Today I learned...

SpursRiot2012

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, Nostalgia Nonce said:

So essentially, a lot can be learned from George Harrison.

He's a top bloke. Life of Brian may never have seen the light of day unless he stepped in to fund it. He's that good.

Edited by Kaz Hayashi

• Paid Members
On ‎08‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 1:54 PM, WyattSheepMask said:

Well, what a nice fella

Top marks.

George was the best Beatle, agreed. Best solo career of the lot of them, and all.

Edited by BomberPat

• Paid Members

All Things Must Pass by Harrison is the best solo album released by a Beatle. By a distance in my opinion. Beware of Darkness is probably one of my top ten songs ever, the chord structure is magnificent. I rarely find that double albums justify the length, but my god, that one does. It is the work of a musical genius who had been pent up largely for a decade behind the power of Lennon and McCartney. 

Edited by Gus Mears

• Paid Members

Absolutely - All Things Must Pass wins it for George by a country mile, for me. I don't think any of the others have ever released anything as good; there are gems in all of their work, but Harrison pips it for me.

Pent up behind Lennon & McCartney is a great description of it - for me, Lennon's solo work, and a lot of McCartney's early stuff, feels like they're trying to find their feet and figure out who they are outside of the Beatles, while All Things Must Pass is the sound of George Harrison knowing exactly who he was and what he wanted to do, but only now having the chance to show it. It's a far more musically mature album than anything McCartney would manage until Band On The Run, and only Plastic Ono Band touches it from Lennon's back catalogue. And as far as a marquee "iconic" song to take away from a solo career, give me "My Sweet Lord" over "Imagine" any day.

What I find interesting is the directions they go in - McCartney always seemed to be stuck with a reputation of being the "safe" boring one while Lennon was the true creative force, and not entirely without reason, but McCartney released "Temporary Secretary", which is a delightfully bonkers little track, and some genuinely innovative stuff on Band On The Run, while remaining firmly within a pop sensibility, while Lennon's musical experimentations were, by and large, comprised of him disappearing up his own arse. And sodding "Imagine". And "Rock N Roll"! I love a good rock and roll covers album, but you forego any reasonable claim to the role of "the experimental one" the moment you release one.

Not to be too harsh on Lennon, I will concede that he released some bloody brilliant stuff. Even while firmly up his own arse.

26 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

Not to be too harsh on Lennon

You can never be too harsh on him.  I don't mean to be an arse, but check out the "Beatles Appreciation Thread" on here for some wonderful discussion.  I think even Frankie Crisp may have posted in it once.

• Paid Members
40 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

Absolutely - All Things Must Pass wins it for George by a country mile, for me. I don't think any of the others have ever released anything as good; there are gems in all of their work, but Harrison pips it for me.

Pent up behind Lennon & McCartney is a great description of it - for me, Lennon's solo work, and a lot of McCartney's early stuff, feels like they're trying to find their feet and figure out who they are outside of the Beatles, while All Things Must Pass is the sound of George Harrison knowing exactly who he was and what he wanted to do, but only now having the chance to show it. It's a far more musically mature album than anything McCartney would manage until Band On The Run, and only Plastic Ono Band touches it from Lennon's back catalogue. And as far as a marquee "iconic" song to take away from a solo career, give me "My Sweet Lord" over "Imagine" any day.

What I find interesting is the directions they go in - McCartney always seemed to be stuck with a reputation of being the "safe" boring one while Lennon was the true creative force, and not entirely without reason, but McCartney released "Temporary Secretary", which is a delightfully bonkers little track, and some genuinely innovative stuff on Band On The Run, while remaining firmly within a pop sensibility, while Lennon's musical experimentations were, by and large, comprised of him disappearing up his own arse. And sodding "Imagine". And "Rock N Roll"! I love a good rock and roll covers album, but you forego any reasonable claim to the role of "the experimental one" the moment you release one.

Not to be too harsh on Lennon, I will concede that he released some bloody brilliant stuff. Even while firmly up his own arse.

Absolute perfect summary

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Sergio Mendacious said:

Related — TIL that obscurely infamous self-sucker Dr. Infinity was a nanny for Sean Lennon, until he showed off his party trick to the lad*

*probably, anyway.

Whilst that is very erotic, and seeing as Keith has gone to the trouble of reviving the Beatles thread, I'll steer off from Lennon and co with this little belter my colleague told me today...

The term used for a group/collective of Rhinos is a 'crash'.

How did I not know that, it seems like it should be something everyone knows about... do ya? Do ya all know??

4 hours ago, BomberPat said:

And "Rock N Roll"! I love a good rock and roll covers album, but you forego any reasonable claim to the role of "the experimental one" the moment you release one.

Wasn't that album more to do with him being sued for Come Together and agreeing to do some Chuck Berry numbers as a settlement?

I thoroughly recommend the book You Never Give Me Your Money. It's an insight into their financial situation, court cases, and Apple, as well as their personalities and what was going on in their lives from pre-Beatles through to the noughties. They all have their shitty moments - Ringo having the least - but I suppose that's to be expected with the incredible fandom and pressure they were under. It could make anyone go a bit nutty.

I'm used to reading sanitised stories of Beatles being great, but there's loads of odd shit I wasn't aware of. Lennon getting into an argument with Yoko Ono at someone's house and then going off and shagging a woman in one of the rooms knowing Ono was stood outside, and then finishing up and leaving with Yoko is one.

• 2 months later...