WWE to Netflix, Network presumably doomed

Infinity Land

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Supremo said:

Is this the first live TV on Netflix? Week one, Michael Coleā€™s gonna be calling it the longest running weekly episodic TV in Netflix history.

Ā 

They aired this really weird golf/driving hybrid competition called The Netflix Cup live. I remember because I had bad flu at the time and thought I was having a fever dream.

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

I thought Raw going to Amazon was a big deal, but Netflix is a better get for them.
Ā 

Fair play to them, great deal. Though those of us who decided not to give any money to WWE will find it much harder now to avoid. Interesting times ahead.

Agreed, I know Iā€™ll never watch the new stuff regardless of what platform its on.

That said, as a Netflix subscriber anyway, I donā€™t exactly hate the idea of being able to watch 1985 episodes of TNT or Wrestlemania 8 at a click of the remoteā€¦

Edited by garynysmon

• Paid Members

I'm sorry if this has been confirmed, but surely Netflix isn't getting the current back catalogue of early WWF, ECW and ECW tv and PPV's?Ā 

Maybe the network will exist much like UFC Fight Pass does?Ā  it'll hold all the historical content whilst the new Raw/SD and PLE's go up on Netflix?Ā 

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Silky Kisser said:

I'm sorry if this has been confirmed, but surely Netflix isn't getting the current back catalogue of early WWF, ECW and ECW tv and PPV's?Ā 

Maybe the network will exist much like UFC Fight Pass does?Ā  it'll hold all the historical content whilst the new Raw/SD and PLE's go up on Netflix?Ā 

Netflix is a content monster. For 5 billion dollars they probably want all of it.Ā 

• Paid Members

Come to think of it, it seems amazingly behind the curve for TNA to revamp its own streaming service when the media rights industry is generally in a pattern of amalgamation.

It may explain why AEW hasnā€™t bothered yet and may well be holding out for an Amazon Prime deal?

Its much easier to justify paying for a streaming service that also contains films, TV shows etc than one (often costing just as much) catering for the back catalogue of one pro wrestling company (essentially a niche within a niche).

Edited by garynysmon

2 minutes ago, garynysmon said:

Come to think of it, it seems amazingly behind the curve for TNA to revamp its own streaming service when the media rights industry is generally in a pattern of amalgamation.

It may explain why AEW hasnā€™t bothered yet and may well be holding out for an Amazon Prime deal?

Its much easier to justify paying for a streaming service that also contains films, TV shows etc than one (often coating just as much) catering for the back catalogue of one pro wrestling company (essentially a niche within a niche).

Cool..lads is this deal for Ireland well?

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, garynysmon said:

Come to think of it, it seems amazingly behind the curve for TNA to revamp its own streaming service...

I haven't ventured into On Topic for yonks, came in to find out more about the Netflix deal and find that in 2024 garynysmon is still banging on about TNA! Don't ever change, UKFF

27 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Though those of us who decided not to give any money to WWE will find it much harder now to avoid

No we wonā€™t. Just donā€™t press the play button.Ā 

So does this mean the show won't have to be 3 hours now?

They have a lot more flexibility with the running time not being set by a broadcasting channels scheduleĀ 

Maybe one week its only 2 hours 15 mins, maybe another week the show is slightly more loaded and it can be 2 hours 45 minsĀ 

Unless Netflix have it in place it must be x amount of hours then I can't see why it would need to be a set running time everyweek when I'm also assuming they'll be no commercial breaks either

• Paid Members

I expect the days of the Network as an archive of historical content is dead. The international versions of the app are already borderline unusable (not that Peacock's much better), and there's no mention of archives in the press release. I don't see Netflix caring either way - once upon a time, they'd have hoovered it up, and been happy to have the WWE legacy IP on-board, but now, when it's all about concentrated eyeballs on one show at the same time, are they really going to pay to host vast amounts of content on the off-chance that one person might watch an episode of WCW Saturday Night from 1997 every few months?

This whole thing is a canary in a coalmine for the death of the streaming model as first promised, as a vast store of all of our entertainment needs, as the big streaming companies will ultimately end up remodeling themselves into a worse version of linear TV, having already fucked that industry, driven countless people out of work, and left multiple shows with no available physical media versions because everybody bought the hype that we'd just have everything at our fingertips. It's the story of late stage capitalism across the board - what start as our grand visions from "disruptors" end up as constant corporate mergers, destroying what we had, and reinventing it back again, only with less regulation and less workers' rights.

This is absolutely mental I did not see this one coming, paying that amount of money is also really shocking however I guess it shows the worth and level there still at and playing from.Ā 

So it's just going to be raw live on netflix smackdown is going to remain on the same channels for now at least. And reading this thread the monthly ppvs are also going on netflix.Ā 

Is this the end of the network then or it's a significant change and Less reason to subscribe and pay for it if there putting those shows on a service pretty much most people have already and are a paying customer of.

Again game changing unbelievableĀ