but he doesnt dominate the show like Jericho has the ability to do. They really should have spent that 8 months looking for talent, rather than looking for their best friends Grandad's mate from the pub who wants a job.

Saw an interview with Jon Moxley yesterday and he was stating 'We have nobody to answer to in AEW - we can do pretty much what we want'.
Yeah, I'm not so sure that's a good thing to be honest.

He also did the 'we are an alternative to WWE' bit.
Honestly, I find myself going 'In what way is AEW alternative!?'

Edited by Snitsky's back acne

• Paid Members
14 minutes ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

50/50 booking and a shit womens division wasnt what was promised at the start of this venture. Man for man/woman for woman, NXT probably has the better roster as well. Take Jericho out of AEW, and who else is there on his level? I like Cody's character, but he doesnt dominate the show like Jericho has the ability to do. They really should have spent that 8 months looking for talent, rather than looking for their best friends Grandad's mate from the pub who wants a job.

There's no way lack of talent is any excuse. Jericho, Cody and Moxley are superstars. Pentagon, Fenix, Omega, Page, Pac, etc are great talents. They've got plenty to work with.

We can all see the women's division is useless. Agree about the 50/50 booking. Having everyone wrestle every week makes a mockery of their win/loss records too. there's just no way to keep it fresh if you're doing that. It's not unsurprising though. People jumped on the "sports" thing - and fair enough, they were stupid enough to say it - but anyone who expected it not to be just good old pro-wrestling was just setting themselves up to take a jab.

I think they've got better and better at mixing the matches with promos and segment. Last week was a poor one though, it felt like a WWE show and that's not a compliment.

Edited by tiger_rick

• Paid Members
49 minutes ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

While I completely agree with @tiger_rick that the lack of talent is absolutely not an issue, I would say there's a truth to them not spending enough time looking for talent.

The most exciting thing from the first press conference, for me, was the announcement that they would be partnered with OWE and AAA, and having PAC show up with a Dragon Gate belt. It all pointed to them working with other promotions, and a broad range of talent, that put me in mind of WCW bringing in cruiserweights from Japan and Mexico at a time when the US audience had never really seen that. That, coupled with a lot of the hype around them poaching WWE talent, created an idea of AEW as a place where absolutely anybody could show up, and you'd get a real diverse range of styles.

Instead, the AAA partnership amounted to one tag title match, then never being mentioned again, never having AAA talent appear on AEW TV (despite AEW talent working AAA shows), and the OWE partnership meant we got CIMA and sometimes T-Hawk, but none of the cool exciting new trainees. The Dragon Gate thing amounted to nothing. The WWE names ended up being, after the initial excitement of Jon Moxley, just Jake Hager, who's yet to even wrestle.

I think they've done well to manage expectations and not have people thinking that Randy Orton might jump ship or anything like that, but it does feel like we just see the same people every week. And not just at the main event level where you'd expect that, but it feels like we're seeing the same select few midcarders wrestle all the time, with not enough mixing it up, and definitely not enough promos.

Even with the shit women's division, I'd say the problem is almost entirely booking - and, again, that lack of diverse talent. When they did the Women's Battle Royal, they brought in Jazz and Mercedes Martinez, they had representation from Mexico, and a range of indie wrestlers we've not seen since, whereas on TV we get to see Britt Baker every week. They teased an Awesome Kong vs. Aja Kong match, and then never mentioned it again. I don't think you can call a women's division that has talent like Emi Sakura, Awesome Kong, Kris Stadtlander, Hikaru Shida and Shanna in it, and where even the worst of the regularly featured lot aren't as bad as the worst on NXT, but the complete lack of direction kills it.

1 hour ago, WyattSheepMask said:

You should see my twitter feed. Apparently “viewership doesn’t matter” so long as you do better in the 18-49. It’s amazing how much people have learned about viewing demographics in the last 9 weeks. One guy even told me that the numbers were wrong, but stopped short of telling if that had been a 2 week phenomena or if the 7 previous weeks were wrong also

Most of this logic has been people parroting Meltzer, without actually having understood what he said. It's not that viewership doesn't matter, but that ratings aren't the only - and in many ways, not the most important - metric. If the advertisers that are running commercials on AEW programming are wanting to appeal to the 18-49 demographic, then AEW "winning" in that key area is still significant, as it means the network are likely to be happy with the amount of money they're bringing in, which means they're likely to continue to be well supported by TNT, which bodes well for them in the long-term.

It's only the gibbering fanboys that have managed to turn that into "the numbers don't matter, AEW are winning even when they're not", but at the same time, absolute numbers don't tell the whole story if people are trying to frame this as a "war".

They aren't totally wrong in that it's the 18-49 demo that is important but that usually relates to shows on Broadcast TV (CBS, FOX, NBC, ABC, CW)

Where a show getting a 1.0 in the demo and having 9 million viewers would be in almost all daily ratings chart listed as having lost to a show that had a 1.5 in the demo but only 4 Million viewers

And In renewing a show, the show averaging 1.3 and 3 million would be more likely to be renewed then a show averaging 0.9 but 5 million viewers

In terms of wrestling though I dont think it's as Important a metric and Viewers has allways been what has seen to be more important (to the fans at least, backstage who knows)

Nxt will be beating AEW in both anyway if not this week then next if this trends continues and then there can be no arguments