Paid Members Onyx2 Posted October 6, 2019 Paid Members Posted October 6, 2019 36 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said: he's nowhere near Mike Tyson level famous That's kinda the point. I'm being overly grouchy sure; I'm probably way out of WWE's target demographic now. I'm sure their market research is impeccable and they have picked the perfect outsiders to bring in the fresh eyes their advertisers want. Just like Lawrence Taylor. Quote
Paid Members tiger_rick Posted October 6, 2019 Paid Members Posted October 6, 2019 That's not a great comparison. Every one on the planet knew who Mike Tyson was. Not only because of his boxing brilliance but because of his conviction and his biting of Holyfield's ear. Loads of people won't know Tyson Fury. Especially on the US were he's only had one high profile fight. Suspect there are many fans who couldn't pick Deontay Wilder out of a line-up. Heavyweight boxing isn't what it was. Quote
Paid Members Arch Stanton Posted October 6, 2019 Paid Members Posted October 6, 2019 I did qualify my point by saying Fury isn't the star that Mike Tyson was, but in 2019, nobody is. Pop culture has changed. Fury is still a big star and has a broader appeal than many of the American sports stars or actors they've used for similar angles over the past decade. I'd rather see WWE making this sort of effort to pull in some fresh eyes on their shows than not bothering at all. Quote
Philjax Posted October 6, 2019 Posted October 6, 2019 I honestly can't believe how awful this show was. Quote
DavidB6937 Posted October 6, 2019 Posted October 6, 2019 20 minutes ago, Philjax said: I honestly can't believe how awful this show was. You should become a professional critic with that analysis. Quote
Awards Moderator Frankie Crisp Posted October 6, 2019 Awards Moderator Posted October 6, 2019 32 minutes ago, Philjax said: I honestly can't believe how awful this show was. I don't care what the evidence points to but if you honestly think Smackdown was bad you're a moron. Smackdown's name is being heavily tarnished here with Fox’s ineptitude. Quote
Briefcase Posted October 6, 2019 Posted October 6, 2019 3 hours ago, Arch Stanton said: I did qualify my point by saying Fury isn't the star that Mike Tyson was, but in 2019, nobody is. Pop culture has changed. Fury is still a big star and has a broader appeal than many of the American sports stars or actors they've used for similar angles over the past decade. I'd rather see WWE making this sort of effort to pull in some fresh eyes on their shows than not bothering at all. To be fair in the UK most people probably know Tommy Fury from Love Island than Tyson Fury such is how pop culture is these days. Mind you that might not be a bad thing if that's the road WWE want to go down, if the likes of Tyson Fury (and Tommy Fury) are tweeting/getting involved then its more followers/eyes on the product, YouTube views etc. Quote
Bohan Posted October 6, 2019 Posted October 6, 2019 It's all so rare on WWE television these days that we get a big time main event, a massive suprise debut and a hook for next week's Tele - yet people still want to piss and moan. We've been absolutely spoilt this week with wrestling and as a fan for over 30 years I've bloody loved every moment of it. Forget about ITV don't deserve wrestling, wrestling fans don't deserve wrestling! The entitled era can bloody do one! Quote
Mark_Doctor Posted October 7, 2019 Posted October 7, 2019 16 hours ago, Bohan said: It's all so rare on WWE television these days that we get a big time main event, a massive suprise debut and a hook for next week's Tele - yet people still want to piss and moan. We've been absolutely spoilt this week with wrestling and as a fan for over 30 years I've bloody loved every moment of it. Forget about ITV don't deserve wrestling, wrestling fans don't deserve wrestling! The entitled era can bloody do one! Let's be honest the look of the show hasn't changed much at all. That's disappointing. I'm talking about the way the matches are shot, the lighting, Michael fuckin' Cole. It's just so antiseptic and kills any potential enjoyment that a surprise debut or cliffhanger might have for me. Quote
d-d-d-dAz Posted October 7, 2019 Posted October 7, 2019 (edited) Given the current brand-fan relationship, I’m actually quite worried that Tyson might get a terrible reception when he’s given a live mic tonight. Full heel is the route, I guess, but they tend not to do that with celebrities. Is Federline the last heel celebrity? Edited October 7, 2019 by d-d-d-dAz Quote
Wrasslin Posted October 7, 2019 Posted October 7, 2019 35 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said: Given the current brand-fan relationship, I’m actually quite worried that Tyson might get a terrible reception when he’s given a live mic tonight. Full heel is the route, I guess, but they tend not to do that with celebrities. Is Federline the last heel celebrity? Why worried? He's a cunt. I hope he's booed out of the building. Quote
King Pitcos Posted October 7, 2019 Posted October 7, 2019 48 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said: Given the current brand-fan relationship, I’m actually quite worried that Tyson might get a terrible reception when he’s given a live mic tonight. Full heel is the route, I guess, but they tend not to do that with celebrities. Is Federline the last heel celebrity? Mayweather turned heel, he was more recent than K-Fed. A fair few of the guest hosts were after that and played heel as well. Quote
Factotum Posted October 7, 2019 Posted October 7, 2019 Quote Loads of people won't know Tyson Fury. Especially on the US were he's only had one high profile fight. Fury is very well known in the US. Someone like Wilder and AJ aren't that popular, but Fury is across all the sports channels over there. He's huge Quote
David Posted October 8, 2019 Posted October 8, 2019 On 10/6/2019 at 12:34 PM, tiger_rick said: Loads of people won't know Tyson Fury. But more people will know who he is now, right? I think that's the whole point as far as Fury's concerned. Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.