Today I learned...

SpursRiot2012

The start of Ante Up, where they shout something that sounds like "apple juice" is actually a shout of Amadou in relation to the shooting of Amadou Diallo. I knew it was not apple juice but never had a clue what it actually was.

I did some digging on this a while ago and "Amadou" is one of a few hypotheses, but not my favoured one. The comment thread for the lyric at Genius.com presents evidence for three possibilities. I'll try to give the gist of the evidence for each:

1. "Amadou!" - Diallo Amadou was shouted out on a lot of rap songs around 2000, including by M.O.P on Operation Lockdown which appears on the same album as Ante Up.
  2. "Rrrrrapper Dude!" - When asked in an interview with Pete Rosenberg what he's saying on "that joint" Lil' Fame replies that he's "saying 'Rapper Dude'" based on an old nickname of his ('Slapper the Rapper'). They don't explicitly say that they're talking about Ante Up, but it seems likely that they are. Not least because Hot97 chose to use Ante Up as the background music for the clip.
  3. “BRRR Abado!” - Sony BMG explicitly refer to the line as “BRRR Abado” in a court document submitted as part of Sony’s lawsuit against WWE/John Cena for sampling the line without proper permission. The document was obtained by TMZ. Check it out here: page 5, para 26.

I think it's either "Rrrrrapper Dude!", or it's "Amadou!" and for some reason Lil' Fame didn't want to say that on camera. It does sound more like Amadou, but the man himself says it's not.

"BRRR Abado!" is surely the interpretation of a Sony BMG intern given the unenviable task of transcribing the lyric for the court submission.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...