WWE to Netflix, Network presumably doomed

Infinity Land

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

There's no way Netflix aren't taking the archive as part of this deal. Last month they added about 100 1930s Swedish films to their catalogue. They have room.

Presumably there'd be no match markers/chapters or searching for individual wrestlers/matches (not that you can do that at all on Peacock or particularly well on WWE Network).

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, JNLister said:

Presumably there'd be no match markers/chapters or searching for individual wrestlers/matches (not that you can do that at all on Peacock or particularly well on WWE Network).

They have a year to attend to that though, if they're arsed.

Well, well, well.  As someone who was considering ditching Netflix this year, that's certainly spicy.  The idea of watching PPVs live, or Raw on delay the next day, in full HD, is a game changer.

Re: adverts, they can simply cut away to ads for the ad-supported stream, and continue the feed for the full paid accounts.  The stream I watch of Dynamite has the sign-offs into ads but then just carries on (and the commentators pissing about in the ad breaks is the best bit of the show often), I imagine the same thing for RAW.

So the BIG question is the archive.  I've never had access to the Network so IF the archive ends up rolled out onto Netflix I may never recover - lying in bed late at night watching WCW Nitro until I fall asleep?  Magic.

• Paid Members

Part of me can see Netflix going down the Disney+ route of having a detailed area for WWE like Disney has for Nat Geo. That way the user interface will be much easier for wrestling fans to get around and not clog up Netflix's home screen with tons of half naked muscle men. Would make it easier for parental control points as well.

That would all but be the death blow for the Network itself. I imagine in a post takeover world, the way they've looked at cost cutting and streamlining in different areas, getting rid of the physical sale of DVDs and the likes this is the next stage, take the running costs out of their hand and instead be paid for someone else to do all of it.

As such, it gets Netflix more subscribers from people previously subscribed to say TNT or WWE that then realise all their other favourite shows are available.

The writing always seemed on the wall for TNT losing its rights after the takeover themselves and the correlation with AEW. That's surely where their TV rights will go now as well in the next round of renewals, use TNT Box Office for all big shows and probably stop using the Fite Network.

I've got to say it does feel easier for fans this way. Instead of paying £10 for WWE, £30 for TNT, £9 for Netflix, instead in 2025 you're realistically paying £12-£15 for Netflix with WWE as a further subscription tied into your monthly amount. No raise in fees for non viewing audiences, but a huge saving for those trying to do it all.

Edited by Shy Dad
Confused National geographic for Discovery+

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Loki said:

IF the archive ends up rolled out onto Netflix I may never recover - lying in bed late at night watching WCW Nitro until I fall asleep?  Magic.

Don't stop there. Go the whole hog for the full nostalgia experience - watch a Nitro, then the corresponding Thunder, tug yourself off to 5 minutes of random softcore, set your alarm for 2 hours hence, have a nap, watch Raw, fall back asleep and hope someone wakes you up with a cuppa and/or bacon sandwich in time for Football Focus.

1 hour ago, Kfogg1991 said:

So it's just going to be raw live on netflix smackdown is going to remain on the same channels for now at least.

SmackDown is going to Netflix in the UK too.

I hope this doesn’t mean a second series of The Wrestlers gets canned.

Edited by FUM

14 minutes ago, Loki said:

So the BIG question is the archive.  I've never had access to the Network so IF the archive ends up rolled out onto Netflix I may never recover - lying in bed late at night watching WCW Nitro until I fall asleep?  Magic.

There's been nothing obvious in the press releases. It just makes it seem like new content is going there. Makes a kind of sense. Since the Network stateside is still tied up with Peacock for a while. The $5bn over 10 years grabs a nice headline, but stateside alone they are making $265m a year from the Raw USA deal, $200m a year to Peacock for the network and PLEs, and Hulu had/have next day streaming rights.

Keep the network out of it just now. They can get another bag of money.

17 minutes ago, Shy Dad said:

WWE as a further subscription tied into your monthly amount

FFS, I hadn't considered that - I naively assumed this was just new content for subscribers to keep them happy.  Amazon Prime includes some live sports like Tennis, so it's not out of the question.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, BomberPat said:

I expect there will be commercial breaks, because - for broadcasters - that's a huge part of the appeal of live TV, and Netflix is desperate for money. Netflix are already expanding their advertising options, and I wouldn't be surprised if RAW runs with ads even if you're not on the cheaper, "ad-supported" subscription, because it's a live show that sort of requires regular breaks, and I expect Netflix (and other broadcasters) will be thinking that viewers will be more likely to accept the presence of ad breaks in genuine live TV over as-live or on-demand content. 

It's a huge shift, but I think a bigger one for Netflix than WWE in the long-term.

I wonder whether they'll employ picture in picture? If the whole Network ends up on Netflix I'd be cool with it. I'd finally bin off my WWE Network subscription and probably go to a higher tier if Netflix so my mum can watch it as well. Or I'd bin off the network and subscribe to TNA's thing again. 

One thing I just saw mentioned on some site which is bery interesting, the press release states 'RAW' there's no mention of Monday Night anywhere in it, with the rumours of it not staying on Mondays I think that might be telling

• Paid Members
49 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Is their money dependent on viewing figures? Don't want to have to cancel my Netflix account.

The reason I asked this is because I actively do not want to give WWE my money. I don't want the "bonus" of having WWE content on my account - if, however, all I need to do is simply avoid their programming on Netflix to avoid them getting anything, then that's great.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, SaitoRyo said:

As a silver lining, at least the move to Netflix will kill (some) of the wrestling ratings discourse!

I was wondering about this - Netflix have so little transparency and accountability on their viewing figures, that it either kills the ratings chat or makes it far, far worse.

30 minutes ago, Loki said:

Re: adverts, they can simply cut away to ads for the ad-supported stream, and continue the feed for the full paid accounts.  The stream I watch of Dynamite has the sign-offs into ads but then just carries on (and the commentators pissing about in the ad breaks is the best bit of the show often), I imagine the same thing for RAW.

The AEW FITE feeds running through the ads are brilliant, but I just can't picture WWE - even in this weird brave new world - being that hands-off with their production as to allow stuff to go on during a "break". I imagine it would be more like when you're on the UK version of the WWE Network watching something that, on Peacock, would be airing with ads - every five minutes is just a pointless hype package for Bobby Lashley. 

I'm working on the assumption that the archive side of things is dead as of next year.

I've seen people mentioning how it doesn't say "Monday Night RAW" anywhere, but I don't think that's really the branding that WWE use any more. The logo, all of the branding on their website, just says WWE RAW, the hashtag they use is always #WWERAW.