Today I learned...

SpursRiot2012

• Paid Members

In Portugal it is against the law to dub foreign TV shows and films into Portuguese unless they're animated due to a law that was passed decades ago during dictatorial rule and that still hasn't been rolled back.

They trialled running Friends in a dubbed form when the repealing of the law was being discussed but it received such universally negative feedback that plans were ditched and the law stayed.

Why do fake banana flavoured things not taste like bananas?

Because that fake banana flavour is based on the Gros Michel type of banana, which was the main banana eaten around the world until the 1950s when it was almost wiped out by a fungal disease.

Banana exporters switched to the Cavendish banana which is the one you find in the supermarket today.  Cavendish bananas taste quite different to Gros Michel.

But wait!  All Cavendish bananas are clones and unfortunately a new disease is beginning to rip through banana plantations again.  So bananas might become quite scarce in the future.

• Paid Members
On 11/13/2023 at 3:48 PM, gmoney said:

The Beach Boys version of Barbara Ann is not the original, The Reagants version is. 

Sloop John B is an old Bahamian folk song! Did these cunts write anything?! (I know they did, please don't talk to me)

There's a Johnny Cash version of it  called I Want to Go Home, recorded in 1959. 

• Paid Members
On 1/20/2024 at 4:40 PM, Loki said:

Why do fake banana flavoured things not taste like bananas?

Because that fake banana flavour is based on the Gros Michel type of banana, which was the main banana eaten around the world until the 1950s when it was almost wiped out by a fungal disease.

Banana exporters switched to the Cavendish banana which is the one you find in the supermarket today.  Cavendish bananas taste quite different to Gros Michel.

But wait!  All Cavendish bananas are clones and unfortunately a new disease is beginning to rip through banana plantations again.  So bananas might become quite scarce in the future.

Gros MIchel skins were also more oily than Cavendish bananas - so the whole 'slipped on a banana peel' thing probably wouldn't be a thing now if they were new, because the skins aren't that slippy.