WWE to Netflix, Network presumably doomed

Infinity Land

25 minutes ago, Doog said:

One thing I just saw mentioned on some site which is bery interesting, the press release states 'RAW' there's no mention of Monday Night anywhere in it, with the rumours of it not staying on Mondays I think that might be telling

It hasn't been branded as Monday Night Raw in a long time. A lot of the rumours came from the idea that it would be competing against the NFL ratings wise. That's not necessarily going to be the same concern.

Who knows maybe Netflix would like the idea of Fridays. Death for television, but can get a greater live viewership domestic and internationally on a streaming service.

WWE-Monday-Night-Raw-Logo-history.png

Well no, if we just go with the logos it hasn't been referred to as Monday Night Raw ever.

But generally in press releases they always refer to it as Monday Night Raw, I'd you go on WWE.com when you look at tickets they refer to the show as Monday Night Raw.

Anyway, might be nothing and they may just be keeping all cards on the table, but it definitely is referred to it generally as Monday Night, and isn't in Netflix release so theres potential it could move.

• Paid Members

I just love how this forum is so good at taking a really big piece of industry changing news like this and within a couple of hours we're whipping out a mosaic of Raw logos and wondering what this means for a TV station almost none of us have access to.

• Paid Members

Please excuse me whilst I smuggly sit here and pat myself on the back for cancelling my Netflix subscription last week.

• Paid Members
15 minutes ago, Doog said:

Well no, if we just go with the logos it hasn't been referred to as Monday Night Raw ever.

raw.jpg.4859e80eb88a249db1b4e8423f385572.jpg

Boy, you hit the head right on the nail there.

They definitely sacked off mentioning it as Monday Night Raw during the Attitude Era. It was seen as quite old fashioned at the time, and even for TV advertising purposes it was split into Raw is War and the Warzone. It was only when the brand split became a thing with Bischoff coming in as GM that they started referring to it as Monday Night Raw again. 

• Paid Members

As long as all the historical content stays available somewhere, I'm happy. The Network's been one of the best things to ever happen as a fan, an impossibly generous dream deal for a tenner a month. Would be crushed to lose the old stuff. Hopefully it's all going to Netflix, but if not I'd still be happy to have the option for getting Netflix for new stuff and keep subscribing to the Network as it is right now for the archives. It's that good a deal.

• Paid Members
30 minutes ago, Doog said:

I'm on dark mode, can't see the black writing in fairness!

Anyway, it's been referred to as Monday Night Raw after 1997 so intrigue still stands.

23 minutes ago, Gay as FOOK said:

They definitely sacked off mentioning it as Monday Night Raw during the Attitude Era. It was seen as quite old fashioned at the time, and even for TV advertising purposes it was split into Raw is War and the Warzone. It was only when the brand split became a thing with Bischoff coming in as GM that they started referring to it as Monday Night Raw again. 

From a purely logo/branding point of view it made perfect sense for them to strip "Monday Night" from the logo. By 1997 the show was airing in many international markets, most of which were not showing the show on Mondays. Would have looked a bit daft with "Monday Night" emblazoned all over a show that aired on Wednesdays in France and clashed with Nitro after Cartoon Network over here on (sob!) wrestling Friday. Probably also didnt help that "Monday Night Raw" and "Monday Nitro" sounded so similar.

.... and only now do I wonder if the video game was just "Raw" instead of "Monday Night Raw" because of a nutty Vince edict. "Goddamn it, we can't call it Monday Night Raw. We want them playing it every day, pal!"

• Paid Members

It's worth remembering that Netflix used to have a lot of WWE stuff before the Network launched. Mostly streams of those compilation DVDs WWE used to put out, but a good amount of the. So they have worked together before.