Today I learned...

SpursRiot2012

Some prick beside me even started shouting “Huns”. I asked him did he know what a hun was and he said “English proddy cunts!”.

I've never heard this before, what does Huns mean? I'm also from Dublin for what its worth (Ballyfermot to be more precise :cool:)

Derogatory slang for Protestant isn't it?

• Paid Members

It is derogatory for protestant, yes. Or German. Or Orangemen.
Absolutely unreal in this day and age and I'm pure kicking myself I didn't ask him who he supported.

It was like when Walter Smith was manager of Everton and I'd get a bit of stick in the pubs in Dublin for showing my colours because Smith was ex Rangers and we had a few of their old guard at the time. Mostly from United fans who'd forgotten that Ferguson played for Rangers. They didn't like that being thrown at them.

The hypocricy of football fans over here (not all, obviously, but where I'm from - Donagmede/Coolock area - they're ten aplenty. One day wearing Celtic colours, the they'd be showing their United, Liverpool or Chelsea colours - forgetting Chelsea's hooligan ties with Rangers and Linfield.

That's why I hate talking football with most cunts over here.

I have no time for hatred or religion in football. No fucking time for it at all.

EDIT - Actually, there's a bloke in work who really gets my goat up. He's Leeds, Celtic, Barcelona and Shamrock Rovers. Every time any of those clubs are playing he says "we".

Case in point "We thought Juvé a lesson on Saturday".

Apologies for the aggressive tone to my post, lads, it just really, truly winds me up.

Edited by Scott Malbranque

• Paid Members

Today I learned that HSBC stands for Hong Kong and Shanghai Banking Corporation.

Not exactly Earth shattering, but it never crossed my mind before.

I also learned that when not doing one of his characteristic sneers, Rik Mayall really was a handsome bastard.

Edited by Nostalgia Nonce

• Paid Members

Unfortunately, there is a small minority of part time Ireland fans who only appear when the team are playing England, or when they are doing well (as someone who did every home and away game in the run up to qualification for Euro 2012, I was stunned at the contrast in behaviour of some of the "fans" who turned up in Poland to those who went to places like Slovakia and Macedonia). So please don't take that as an indicator of the sort of Ireland fans that generally go to games, I don't know anyone who goes regularly who would dream of booing another national anthem.

However, I would say calling someone a 'gypsy bastard', unless you had an in-depth conversation about their heritage and determined definitively that they were from a travelling background, and not that you are just using it as a pejorative and largely inaccurate term for an Irish person, seems somewhat unnecessary.

(If I have the wrong end of the stick, and this is some kind of satirical pastiche of football fans, please ignore the above ) 

I'm Irish. From Dublin, Mim.

Ah ok, no worries. Apologies for going on the defensive there!

• Paid Members

Cannot believe i've just came across this but i've just been informed tonight by my wife that creams and ointments are designed with a pointed edge inside the lid in order to break the tinfoil seal.

pierce_tube.jpg

As i sat furiously stabbing at it with my car keys. Honestly can't believe i've never noticed that before. :mellow:

• Paid Members

Today, news came out of Ron Moody, Christopher Lee, Dusty Rhodes, and my workmate Leslie, who was a really nice person, and definitely one of my favorite people in this office. She'd recently been diagnosed with an ongoing illness, and passed away from pneumonia yesterday. At least she got to go home from hospital and watch the Tony Awards, and drink some soup. What a fucking day.

Cannot believe i've just came across this but i've just been informed tonight by my wife that creams and ointments are designed with a pointed edge inside the lid in order to break the tinfoil seal.

pierce_tube.jpg

As i sat furiously stabbing at it with my car keys. Honestly can't believe i've never noticed that before. :mellow:

Yes I discovered that a few years ago with Tomato puree. I was astonished at the time too.

Edited by Zebra Kid Mark

• 1 month later...