Today I learned...

SpursRiot2012

• Paid Members

I love the cinder toffee you used to get in those cheap scoop and save stores tucked away in the back corner, it was much nicer than a crunchy. That said I do enjoy a crunchy, but then I can't think of a chocolate bar I don't like. 

• Paid Members
17 minutes ago, Your Fight Site said:

the only one in my family who likes Bounty bars too

My dad once referred to Bounties as ‘the devils spunk’.

I noticed a mass shortage of selection boxes this past Christmas. They were always front and centre up here, but our big Tesco only had two versions, both small and crap and in the seasonal aisle rather than POS when you go in.

Was that a thing elsewhere? If it’s the norm, when did that start happening?

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Nick Soapdish said:

I just assumed by the name that it must have honey in.

What part of Crunchie makes you think it must have honey in? I don't understand your thinking there.

Also anyone who has eaten cinder toffee and a crunchie before should know they're the same thing. 

• Paid Members
25 minutes ago, FelatioLips said:

What part of Crunchie makes you think it must have honey in? I don't understand your thinking there.

Also anyone who has eaten cinder toffee and a crunchie before should know they're the same thing. 

It's probably because it's often called "honeycomb" as well as "cinder toffee". He may have only heard it called the former.

I like Crunchies, but the cinder toffee they use in it isn't the best. Best stuff I ever had was this home-made stuff being sold at a traditional sweets stall at a local festival in Yorkshire I went to years ago. Never found anything as great since.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Chest Rockwell said:

It's never called cinder toffee

It's an older name, I know it still as cinder toffee but it's always marketed these days as honey comb or honey comb pieces. I assume it's just better known and performs better in focus groups because of the association with honey it creates. 

1 hour ago, Wrasslin said:

Since the conversation is clearly heading this way . . .

The Double Decker is the most underrated chocolate bar of all time. There is so much going on.

It's the fucking king of chocolate bars.  You've got crunchy biscuit base, you've got soft mallow, you've got toffee.  Lush.

Is it my senility kicking in or did they originally have fruit in as well?

7 minutes ago, Loki said:

It's the fucking king of chocolate bars.  You've got crunchy biscuit base, you've got soft mallow, you've got toffee.  Lush.

Is it my senility kicking in or did they originally have fruit in as well?

Are you thinking of a Boost? Also Lion Bars!

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, FelatioLips said:

The ingredient called Honeycomb 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Chest Rockwell said:

It's never called cinder toffee. I've never heard of that before this thread. It's always called honeycomb, and whilst I knew it wasn't actual honeycomb it was a reasonable assumption that there was some actual honey in there.

Where did I get it from then, eh? I've heard it called cinder toffee and burnt toffee plenty of times. Green & Black even have a bar that has purple wrapping and "Burnt Toffee" written on it. And I've heard Americans call it that too.

Could be a regional thing, but I've more frequently heard it called cinder toffee in Yorkshire than I've heard it called honeycomb.

• Paid Members

It’s cinder toffee. I tried making it once, during a period of folly as a hurricane raged outside. The cinder toffee turned out better than the bonfire toffee, which tasted like an actual bonfire, and the tablet, which was delish but never set.

Loki: are you thinking of a Fuse? They were lush.

Edited by Sergio Mendacious
Chocolate bar knowledge