The Smackers Thread

PowerButchi

2 hours ago, Mat said:

Yeah I’d say they did a better job concentrating on the “current” than the nostalgia pops. 

Its like there was another wrestling show on this week that concentrated mostly on wrestling and gave them a kick up the ass. 

It isn't about the nostalgia pops though. I am more making the point of it being your first show, you've advertised these people that old fans will tune in specifically to see and then they've not turned up. 

Why should they fans stick around when you've already falsely advertised to them on the first show? 

Zero complaints with that show. 

Better than usual Raw, two effectively indie bait promotions doing the Wednesday night war, and Cain Velasquez, Tyson Fury and The Rock showing up on Smackdown. It's been an immensely enjoyable week of wrestling. 

This is the quiet part of the year still, right?

Edited by Gay as FOOK

1 hour ago, FUM said:

It isn't about the nostalgia pops though. I am more making the point of it being your first show, you've advertised these people that old fans will tune in specifically to see and then they've not turned up. 

Why should they fans stick around when you've already falsely advertised to them on the first show? 

Oh no I understand and agree with you there. It’s a shame they did advertise them because aside from that, I didn’t see anything to complain about. In all honesty, and it may be because I’ve had a busy week, but until coming online and seeing that they hadn’t appeared, I’d forgotten they were advertised to.

• Paid Members

The slow realisation that it was Velasquez coming out with Rey and not his kid worked absolutely brilliantly. Best WWE moment in a long time for me. The Fury interaction was a close second, both were played perfectly. I thought the show was a really strong start to the Fox era.

• Paid Members

I do fear for Cain. He's a great athlete, but he never showed any charisma or personality in UFC. Who knows, maybe he'll realise this is showbiz so will try. No idea why he decided to get his tits out. Beats Jack Swagger, I suppose.

Brock smashing Kofi after one F5 was brilliant. I bet Kofi had a proper match planned but Brock told him to piss off, it's a telly match.

Fury, on the other hand, is a natural fit. Big, legit and doesn't mind making a fit of himself.

Overall, it was a good show.

• Paid Members

I compared Kofi's title reign to Championship Manager 01/02, when you cant be arsed with the mid-season boring shite, so you go on holiday and leave the assistant manager in charge. And when you come back off holiday, John Curtis is at right back and you've signed Neil Redfearn for some reason. Brock was just putting things back to how they should be. The quicker the better, because Kofi's title reign was quite uninspired. Would have been better if the bell rang and Brock just punched him and pinned him.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

4 hours ago, FUM said:

Any old fans that tuned in specifically to see Austin & Undertaker weren’t going to stick around anyway.

The key to getting old fans or casual fans back regularly is to grab their attention with something else involving the current full-time roster on a show like this which they have tuned in for.

If one of these hypothetical fans liked The Fiend last night for example, enough to think “I’d like to see him in a match”, I doubt they would Deprive themselves of that just because Undertaker wasn’t there.

Edited by dopper

• Paid Members

10 million views. They’d be mad to not pay this off if they can. Especially considering what a massive fan Cormier is. They can even call back to those pictures and videos of Cormier marking out at Seth Rollins cashing in on Brock at Wrestlemania! 

D692CE82-F1E6-4210-81B4-FD5519FE81DE.thumb.jpeg.5e99d5d22f1f4d242d0972013b3df010.jpeg

• Paid Members

Pollock has said Cain has come out of the USADA Pool, so it might not be as short term as others are predicting. 

DC is an absolute no brainer here. Hell, bring in AKA as a stable and have Brock kick the shit out of Rockhold for the bants.