Today I learned...

SpursRiot2012

• Paid Members
On 10/29/2023 at 8:06 AM, jazzygeofferz said:

Just Eat is called Menulog in Australia as well because they (Just Eat) didn't want to change the name of the company they bought out there in order to retain the brand recognition. All the adverts are the same, but instead of using the words "just eat" they say "Menulog" as demonstrated here by celebrity Burnley fan Snoop Dingle. 

This reminds me of listening to these adverts on USA Radio for windscreen repairs and thinking they sounded familiar 

Sounds bizarre to me.

Ha, that’s bizarre!!

That reminds me of the old DFS ads in the 90s. We knew it at work as DFS in Darley Dale Measham Stoke Fenton Tamworth Banbury and Northampton. A lad from Lincoln worked with us and told us they had the same ad but with their locations at the end, and rattled them off. For some reason we popped like that “bar when England scored a goal” meme. 

Ah simpler days!

Edited by Keith Houchen

• Paid Members
30 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Ha, that’s bizarre!!

That reminds me of the old DFS ads in the 90s. We knew it at work as DFS in Darley Dale Meaghan Stoke Fenton Tamworth Banbury and Northampton. A lad from Lincoln worked with us and told us they had the same ad but with their locations at the end, and rattled them off. For some reason we popped like that “bar when England scored a goal” meme. 

Ah simpler days!

The classic one here was Purley Way, Croydon. Even though I know Croydon is a dump, I’ve never been to Purley Way and it sounds like a wonderland.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

I’ve never been to Purley Way and it sounds like a wonderland.

Weirdly whenever I tell anyone I'm from Croydon they all seem to know Purley Way Ikea but nothing else.

As a kid it had a cinema, bowling alley and McDonald's all next to eachother so it pretty much was a wonderland. 

• Paid Members
28 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Water Palace was where The Collonnades is now wasn't it?  I'm sad that my children won't have the rite of passage of being dunked and terrorised by older kids when they go through the tunnel on the lazy river. 

Yes you're right. I looked this up a few years ago and could have sworn I read Ikea! The Colonnades is even more depressing. 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Tommy! said:

This one?BackgroundEraser_20231031_202228466.thumb.png.407a54c54df2f2ff0d61ba8153854934.png

This one is the meme template.

(had to interject as it's my home ground, and moreso that there hasn't been much of an atmosphere at all lately)