WWE to Netflix, Network presumably doomed

Infinity Land

• Paid Members

I can’t imagine the archive disappears under any circumstances. The streaming companies are obsessed with content and all the hard work is already done on the existing Network shows. Either Netflix will take it, WWE will keep it or sell it somewhere else. Amazon used to have entire years worth of CHIKARA shows on Prime, Wrestlemania 3 isn’t going to be left in the cupboard to rot anytime soon 

• Paid Members
33 minutes ago, waters44 said:

I can’t imagine the archive disappears under any circumstances. The streaming companies are obsessed with content and all the hard work is already done on the existing Network shows. Either Netflix will take it, WWE will keep it or sell it somewhere else. Amazon used to have entire years worth of CHIKARA shows on Prime, Wrestlemania 3 isn’t going to be left in the cupboard to rot anytime soon 

I can’t see years of WCW Nitro, WCCW, or any of the more quirky stuff to be on Netflix. I can see all the big 4 shows like Mania, Summerslam to be in there entirety, but I think there will be a lot of content that will be deemed unnecessary to go on there.

• Paid Members
33 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

I can’t see years of WCW Nitro, WCCW, or any of the more quirky stuff to be on Netflix. I can see all the big 4 shows like Mania, Summerslam to be in there entirety, but I think there will be a lot of content that will be deemed unnecessary to go on there.

Have you seen some of the shite on Netflix? There's stuff on there no cunt has ever even heard of, let alone seen. They just want content. 

12 hours ago, Carbomb said:

The reason I asked this is because I actively do not want to give WWE my money. I don't want the "bonus" of having WWE content on my account - if, however, all I need to do is simply avoid their programming on Netflix to avoid them getting anything, then that's great.

I respect your stance. I suspect however it's a fixed fee. I just can't see them going from guaranteed amounts to a "pay per 1000 audience members" type model.

9 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Have you seen some of the shite on Netflix? There's stuff on there no cunt has ever even heard of, let alone seen. They just want content. 

On the other hand, they've been removing original content that no one was watching - given that the audience for the classic WWE and WCW content was already quite low, I would be surprised if every episode of RAW or Nitro was up there. I'm sure they'll publish key PPVs and maybe 'best of' type shows and documentaries, but I'd be surprised if they felt it was worth the effort to do anything more than that. 

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, RedRooster said:

On the other hand, they've been removing original content that no one was watching

It's not as simple as that. Any originals that they have removed have been because of specific licencing issues, because they had a time scale on when they would be exclusively housed by Netflix, or because the content creator asked them to be removed. Just because something has the Netflix logo on it, it doesn't mean it will be on there forever everywhere.

1 minute ago, Devon Malcolm said:

It's not as simple as that. Any originals that they have removed have been because of specific licencing issues, because they had a time scale on when they would be exclusively housed by Netflix, or because the content creator asked them to be removed. Just because something has the Netflix logo on it, it doesn't mean it will be on there forever everywhere.

True - but if they know that no one is watching classic WWE content, why would they bother wasting manpower on publishing the entire back catalogue of RAW or Nitro? Netflix is far from the only streaming service that has removed content (HBO Max being the most notable one, given the volume of content they ditched) and there are absolutely cases where content that could have been retained has been removed. 

I hope I'm wrong - it's nice to be able to watch a classic episode of Raw or Smackdown whenever you want to - but I'm not sure they'll view it as being particularly valuable. I imagine it'll be similar to how Amazon is treating Neighbours - you'll have a decent number of memorable episodes from the past published, but there will be significant gaps.

What we really need in this discussion is some RATINGS STATS on what gets watched on the WWE Network from the archive.

Edited by Loki

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, IronSheik said:

How come? 🤔 

Because of what happened with Ashley Massaro. I'm never watching again.

If Harlan Coben (too late for a trigger warning Branquey?) can keep getting his terrible shite housed on Netflix then I see no reason why I shouldn’t be able to watch the Kennel from Hell match on there.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Devon Malcolm said:

It's also due to resdules. Both Disney and Max pulled shows for that reason. Or cancelled completely filmed shows to sell them elsewhere so they could use it as a tax write off. 

Also, I was basing my comment on what happened to WWE Network in the US. When it became part of Peacock it lost thousands of hours of content because they obviously didn't see the point of putting episodes up of Tuesday Night Titans. I have heard of many complaints of missing content from US based people so if they did that when they announced the WWE Network was becoming part of Peacock, I see them being more selective.

Also, another reason you get a load of shite you've never heard of on Netflix and Prime is free content. A friend of a friend made a wrestling show called Dojo Pro, it is still on Amazon Prime. It still is because Amazon was given it for free.   

• Paid Members

I believe everything from the Network archive ended up on Peacock, it just took a few months to get it up.

In theory at least, that process should mean any issues with music licensing and questionable content are taken care of already and they can just transfer the files over to Netflix. I can't see them being more queasy about potentially offensive stuff than Peacock was.

The only real reason not to have the archive on Netflix internationally (and then in the US after the Peacock deal ends) is if WWE think they can still make money from licensing it elsewhere or running it as a dedicated subscription service. The problem is I suspect the combination of cutting back on "new" archive stuff (from regular updates to weekly Hidden Gems to a monthly batch of ten 1996 Superstars episodes to nothing whatsoever) and the latest interface overhaul making finding archive stuff a hassle/borderline impossible has probably killed the goodwill of most people who'd have considered subscribing to an archive-only service. I know that if they'd said "new stuff's moving to Netflix, archive's staying here, we're cutting it to a fiver a month" I'd probably have stayed out of laziness, but I unsubscribed after 9 years a couple of months back.

Edited by JNLister

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Carbomb said:

Because of what happened with Ashley Massaro. I'm never watching again.

Mostly the reason I quit, and I can't say I've missed a great deal since in the near 5 years without it. Even with the semantic argument of 'Netflix already gave them ten figures and I have no interest of helping them recoup that".