Today I learned...

SpursRiot2012

2 hours ago, wordsfromlee said:

A tenth of the UK population tried to get tickets for Oasis at Knebworth in 1996

The population of the UK in 96 was 58 million. So a tenth would’ve been 5.8 million. 2.5 million applied so it’s nearer to 5%. Then again maths was never my strongpoint so I might have that wrong. 

5 hours ago, wordsfromlee said:

A tenth of the UK population tried to get tickets for Oasis at Knebworth in 1996. To put it into perspective, 3% tried to get tickets for Taylor Swifts Eras tour.

I think that might include the Loch Lomond gigs as well, which was IIRC the previous week.  4 gigs in 2 weeks to approximately 500,000 people all told.

I was one of them - I was at Knebworth Night Two, which was very much the worse lineup, as instead of The Chemical Brothers and The Prodigy, we got Cast and Kula Shaker (the latter tbs were the best band on the night in terms of performance).

There were about 10 loos for 125,000 people so everyone was pissing into plastic bottles and when Oasis came on the crowd surged forward about 50 metres, all the bottles went into the air and everyone got soaked in piss.  Ah, the 90s.

24 minutes ago, Loki said:

I think that might include the Loch Lomond gigs as well, which was IIRC the previous week.  4 gigs in 2 weeks to approximately 500,000 people all told.

I was one of them - I was at Knebworth Night Two, which was very much the worse lineup, as instead of The Chemical Brothers and The Prodigy, we got Cast and Kula Shaker (the latter tbs were the best band on the night in terms of performance).

There were about 10 loos for 125,000 people so everyone was pissing into plastic bottles and when Oasis came on the crowd surged forward about 50 metres, all the bottles went into the air and everyone got soaked in piss.  Ah, the 90s.

We’re of a similar age, so you know it’s difficult to explain to younger people exactly how huge an impact Oasis had culturally at the time. I mean, they’re shite and all that but the effect they had hasn’t been matched since. Probably for the best because the whole time was absolutely awful and pretty racist and xenophobic.