WWE to Netflix, Network presumably doomed

Infinity Land

Raw in the US and UK will be on Netflix starting next year

https://variety.com/2024/tv/news/netflix-wwe-monday-night-raw-deal-january-2025-1235882820/

Under the deal, Netflix will become the exclusive home of “Raw” in the U.S., Canada, the U.K., Latin America and other territories once the deal begins, with more countries and regions to be added over time. Netflix will also become the television home for all WWE shows outside the U.S. That includes fellow weekly shows “SmackDown” and “NXT” as well as annual live events like WrestleMania, SummerSlam and the Royal Rumble, as well as documentaries, original series and additional projects.

Edited by Infinity Land

7 minutes ago, Infinity Land said:

It's basically taking over the UK rights deal over here, but sounds like PLEs are included.

So the PPVs (I'll be dead before I call them what you did) are going to be live on Netflix?

What about the Network? 

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, TheScarlettChad said:

Good news for WWE. Who watches Live TV these days? As in Sky etc. Nobody. And if they have PPV, Its game over for wrestling on regular TV.

Anyone who likes football for starters. I hear that’s pretty popular…

I imagine substantially more people have Netflix than TNT Sports in the UK and Ireland, so good for WWE’s visibility I suppose.

Something a bit yucky about even more money being thrown at them though.

Edited by garynysmon

• Paid Members

it's not a question of "who watches live TV" - six million people just watched the first episode of Gladiators - it's streaming services recognising that, actually, they need to compete with linear TV where it counts, and that's with live content. This is a massive seismic shift for both WWE and Netflix, and arguably for the future of streaming in general.

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, garynysmon said:

Anyone who likes football for starters. I hear that’s pretty popular…

HBK doesn’t miss a Blackburn Rovers game.

IMG_7488.jpeg.a7bbdeb0551a8a8557c9f92f513ffd92.jpeg

Is this the first live TV on Netflix? Week one, Michael Cole’s gonna be calling it the longest running weekly episodic TV in Netflix history.

Edited by Supremo

• Paid Members

I thought Raw going to Amazon was a big deal, but Netflix is a better get for them.

Fair play to them, great deal. Though those of us who decided not to give any money to WWE will find it much harder now to avoid. Interesting times ahead.

8 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

So the PPVs (I'll be dead before I call them what you did) are going to be live on Netflix?

What about the Network? 

I can see it just being a graveyard of static content for people who want to throw them 10-15 a month to watch WrestleWar 91 and shit like that. 

I'm not sure you could call it a failure, but given how happy the Khan era WWE seems more open to business with the outside world, it looks increasingly like the Network was simply bridging a gap from one era to the next. 

It makes no sense to give it your live premium content exclusivity, and from a storytelling/audience standpoint it makes no sense either to put your supplementary programming etc on it. 

The Network was a really neat idea when it came along, but it went in parallel to the emergence of this sort of cross platform/YouTube era. People find out about and follow angles now through streams that aren't WWE owned, not because they're willing to throw down money a month for some weirdo service that only shows wrestling. 

They spent decades under Vince trying to justify the existence of their own form of entertainment, banging at the gates of the wider entertainment world. The Network was like an island to that ideology. Now they're successfully just a part of it all. 

It might be a credible worry now that the Network just falls into further disrepair. It's already a shell of what it was. And though it's poorly indexed, at least WWE, ECW and WCW's history is mostly there. I don't think that's a given forever though. It no longer seems like the vault of historic permanency it was on its inception, which is why I'm in the "Fuck, I shouldn't have told my Tagged Classics" club. 

The future will be Miz talking over edited clips of legendary matches. 

Edited by Gay as FOOK