Today I learned...

SpursRiot2012

• Paid Members

That at Chinese weddings the bride/groom give you money in a red envelope if you are younger than them and unmarried (and tenuously related to them by being the boyfriend of their cousin.)

Another thing I learned is that I am damn glad I'm not Chinese. Not only do you have to do the above, you are then expected to give much more money to people who get married down the line.

I learned Chinese people can EAT. A hog roast for lunch and a private rented ice cream van after the wedding service and then a 12 course meal in the evening.

But most importantly I learned that I am not entirely unable to control myself. An incredible amount of alcohol was offered to me and often entire bottles of wine were just plonked down in front of me, but I was able to stay sober. Coming up six weeks now!

Good for you. After 6 years of not drinking, that doesn't bother me anymore. It's the fact that everyone is SUCH an insufferable cunt when they're drunk and you're sober. It makes me depressed to think of what I must've been like.

Anyway good work. Interesting about the money thing. I think in Indian culture you're suppo to give quite random amounts for Birthdays, Christmas etc. £101 rings a bell

• Moderators

Good for you. After 6 years of not drinking, that doesn't bother me anymore. It's the fact that everyone is SUCH an insufferable cunt when they're drunk and you're sober. It makes me depressed to think of what I must've been like.

Anyway good work. Interesting about the money thing. I think in Indian culture you're suppo to give quite random amounts for Birthdays, Christmas etc. £101 rings a bell

You can give whatever amount you want, but you're generally supposed to give a one pound in there for luck, so 21, 51, 101, whatever..

• Paid Members

You can give whatever amount you want, but you're generally supposed to give a one pound in there for luck, so 21, 51, 101, whatever..

That explains the bid for Suarez a couple of years ago then.

Well done on your progress, Jobber.

• Paid Members

Yeah well done, Riot.

I learned yesterday that I'm woefully unfit at the moment. I was having a little kickabout with my nephews (15 and 8 years old) over the park and I was well knackered after about 10-15 minutes. I haven't put any weight on but I haven't exactly been eating healthily recently and I've slacked big time on exercise lately as well. Little bastards ran me ragged. Between that and the fact I'm 30 in less than two months...not good.

• Paid Members

Well done on staying sober! I can't even put myself in situations where alcohol is present yet.

The next few days will be difficult for me I reckon as I'm home alone and I could easily drink and nobody would ever know (unless I drunkenly call them which is very possible). I think that might be the hardest part. At the wedding, I was around people who were very supportive and all that. Alone, it's harder. But fingers crossed.

Thanks for the kind words guys and I'm glad this has become more thread worthy as a "Things I learned today..." thread. Sometimes I do rue the demise of Comments that don't deserve a thread.

Yeah good point. Boredom is the killer. My only lapse in the last few months has been when left alone. I try to plan things for the morning, or things that involve driving so I won't blotto the night before.

Good luck, dude.

TIL a new follower on Twitter is the poster above after clicking the link in their sig.

• Paid Members

When I first worked for the chinese I would get paid £21 a night for washing dishes, £1 a week for luck?