WWE to Netflix, Network presumably doomed

Infinity Land

• Paid Members
16 hours ago, Carbomb said:

Because of what happened with Ashley Massaro. I'm never watching again.

Since the Ashley documents were released I'll still watch it. I just won't give them any money for it again until Vince has either carked it or has absolutely nothing to do with the company.

This deal with Netflix has put me in quite the pickle. The whole family use Netflix all the time so cancelling screws them over.

Do we know if just not watching the content sends the message or am I giving Vince money even if I don't watch his content? I'm pretty stubborn about it, don't even give them clicks on their YouTube videos.

I gave up on the network a while ago mostly as I don't have time to watch the shows and the internet quality is so spotty in Vietnam that I spend too long buffering. 

Netflix runs great and I'm excited for shows to be on there as a money saver and easy way to watch. My son will be 3 by then so it's a great way to start introducing him to wrestling. 

I'd love archive stuff to move over even if it's just the occasional "WWE classic" that's up for a few weeks and then gone in the same way a lot of old movies come and go. A few classic PPVs before that years event comes out or some old RAWs on an anniversary etc. 

I think there's a place for a separate archive service and I doubt Netflix would want all the classic stuff clogging up their servers when it's going to be so sparsely watched. 

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, simonworden said:

internet quality is so spotty in Vietnam that I spend too long buffering

You live in Vietnam? It's true, we learn something new every day. 

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, DEF said:

This deal with Netflix has put me in quite the pickle. The whole family use Netflix all the time so cancelling screws them over.

Do we know if just not watching the content sends the message or am I giving Vince money even if I don't watch his content? I'm pretty stubborn about it, don't even give them clicks on their YouTube videos.

Don’t overthink it. You’re giving Netflix your money. They’re giving some of their money to WWE. “The message” goes nowhere at the scale of one household and the only measurement they’ll have of WWE affecting their success realistically will be any significant uplift to subs plus search terms used and views. Unsubscribing would be your equivalence of stopping using YouTube at all. It’s no way to live your life.

They will base the success of the WWE deal on new subscribers and how many are watching the product. You with your Netflix account anyway is not going to impact it. If nobody watches it and the subscriber base stalls then they'll cut the deal after 5 years.

• Paid Members

My situation is pretty much the same as @DEF's - my whole family uses Netflix, so I couldn't cancel it anyway; they wouldn't be happy. 

It's not about being able to affect WWE in any significant way, as that's something I've long accepted; it's more that I just don't want to give them my money. It's one of the few things in this world I have a modicum of control over.

I noticed that Netflix now have ratings systems, so, if I can't deny WWE my money, I can at least give them a thumbs down.

Meltzer noted on WOR today that the archives will also move over to Netflix (outside of the US) beginning in 2025. 

He didn't say how much of the archive will be moving, but Netflix will be the sole source of it. 

Better start buying those Mid-South box sets up, boys...

As much as I love the Network (or the idea of it) I just have to accept I barely have the time to keep up with today's wrestling, let alone watch all the other stuff too. So I'm not as worried as I used to be, nor do I mind too much that I got rid of all my DVDs/Blu-rays. Things change.

1 hour ago, Carbomb said:

I noticed that Netflix now have ratings systems, so, if I can't deny WWE my money, I can at least give them a thumbs down.

Believe this purely relates to your own viewing experience rather than being an assessment of anything else so a thumbs down probably the right route for you not to have to see WWE pop up as a recommended viewing.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, SaitoRyo said:

Meltzer noted on WOR today that the archives will also move over to Netflix (outside of the US) beginning in 2025. 

He didn't say how much of the archive will be moving, but Netflix will be the sole source of it. 

Better start buying those Mid-South box sets up, boys...

He also specifically said the Network is closing down completely at the end of the year.

Given Netflix has paid for it, it exists in digitized form, and it's got nearly a year to handle the transition, there doesn't seem any obvious reason Netflix wouldn't put up everything that's currently on the Network/Peacock.

2 hours ago, SaitoRyo said:

if it’s anything like what happened when the Network moved to Peacock in the States, then pretty much the entirety of the archive will move to Netflix. When the archive was migrated to Peacock in 2021, it look about five months for everything to move across.

• Awards Moderator
2 minutes ago, JNLister said:

there doesn't seem any obvious reason Netflix wouldn't put up everything that's currently on the Network/Peacock.

...other than they still pay for every byte they store and stream. There's a cost/benefit in there somewhere.

If you already have Netflix and don't watch WWE arguably you're actually making it clearer you don't watch WWE I think?

With the broadcast TV shows they don't know if you are or aren't watching unless you've a ratings box (I think, might have changed how things work these days). Ratings are extrapolated from a set of people's viewing habits.

With Netflix they know everything about you, what you watch, how long, when you stop, if you took a break, did you hover over something and ultimately decide not to watch it.. all that.

So your decision not to watch WWE on Netflix will count as a person who doesn't watch WWE. Your decision not to watch WWE on whatever TV channel it's shown on technically isn't counted (I assume it is broadcast in the UK, if it's only shown on the Network then this isn't relevant).  Obviously not paying for WWE PPVs/the network does count, I'm certainly not suggesting anyone's boycott doesn't matter.

If you signed up to Netflix about the time they add WWE then it might count towards "increased subscriptions in the month we added WWE programming" stats, but still, they know what the new subscribers watch so yeah... can't see why they'd ignore their own data

Edited by organizedkaos