Today I learned...

SpursRiot2012

Gus, that's a cool fact but I'm not sure it checks out. Even if the parents of each generation gave birth at the age of 50, that would mean the first child was born in 1840, and the grandchildren born in 1890. That would make the grandchildren 128 years old.

Actually decided to google it. Curiosity got the better of me. The ages were 75 and and 63 respectively when they had their children. That's some longevity of sexual activity, especially considering the shorter lifespans back then. Blimey. 

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, Undefeated Steak said:

Gus, that's a cool fact but I'm not sure it checks out. Even if the parents of each generation gave birth at the age of 50, that would mean the first child was born in 1840, and the grandchildren born in 1890. That would make the grandchildren 128 years old.

Actually decided to google it. Curiosity got the better of me. The ages were 75 and and 63 respectively when they had their children. That's some longevity of sexual activity, especially considering the shorter lifespans back then. Blimey. 

Aye, the Tyler menfolk evidently were packing heat. Even with unbelievably poor standards of contraception, it's a phenomenal record.

Edited by Gus Mears

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, SpursRiot2012 said:

I knew the bumps were there but it never occurred to me that that's what they're for. I'm a touch typist anyway so I've never really had a need for such a thing. 

They’re there specifically for touch-typists, so you can find your “home” keys again without having to look at the keyboard.

• Paid Members

Even knowing that, and being a touch typist, I've never used them for that purpose.

I worked as a PA a few years back, and I'd do most of my work on my laptop, but would occasionally have to jump across to one of my boss' Apple Macs to send an e-mail from his account. The slight difference in keyboard size/layout would more often than not mean that I'd be chatting away whilst typing out an email, look to the screen, and see that I'd manage to hit the key above every single one I was aiming for, and just written a stream of gibberish.