WWE to Netflix, Network presumably doomed

Infinity Land

I wouldn't be surprised if only the last 30 days or so of RAW/Smackdown/NXT/PPVs will be on Netflix and the Network archive be either an additional fee or only available to the £17.99 tier of Netflix.

I can't see us getting the entirety of the Network and the whole of Netflix for £7.99.

A definite game changer and is 100% where TV has been heading for some time. If the Premier League can get with the times and sell their streaming rights next time around I'll have sod all reason to buy any TV subscription

I absolutely live in hope that this is the way we get rid of the 3 hours.

4 minutes ago, AndyUK said:

If the Premier League can get with the times and sell their streaming rights next time around I'll have sod all reason to buy any TV subscription

True, but you will 100% be paying more if that happens.

There's no way the Premier League (sorry Chest!) gets added to say Prime for what we're paying now.

I can't wait to be hit with the "Are you still watching?" message from Netflix every night as I fall asleep watching the same 1997 Raw again.

2 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

It's worth remembering that Netflix used to have a lot of WWE stuff before the Network launched. Mostly streams of those compilation DVDs WWE used to put out, but a good amount of the. So they have worked together before.

It's kept going since then. There was the Big Show Show. There's a Vince documentary they've been working on.

Do people remember the Interactive fad that Netflix had with some of their shows, like Black Mirror?

They did one with WWE called Escape the Undertaker. https://www.netflix.com/title/81251335

• Paid Members
33 minutes ago, Infinity Land said:

It's kept going since then. There was the Big Show Show. There's a Vince documentary they've been working on.

Do people remember the Interactive fad that Netflix had with some of their shows, like Black Mirror?

They did one with WWE called Escape the Undertaker. https://www.netflix.com/title/81251335

I predict that Vince doc is knocked on the head now.

There is a kid’s wrestling film called The Main Event that also has various WWE wrestlers in it as well. 

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

1 minute ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

I predict that Vince doc is knocked on the head now.

Nah. Just changing the ending. They're skipping over the allegations. Make it seem like he retired by choice as he'd done everything there is to do, then returned to make the one last mega-deal. Proper puff piece. It's Bill Simmons that's been working on it. It will have the usual Ringer talking heads and was never going to be particularly hard-hitting.

4 minutes ago, no user name said:

So will the ppv's be in netflix in the UK or don't we know yet

They're going to be included.

Beginning in January 2025, Netflix will be the exclusive new home of Raw in the U.S., Canada, U.K. and Latin America, among other territories, with additional countries and regions to be added over time. Likewise, as part of the agreement, Netflix will also become the home for all WWE shows and specials outside the U.S. as available, inclusive of Raw and WWE’s other weekly shows – SmackDown and NXT – as well as the company’s Premium Live Events, including WrestleMania, SummerSlam and Royal Rumble. WWE’s award-winning documentaries, original series and forthcoming projects will also be available on Netflix internationally beginning in 2025

Not wanting to put a downer on things - but where does the archive sit in the heart of the WWE? There are certain things which are now questionable, there's certain music rights which are troublesome and did the Superstars name situation ever get fixed?

It's just for a lot of us dinosaurs (me included) we'd just want to watch the archive, not the new stuff - but we're probably in the minority. Shocking as it seems there's a whole generation out there who would probably be bored shitless watching Royal Rumble '92 - where us few would watch it on repeat.

With less new uploads of older material on the network, coupled with the demise of the home video market for the WWE could it be that they're looking to put the past well and truly behind them and close down the archive.

After all then they control the narrative and the history. Let's face it - new fans are where the money is (plus they're not complaining it isn't the attitude era anymore) and I doubt they're bothered about the legacy of the product, so will it be that the archive will be dropkicked into the cupboard? 

Saves money, saves time and saves potential problems. It doesn't mean they can't still use clips and matches here and there - but full episodes of Primetime wrestling and Saturday Night's Main Event? That could be a thing of the past. May be worth hanging onto those DVDRs!