The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Paid Members

As everyone is raving about, it was one of the better episodes of wrestling telly in a few years. The matches are usually always good, but it was all the extra character and story building stuff (I've been after since they started) that made this so memorable.

The Cody promo had you believing you were about to see a proper scrap. That's two weeks in a row they've had incredible promos from hands thriving with the freedom.

The Jericho thing was clearly him playing up the more Brent aspects of himself. It was brilliantly funny but also highlighted what a delusional arse Jericho is. They even poked fun at what a gormless looking bore Swagger is.

The closing brawl was really fun too.

I guess you can say with them limiting all the talk it doesn't half make the rare promo segments more memorable. When someone gets the promos time it's usually because they've got something to say.

• Paid Members

Yep. Between the Cody promo, Jericho's hilarious video and that Nitro brawl at the end, this was a cracking go-home show.

My favourite thing in wrestling right now is Tony Shciavone so obviously enjoying himself and it sounded like he was having the time of his life during that closing segment. Loved it.

• Paid Members

Between AEW and NWA, it's nice watching wrestling again and feeling like you didn't just wasted your time. WWE have done about as good a job as possible of running me off, so I'm thankful we've got the option of two shows that look the business and deliver what I'm after (for the most part).

The Countdown to Full Gear video does a mostly tremendous job of building the big matches imo.

Does nothing to build the women's title match which just further highlights how "meh" the division feels at the moment. Sure both wrestlers are Japanese (no idea how their english is) but they could have done something, hell anything to get people to care.

Kenny is coming off a smug prick to me though and I can't decide if that's intentional or not.

• Paid Members

Cody's promo put over himself as the courageous underdog babyface, Jericho as the dastardly heel, hyped up the title match, got over the high stakes of the stipulation, put over The Elite, Inner Circle and AEW itself and even set up anticipation for a future Elite vs Inner Circle match. All in about 4 minutes. A proper wrestling promo. Great stuff. WWE haven't had more than 20 above average promos in the past 5 years, AEW has had about 6 GREAT promos in four weeks.

Granted, I havent seen every Cody promo ever but last night was the first time that ive watched him speak and genuinely seen Dusty in him. Cracking promo, made me seriously hyped for the PPV even if I dont think the actual match will be that good, it will certainly tell a good story.

Looking forward to whatever the stip is for The Elite vs Inner Circle, certainly seems like Wargames but will they be allowed to use the concept/name?

Jerichos such a prick hes fantastic.

Great go home show.

55 minutes ago, Snitsky's back acne said:

Am seeing nothing of this 'superstar' he has been lauded to be for years.

After DDT Ultimate Party I'm convinced that Japan is the only place he looks the star he's portrayed as.

Might be better off going heel for a while in AEW. Been hinting that at the very least he's possibly going to be a heel in DDT if/when he goes back.

Edit.

As for Wargames they can just call it The Match Beyond or something and considering the amount of "timed battle royals" we see I'd be surprised if WWE can claim ownership of the match type.

Edited by The King Of Swing

What a go home show. That was probably my favourite Dynamite yet. Definitely the easiest to watch in terms of the matches themselves. Not every match was going at 1000 miles per hour or felt indieriffic enough to drive me up the wall.  The closing angle was a blast. I loved the interaction between all of the characters and how it built multiple matches for the PPV. It was like some of them old WWF Attitude angles where multiple feuds all wrap up together.

Cody's promo was a bit of a classic. It absolutely crushed any babyface promo I've seen in years. It had it all, really. Cody doesn't pop off the screen much physically but his emotion comes bursting through, and Christ, that's something that's been missing. That's three promos in less than a month that have blown the fucking roof off. This, even more than the Moxley promo beforehand, completely exposes how utterly shit WWE promos have been for years and years now. I remember a few months back on here somewhere, there was a little debate on who comes across as a bigger star - Cody or Seth Rollins? Fucking hell! Imagine still thinking it's anywhere close.

Not too keen on Cody's actual announcement though. Feels like a unnecessary stip to the PPV match.

The Chris Jericho spoof package was incredible. I'm all for comedy on Dynamite if this (and Orange Cassidy!) is the standard they can deliver. This was fucking brilliant, the most genuinely funny wrestling thing I can ever remember seeing. There was so much in that video to love, so many fun and rewarding touches to it. And Jericho just gets better by the week. I think it'll be a mistake if they take the belt off of him at Full Gear. As much as I enjoy Dynamite, it really wouldn't be on the same level without Jericho in the middle of it all.

The Omega/Moxley vid was also tremendous. Watching that main event, though, I did struggle to get past Kenny Oliver's "preening, prancing and pointing". Thanks Jim!

Loving PAC's heel work so far. A proper heel. The opener was good until the goofed ending and I wouldn't mind seeing more of Trent in singles matches.

The Private Party match was nowhere near as horrific as the semi-finals match with the Lucha Bros. It was actually quite good. Subverting the hot tag trope is the kind of 'innovative' wrestling I can get behind. This is one of them things that I'm probably alone on, but I hate that they've chucked a bin bag over Evil Uno's flab bod. Maybe it's because I love Buddy Rose, Blackwell and bods from the 80's, but the way he looked really don't bother me. It helped him standout from the pack if anything. Covering him up has really diminished his aura for me. But Dark Order are a great team despite the awful, awful gimmick. They're more than fine as the undercard tag guys.

The women's match was decent this week, although they dropped a bollock by announcing Riho vs Sakura for the PPV too early. I like the look of Hayter, seems like someone that could inject the division with some personality. Her coming out as the gobby, jack jawing heel followed by her Freddie Mercury impersonating tag team partner really hurt my head. I like Emi Sakura, but Christ, this gimmick is the absolute worst, at least for a heel.

I was wondering if Tony was being sarcastic last week with his TOPE SUICIDA bit. This week his "YESSS!" was definitely taking the piss. Even Tony is sick of them.

The only thing that made me want to switch over was the Brandi Rhodes thing. The video itself is harmless daft nonsense but it's the fact that it's more Brandi that kills me. She's fantastic as a manager and one of the best talkers they have. But this ain't it. Why are they not doing anything like this for the girls that are on the PPV that desperately need some kind of hook? I hate the suffocating Stephanie McMahon shtick of turning heel or face on a dime as well. And all this is for Awesome Kong in 2019? No thanks!

On the other hand, the under-use of Tully Blanchard is criminal. Hopefully once the PPV is out of the way they will start putting more focus on the mid-card with them awesome videos and character profiles they do.

Edited by Mr Butternut Squash