Today I learned...

SpursRiot2012

• Paid Members

Yesterday I learned - from an admission from Alfonso Ribeiro on a podcast - that Carlton's dancing on Fresh Prince was modelled after Alfonso seeing Courtney Cox in the video for Dancing In The Dark, and saying to himself "THAT'S how white people dance."

• Paid Members

Today I learned that 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea refers to travelling that distance while under various seas, not being 20,000 leagues deep. I've not read it, as you have probably sussed.

Edit: I've also learned it's actually called 20,000 Leagues Under the Seas. 

Edit Edit: But the film was called 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. So not pure ignorance. 

Edited by gmoney

• Paid Members

Courtesy of the previous post, today I learned that 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea refers to travelling that distance while under various seas, not being 20,000 leagues deep as I'd always assumed.

• Paid Members

I always knew it was under the sea and not depth below surface but TIL that there is a difference between nautical leagues and leagues on the land in the UK, and that Jules Verne used the French definition of the length of a league, which is shorter than both the English definitions. 

3 minutes ago, gmoney said:

Former Spurs, Chelsea and West Ham (and many others) striker Clive Allen played a season for the London Monarchs in NFL Europe as a kicker.

Yep! I remember it being quite a big thing at the time, and scorn thrown at him from "proper" football men.

You just don't get publicity shots like this anymore do you? 

spacer.png

• Paid Members
41 minutes ago, gmoney said:

Former Spurs, Chelsea and West Ham (and many others) striker Clive Allen played a season for the London Monarchs in NFL Europe as a kicker.

I remember it as a quiz question at the time. Clive Allen signed for 8 London clubs, can you name them all? Obviously it was 7 "Soccer" teams and the London Monarchs. It was good to see on that list that though he signed for Arsenal he never played for them, and that the only other team he didn't score for was Millwall. 

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, gmoney said:

In British sportsmen trying their hand in the World League/NFL Europe/NFL Europa we also had Scottish rugby player Gavin Hastings kicking for the Scottish Claymores.

Other London Monarchs trivia includes them playing games on pitches that weren't regulation size due to White Hart Lane not being able to accommodate a full-size American Football pitch.  If I ever get a house with a bar or games room I have a Monarchs flag in storage (well, a box in the corner) ready to hang.

Myself and @fleischmark had a great time at an NFL Europa game, but sadly the Monarchs had long been disbanded by then.

Edited by johnnyboy

• Paid Members

The Rodney King video only exists because Terminator 2 was filming in that area the guy who owned the camera wanted to get footage of Arnold Schwarzenegger on set. He ended up filming that instead. Apparently the full video he sent to the news had Arnie on it.