Today I learned...

SpursRiot2012

On 9/29/2023 at 10:49 AM, BomberPat said:

the Daniel Craig movies delve enough into Bond's backstory to make it clear that James Bond is his real name, and No Time To Die features a different agent being given the 007 number. 

Obviously it was never the intention of Ian Fleming, but I always thought it was a good bit of retconning, rather than trying to pretend that Connery-to-Brosnan is one continuous character. I suppose the best explanation is that it's a Simpsons-esque floating timeline, where Bond is the same character, at roughly the same age, but his backstory and experiences are shunted forward in time.

Late to the party with this but...

I don't really like the idea of James Bond being a code name. It's extra baggage that the franchise didn't need for 20 films.

Plus, it's only really important if they do an origin story each time they cast a new actor, and while I think that was interesting for Craig, I really don't need anymore Bond origin stories. 

• Paid Members

...that Neil Gaiman's father was the head of the British branch of the Church of Scientology.

The person who mentioned it said there's a clip on YouTube of a young Neil being interviewed where he basically evangelised for the cult.

Edited by Carbomb

21 hours ago, Carbomb said:

...that Neil Gaiman's father was the head of the British branch of the Church of Scientology.

The person who mentioned it said there's a clip on YouTube of a young Neil being interviewed where he basically evangelised for the cult.

The dad appears in a clip Bob Mills played on this episode of In Bed With Medinner: 

• Paid Members

I learned recently that IKEA, at least the ones in Poland, will decorate any piece of furniture with a pretend laptop made of glass and paper inserts, if it’s theoretically a place you’d have your laptop…

IMG_2073.thumb.jpeg.a3cfdb60eba9289147c46df3b05395d5.jpeg
IMG_2075.thumb.jpeg.1337461d5277b678ac4512680901fd8a.jpegIMG_2076.thumb.jpeg.24d13bf06dc172a4af40c4fbbdd1e1f6.jpegIMG_2077.thumb.jpeg.88f3204f864ac4ac011e484862f49e88.jpeg

Depressingly, out of ANY of the uses for a laptop they could have used an image of - proper “gaming” game screen, nice wallpaper of some mountains, fucking Solitaire or anything - they’ve put a mocked up Zoom/Teams video meeting. Because we don’t all have ENOUGH reminders of our “new normal” everywhere, and because a traipse around IKEA isn’t depressing enough, you need to be reminded of work too.

TIL that Michelin (the tyre company ) actually did bring in the star ratings for restaurants.

The reason being that they figured if they popularise different restaurants then people maybe more inclined to get in their car and drive to them thus using more rubber in their tyres , which would need to be replaced.

Crafty beggers.

i had always assumed they shared a name but nothing else .

2 hours ago, Browser Brady said:

TIL that Michelin (the tyre company ) actually did bring in the star ratings for restaurants.

The reason being that they figured if they popularise different restaurants then people maybe more inclined to get in their car and drive to them thus using more rubber in their tyres , which would need to be replaced.

Crafty beggers.

i had always assumed they shared a name but nothing else .

My Dad used to bring me home the Pirelli Calendar as a teenager, he got given it at work as they were an account.

I tell you, that was a MUCH better advertisement than giving a French Beefeater a one star.

• Paid Members

If you were to travel over land from North Korea to Finland you would only need to pass through one other country: Russia. 

• Paid Members
15 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

If you were to travel over land from North Korea to Finland you would only need to pass through one other country: Russia. 

None of us can make that journey though Jazzy as the border crossing can only be used by Russian or North Korean nationals. I don't think we have any posters from either of those countries. 

In theory you can get a train from Moscow to Pyongyang, you wouldn't want to get the replacement bus service though. 

• Paid Members

The TV version of Halloween ran 12 minutes longer than the version everyone has seen.

In 1980, the television rights to Halloween were sold to NBC for approximately $3 million. After a debate among Carpenter, Hill and NBC's Standards and Practices over censoring of certain scenes, Halloween appeared on television for the first time in October 1981. To fill the two-hour time slot, Carpenter filmed twelve minutes of additional material during the production of Halloween II. The newly filmed scenes include Dr. Loomis at a hospital board review of Michael Myers and Dr. Loomis talking to a then-6-year-old Michael at Smith's Grove, telling him, "You've fooled them, haven't you, Michael? But not me." Another extra scene features Dr. Loomis at Smith's Grove examining Michael's abandoned cell after his escape and seeing the word "Sister" scratched into the door. Finally, a scene was added in which Lynda comes over to Laurie's house to borrow a silk blouse before Laurie leaves to babysit, just as Annie telephones asking to borrow the same blouse. The new scene had Laurie's hair hidden by a towel, since Curtis was by then wearing a much shorter hairstyle than she had worn in 1978.

And somebody uploaded it on YouTube a couple of days ago.