Today I learned...

SpursRiot2012

• Paid Members

The origin of the red and white striped pole outside barbers came from when barbers also offered leeching services to their customers. The red stripe is to indicate that you can get leeched there and the white stripe is to show that they also offered dental services.

I learnt this from the Pharmacy Museum in New Orleans a couple of weeks ago.

Edited by LaGoosh

5 minutes ago, gmoney said:

Also explains the backwards video for The Scientist. Obviously set on the last Sunday in October. 

And when you factor in the expression “Take the L” it’s in relation to Clocks. Take the L and you’re left with Cocks. Which describes the band and their fans. 

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

And when you factor in the expression “Take the L” it’s in relation to Clocks. Take the L and you’re left with Cocks. Which describes the band and their fans. 

Hang on…. it’s all starting to make sense…. Coldplay are connected to the clocks going back. Which happens in October, which is the month before Survivor Series. And “Coldplay” and “Clocks” both start with C. And so does CM Punk.

He’s coming home guys.

EDIT …. something something “it’s clobbering time”

Edited by air_raid

• Paid Members
58 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

The origin of the red and white striped pole outside barbers came from when barbers also offered leeching services to their customers. The red stripe is to indicate that you can get leeched there and the white stripe is to show that they also offered dental services.

I learnt this from the Pharmacy Museum in New Orleans a couple of weeks ago.

I heard something similar here - the red was in reference to the fact that barbers tended also to be surgeons back then.

My inner pedant used to get irked when I saw barber shops around the local area with red, white, and blue poles, which are for soda/ice cream shops - the barbers probably bought them on the cheap. But then, when you consider that barbers also used to sell condoms, maybe the blue's appropriate, even if inadvertently?

• Paid Members

TIL that Jersey's name most likely stems from the old Latin name of "Caesarea". However, what the Romans listed as "Caesarea" in their records of the Channel Islands is not identifiable, so the modern name comes from academics naming it based on what they think might have been Caesarea ("Caesarée" in old French).

Edited by Carbomb

• Paid Members

There's a pub called the Caesarea in Jersey, and it's an absolute shithole. Guernsey's Latin name is "Sarnia", and they use that a lot more than Jersey uses Caesarea - you quite often see Guernsey folk describing themselves as "Sarnian".

• Paid Members

I once again learnt today that Kevin Costner had plans to cast Princess Diana in the Bodyguard 2.

I feel like the only reason I originally learnt that was someone on here must have posted about it years back but when I was doing some movie history reading this morning and asked myself why they never even attempted a straight to VHS Bodyguard 2 it popped back in my brain.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Shy Dad said:

I once again learnt today that Kevin Costner had plans to cast Princess Diana in the Bodyguard 2.

I feel like the only reason I originally learnt that was someone on here must have posted about it years back but when I was doing some movie history reading this morning and asked myself why they never even attempted a straight to VHS Bodyguard 2 it popped back in my brain.

Would've been a sci-fi action thriller, him fighting off all those lizard-people and their agents

• Paid Members

Only reason why I don't look back on The Bodyguard as fondly as some is because of how overplayed I Will Always Love You was at the time. Got so sick of hearing it, and seeing the MV with movie clips in it. In themselves, they're neither a bad film nor a bad song.

I've always liked Costner, as well. Superb as the craggy-but-unspectacular romantic lead for those misty late 80s-to-mid 90s epic films.