Saudi Shitshow

tiger_rick

Well if you're wrestling Goldberg, the match has to cater to his strengths. That means, no fucking tombstone reversals. No ringpost spots. I wouldn't even have him run the ropes. Whoever produced that match was insane. I do think WWE knew these limitations going in, but their hands were tied in that they were forced to put on a longer match for the money the general authority was paying them. 

I don't think Goldberg will wrestle again, but he is more than capable of having another match that doesn't expose his weaknesses if booked correctly.

Edited by Richard

As much as his star has plummeted since what should have been his Mania send off years ago, all it would take for me to get back on board with Taker would be a new look. One of the main frustrations of his special appearance runs is he seems in denial about what he looks like or can do. Then again, that might be dictated by on high, either Vince who likely wouldn't recognise him if he didn't look like the Taker he can remember from 5 years ago, or the Saudis who want their e-fed PPVs to look just so.

Ditch the hair dye or buzz it entirely. Bin the Ronseal. Get a fitted tunic top with shoulders like just pre Ministry for in-ring gear. Pattern up your pleather trousers so at least they look special instead of just being there to hide the industrial strength knee braces. And maybe, just maybe, closet the Tombstone, or at least work into it from a top rope cut off so you don't have to haul the lump up yourself.

You do wonder whether WWE are also using Goldberg in these matches to stop him considering or going to AEW. Even at 52 he would be a massive draw for AEW you would think so WWE are happy to pay him $6m or whatever it is for the rumoured 3-4 matches in the next year or so. 

4 hours ago, Briefcase said:

You do wonder whether WWE are also using Goldberg in these matches to stop him considering or going to AEW. Even at 52 he would be a massive draw for AEW you would think so WWE are happy to pay him $6m or whatever it is for the rumoured 3-4 matches in the next year or so. 

For their level and current schedule, AEW aren’t having any trouble drawing money. Booking Goldberg would alienate their core fan base (“PART TIMERS SUX PUSH THE YOUNG GUYS”) as well. He’s not a good fit for the brand.

Who are some likely opponents for him in WWE if he is doing a few more matches? Assuming he’ll only be wrestling big names, a match with Shane McMahon would surely be on the cards. Big Bill wouldn’t have to take many bumps, he can clatter Shane around the ring, and there’d be a big crashmat stunt for the finish.

I wonder if Saudi money would tempt Austin back into the ring. Saudi money could deliver Stone Cold vs Goldberg. And Undertaker vs Sting.

• 2 years later...
1 hour ago, wordsfromlee said:

According to Wrestlenomics, WWE have made more in 2 years from the Saudi deal than every WrestleMania combined in ticket sales.

These shows aren't going to be stopping any time soon, regardless of how shit they are.

xejquh3sd3n71.png?width=1024&auto=webp&s

That’s well selective. It’s like comparing two totally different things. 

While obviously the comparison is selective as WrestleMania also has merch, ppv, network subscriptions and sponsors it is interesting that they can get so much compared to 36 WrestleMania shows ticket sales for 5 shows that they have to put fuck all effort in for. The matches are all throwaway where as with Mania they have months of TV pushing it. It is a very high amount of money compared to what they are getting now for an event. I doubt Mania brings that much in after sales for the takeover, HoF, Raw/ Smackdown plus the actual show tickets plus venue merch and extra subscriptions. 

• Paid Members

Surely you'd compared tickets to tickets or gross to gross. Such an odd comparison. 

Why not compare them to the buys for Mania. I'm sure it would be just as impressive that the shows made them more money than all but the most successful Manias