Today I learned...

SpursRiot2012

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

TIL the McFly song “5 Colours In Her Hair” was inspired by Suze from the hate crime tv show “As If”. 

That show was essential viewing at our house when I was in Uni. Sunday morning was As If, then the Hollyoaks omnibus. Usually because we were hung over from Friday night. 

I learned that Liberace's first names were Władziu Valentino. 

• Paid Members
32 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Didn't Loftus Road have an AstroTurf pitch in the 80s, or have I mis-remembered?

EDIT: Just checked, was Omniturf.

Omniturf was first used at The Omni in Atlanta in the 70s. That's how it got its name. 

Spoiler

That isn't true but it might be. 

• Paid Members
Just now, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

Omniturf was first used at The Omni in Atlanta in the 70s. That's how it got its name. 

Hide contents

That isn't true but it might be. 

I love the idea of some Southern-style brawl between Dusty Rhodes and Ole Anderson on some fake grass.

33 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Fact from a public health meeting I'm in, by 2040 we will have a 75% increase in dementia cases in the UK, from the number we currently have.

That seems quite mental.

What's the cause for it? That seems like a ridiculously large increase. Or is it one of those 'undiagnosed' things for so many years?

8 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

What's the cause for it? That seems like a ridiculously large increase. Or is it one of those 'undiagnosed' things for so many years?

I'll be honest was a small part of the meeting and didn't go into detail but I had a look and found this: https://www.alzint.org/about/dementia-facts-figures/dementia-statistics/#:~:text=Numbers of people with dementia,will be in developing countries.

"Someone in the world develops dementia every 3 seconds. There are over 55 million people worldwide living with dementia in 2020. This number will almost double every 20 years, reaching 78 million in 2030 and 139 million in 2050. Much of the increase will be in developing countries."

• Paid Members
19 hours ago, Frankie Crisp said:

Sandi Toksvig was in Mission Control when Apollo 11 landed on the moon.

Her dad was Denmark's first foreign correspondent, and basically only news presenter for a time. There was a point when Danish TV only broadcast two shows a day, one being his news programme, so for a time he was on the air for literally 50% of Danish television.

11 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

I'll be honest was a small part of the meeting and didn't go into detail but I had a look and found this: https://www.alzint.org/about/dementia-facts-figures/dementia-statistics/#:~:text=Numbers of people with dementia,will be in developing countries.

"Someone in the world develops dementia every 3 seconds. There are over 55 million people worldwide living with dementia in 2020. This number will almost double every 20 years, reaching 78 million in 2030 and 139 million in 2050. Much of the increase will be in developing countries."

Thanks! That's really interesting and hard to imagine so many suffering from it. It's a real tough one.