WWE to Netflix, Network presumably doomed

Infinity Land

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, JNLister said:

From what I can gather, most of Netflix's content is hosted/delivered by Amazon Web Services. They charge a very small amount for the actual storage and then a variable fee based on how often it's accessed/transcoded/delivered. Content that nobody watches really doesn't cost that much day-to-day in the big picture.

But at Netflix’s scale, those “small amounts” will be a significant cost. Especially as Netflix will create multiple encodings of shows and movies up to 4K quality; we’re talking gigabytes of data for a single title.

I do wonder if this cross to Netflix and the demise of the Network may be linked to the horrendous allegations about Vince. By eradicating the history of the Vince era, they're free to run with a new era which is free of Vince's involvement. 

Sound dramatic? Well yes, we all know you can't just re-write history (although it doesn't mean people don't try - the WWE certainly has. Look at Benoit and even Hogan during his wilderness days after his racist views).

They know that history is there and isn't really going away, but it doesn't mean you have to publicise it or make it accesible via your official channels. And let's be honest, how many fans (particularly young fans) are going to be complaining they can't see Wrestlemania 2? They could still show clips, have the occasional PPV from the archives, but I think this will be the perfect chance to draw a line between the eras. After all if more comes out, or Vince does time then there's so much they'd need to re-edit, re-commentate etc. The BBC did with TOTP and Savile, but that was removing the links - to do it with WWF/E programming would be near impossible. Imagine 97/98 without Vince? It's easier just to consign it to the dustbin of history.

Edited by The Reverend

Surely they won't try to completely erase him from history and the material they would have nothing left to use. 

I think it's better and easier to erase some of the stuff (the stuff with the divas is probably a great place to start) but move forward and make it the most important thing after this which is making sure the safety of all the staff and talent is paramount and this absolutely disgraceful and aborent things are never allowed to take place or come close ever again.

32 minutes ago, Kfogg1991 said:

Surely they won't try to completely erase him from history and the material they would have nothing left to use. 

I think it would all depend on whether he is convicted of a crime or not and whether there’s a chance of him going to prison or not, and even then there’s no guarantee of it happening. You can still listen to Gary Glitter and Lostprophets on Spotify & Apple Music

24 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

I think it would all depend on whether he is convicted of a crime or not and whether there’s a chance of him going to prison or not, and even then there’s no guarantee of it happening. You can still listen to Gary Glitter and Lostprophets on Spotify & Apple Music

I was actually listening back to the lostprophets not that long ago showing my partner their stuff. I was also having a enjoyable and interesting conversation with a friend about not completely erasing a band's material because of the actions of one member because a band and music is so much more than just one element. The rest of the band in lostprophets are so so talented and the music they created was so groundbreaking and doesn't deserve to be erased and removed from the world.

He booked essentially every angle for 50 years, directed every episode, is the commentator on about 20 years worth.  Trying to erase him from WWE history is a fool’s errand and they won’t even try.

They will just never mention him for a few years, probably until he dies.

33 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Which won’t happen as thing stand. This is not a criminal lawsuit. Obviously that could happen if things escalate and a criminal complaint is filed, but this particular lawsuit is no different than Carroll vs Trump; which Trump, alarmingly, has shrugged off quite successfully.

I think @Loki’s assessment is probably spot on. There’s no need to mention him on screen, so that simply won’t happen.

Edited by RedRooster

34 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Worth noting this is a civil case, so it’s about damages and not a criminal conviction. Whether any new evidence in this trial comes to light and leads to a criminal case is another matter. 

EDIT - posted at same time as Rooster. 

Edited by Keith Houchen

5 minutes ago, Kfogg1991 said:

I was actually listening back to the lostprophets not that long ago showing my partner their stuff. I was also having a enjoyable and interesting conversation with a friend about not completely erasing a band's material because of the actions of one member because a band and music is so much more than just one element. The rest of the band in lostprophets are so so talented and the music they created was so groundbreaking and doesn't deserve to be erased and removed from the world.

Lol, Yes it does. The lead singer is a fucking nonce.