Today I learned...

SpursRiot2012

On 9/1/2023 at 3:29 PM, Cousin Jim Bob said:

I was browsing the new film releases on Xbox for something to rent tonight and this bollocks showed up.

Looking on Wiki it is the 11th Children of the Corn film! I know there is some horror franchises like Hellraiser which must be up there in numbers with sequels and remakes but 11 Children of the Corn films, bloody hell. 

I think Saw (10) Friday the 13th (10, 11 counting Freddy vs Jason) and Puppet Master (15, 16 counting the Demonic Toys crossover) are the only other horror franchises that run it close

Outside of that, the only other movie franchises with as many or more films are the Fast movies (11 including Hobbs and Shaw), the Marvel Cinematic Universe (32 as of Guardians 3) and The Land Before Time (14)

Just off the top of my head, there have been 12 Star Wars movies, 14 if you count the two Ewok movies.  And there have been 11 Harry Potter/Rowling movies now!

In terms of long franchises worldwide, there's been some epics.  There's a Japanese film series called Otoko wa Tsurai yo which had 48 films between the 60s and the 90s!  And of course 31 Carry On movies over here in the UK.

• Paid Members

Yeh, the actor who plays Tora-san in Otoko wa Tsurai Yo is a household name, but more as the character (he's no Grado, though). I've seen a couple of them; they're not bad films, very funny and poignant. But I'd been told by some friends at the time that they can get a bit repetitive.

The films are mostly set in the market town surrounding a temple - the real life location is Taishakuten shrine in Chiba, which is beautiful. Stunning temple gardens, and the entire timber building has lots of incredibly ornate carvings depicting all sorts of scenes. Well worth a visit to anyone going to Japan.

Edited by Carbomb

• Paid Members

Not a franchise, but I am willing to bet that Stephen King is, in terms of different individual titles, the most cinematised author ever.

Agatha Christie, being one of the most prolific authors of all time, would probably be the most cinematised, total, but I wouldn't be surprised if Conan Doyle, Shakespeare, or Dickens supersede her.

Edited by Carbomb

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Keith Houchen said:

I think there’s one or two Sherlock Holmes films. But that’s more a character in films independent of each other than a continuation.

Sherlock Holmes is, apparently, the most portrayed fictional character in film and TV, while Dracula is the most portrayed in just film. 

1 hour ago, Carbomb said:

Not a franchise, but I am willing to bet that Stephen King is, in terms of different individual titles, the most cinematised author ever.

Agatha Christie, being one of the most prolific authors of all time, would probably be the most cinematised, total, but I wouldn't be surprised if Conan Doyle, Shakespeare, or Dickens supersede her.

Shakespeare will have by far the most filmed adaptations, probably followed by Dickens, if only for the sheer number of versions of A Christmas Carol. There's probably quite a few above Christie.

Personally I'd draw the line at where the same story/character has had a new interpretation or film kicked off.  It has to really be the continuation of the same universe.  So, for example, the recent Star Trek films can't be counted imo as additions to the original 6 films as they are recast/rebooted essentially.  But the X-Men First Class films are meant to be the same characters but younger, so they count - and I guess now we can probably retro-add all the X-Men films into the MCU?

That thins the herd out a lot but still leaves some enormous series.  The question is, does it invalidate Bond?

Edited by Loki

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Loki said:

So, for example, the recent Star Trek films can't be counted imo as additions to the original 6 films as they are recast/rebooted essentially. 

Is this complicated by Nimoy appearing as future/alternate timeline Spock, though? 

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Loki said:

The question is, does it invalidate Bond?

I'm not a Bond expert, in fact I wouldn't know Dr No from No Time To Die, but isn't he just the same character played by various actors along the way. Peter Barlow with a martini if you will. That validates it for me.