Today I learned...

SpursRiot2012

15 minutes ago, Dai said:

Life expectancy in China just 200 years ago was 32. 

I bet that includes infant mortality.  If you survived to your teenage years your life expectancy was probably a lot older.

It’s why you read about plenty of Romans who lived into their 80s despite the headline life expectancy being like 40.

16 minutes ago, Loki said:

I bet that includes infant mortality.  If you survived to your teenage years your life expectancy was probably a lot older.

It’s why you read about plenty of Romans who lived into their 80s despite the headline life expectancy being like 40.

Yep that’s exactly what it is, less babies dying raises the average. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, westlondonmist said:

During the Elizabethan period infant mortality rate was 14% and 30% died before turning 16. Most mothers would give birth between 5 and ten times in their life. I'd assume that was pretty similar around the world.

Screenshot_20231017-194935.thumb.png.52deb556b7cb9a2b4e38a4df10e24929.png

Life expectancy in the United Kingdom was below 39 years in the year 1765, and over the course of the next two and a half centuries, it is expected to have increased by more than double, to 81.1 by the year 2020. Although life expectancy has generally increased throughout the UK's history, there were several times where the rate deviated from its previous trajectory. These changes were the result of smallpox epidemics in the late eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries, new sanitary and medical advancements throughout time (such as compulsory vaccination), and the First world War and Spanish Flu epidemic in the 1910s.

Edited by Tommy!

• Paid Members
On 10/17/2023 at 8:22 AM, Devon Malcolm said:

The TV version of Halloween ran 12 minutes longer than the version everyone has seen.

And somebody uploaded it on YouTube a couple of days ago.

This might be some Mandela Effect situation but I'm absolutely certain I've seen this before. Even reading that, I could picture the scene with Loomis talking to young Michael somewhere in the depths of my memory. But I have no idea how I'd have seen it!

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Lorne Malvo said:

This might be some Mandela Effect situation but I'm absolutely certain I've seen this before. Even reading that, I could picture the scene with Loomis talking to young Michael somewhere in the depths of my memory. But I have no idea how I'd have seen it!

Apparently it has been fairly widely available for years and has been included in some physical releases. Just can't recall ever having heard about it before!

I watched it yesterday and the extra stuff adds something without being essential. They certainly don't detract from the rest of the film, at least.

• Paid Members
24 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

That my daughter is an anti-semite because she has a reversible octopus plushie.

My son has a reversible Pacman ghost, that changes from red to blue. What does that make him?