Ridiculous ways wrestling has worked itself into your everyday life

HarmonicGenerator

• Awards Moderator

Of course wrestling but more so the Steve Austin podcast has lodged the phrase 'gimmick' in my everyday vocabulary. It comes out whenever I want to say "feature" - I used it in a non-wrestling Tweet to JNLister just this week.

I do the same thing with "gimmick" usually when I can't remember the name of the thing I am describing.

It came from a Wade Keller shoot interview with The Hardy Boyz when Jeff Hardy is telling some story about a barrier coming down as he tried to exit a car park, and he couldn't remember the word barrier and said "gimmick".

I found it was one of those things you start off doing deliberately to amuse yourself and it morphs into something you do without realising it.

• Paid Members

I use "gimmick" constantly. Somebody doesn't have character traits, they have a gimmick.

I also use "sell" all the time. When somebody reacts to a joke/insult/anything where I feel it's over the top or unwarranted, I always come out with "Don't sell that!"

Myself and my partner have introduced a "money in the bank" style gimmick into our lives.

We trade in poker chips, which can be used to override a decision. So for example if we can't agree on a film / DVD / restaurant... We can cash in our chip and override the other.

My partner used her last one to enforce a chick flick for a DVD rental. I plan to use mine to force her to go see a action film at the cinema.

• Paid Members

Myself and my partner have introduced a "money in the bank" style gimmick into our lives.

We trade in poker chips, which can be used to override a decision. So for example if we can't agree on a film / DVD / restaurant... We can cash in our chip and override the other.

My partner used her last one to enforce a chick flick for a DVD rental. I plan to use mine to force her to go see a action film at the cinema.

That sounds like a fantastic idea.

In uni, my housemates and I had a Hardcore Championship which was obviously defended 24/7.  It was usually won by simply placing a finger on the champion as they had both shoulders resting on the back of the sofa while a third party counted the pinball, but on the odd occasion it would change hands after a full on assault.  We decided to stop after one occasion where the current champion was being attacked by my other housemate and he fell half way down the stairs and fucked his ankle.  It didn't stop said attacker from pinning him mind, ignoring the screams of "GET THE FUCK OFF ME I'VE BROKEN MY LEG!".

people still rent dvd's???