Today I learned...

SpursRiot2012

• Paid Members
19 minutes ago, Rockbus2 said:

Jordan Peele, director of Get Out and Nope is married to Chelsea Peretti out of Brooklyn 9-9.

Also Jordan Peele had a previous life as a comedy duo with Keegan Michael Key.

Today I learned that Jordan Peele, of 'comedy' duo Key & Peele, was the director of Get Out and Nope.

• Paid Members
25 minutes ago, Rockbus2 said:

Jordan Peele, director of Get Out and Nope is married to Chelsea Peretti out of Brooklyn 9-9.

Also Jordan Peele had a previous life as a comedy duo with Keegan Michael Key.

Some of the finest comedy sketches of this millennium as well. Highly recommend substitute teacher and Gremlins 2. Most of them are on YouTube.

• Paid Members

Today I learned (or, more accurately, today I realised), that if someone incorrectly puts a question mark at the end of a written statement, I will internally read it in an Australian accent.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Nostalgia Nonce said:

Today I learned (or, more accurately, today I realised), that if someone incorrectly puts a question mark at the end of a written statement, I will internally read it in an Australian accent.

the voice in my head that reads things to me read that in an Australian accent.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Today I learned that there were 26 different cars used to portray KITT in the original Knight Rider, ranging from Trans Ams that were stock apart from the sensor and trim stuck on the front, to fibreglass shells stuck over dune buggies for the jumps.

I'm not into cars, and I'm only a casual Knight Rider fan, but I find the Knight Rider Historians channel on YouTube fascinating, even though it goes into obsessive nerd levels of detail.

Or possibly because it goes into obsessive nerd levels of detail.

TIL there are observatories around the world that detect gravitational waves from space. They’re caused during events like black holes colliding (or aliens!) that send ‘shockwaves’ through space.

But what I loved about finding this out is the fact that these observatories use lasers and mirrors to detect changes the size of less than 1/10,000th of a proton.

You can also download an app that tells you when a wave is detected and what the possible source is. I’m downloading it but it takes a while to get past events so I’ve not had a chance to look at it properly.

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, Spud said:

TIL there are observatories around the world that detect gravitational waves from space. They’re caused during events like black holes colliding (or aliens!) that send ‘shockwaves’ through space.

But what I loved about finding this out is the fact that these observatories use lasers and mirrors to detect changes the size of less than 1/10,000th of a proton.

You can also download an app that tells you when a wave is detected and what the possible source is. I’m downloading it but it takes a while to get past events so I’ve not had a chance to look at it properly.

I remember watching a show ages ago about that, but can’t for the life of me remember what it was. I just remember the two lasers being set in an ‘L’ shape and then it measuring how long it takes for a beam to “return” from hitting the mirror, and any minuscule fluctuation then indicates a gravitational wave warping time ever so slightly.

54 minutes ago, Your Fight Site said:

I remember watching a show ages ago about that, but can’t for the life of me remember what it was. I just remember the two lasers being set in an ‘L’ shape and then it measuring how long it takes for a beam to “return” from hitting the mirror, and any minuscule fluctuation then indicates a gravitational wave warping time ever so slightly.

I’d love to watch a documentary about this sort of thing. These observatories are 4km long with mirrors at each end - 4km and they can measure changes that minuscule is mind-blowing. Might have to fall down a YouTube rabbit hole over the weekend.