WWE to Netflix, Network presumably doomed

Infinity Land

31 minutes ago, Onyx2 said:

...other than they still pay for every byte they store and stream. There's a cost/benefit in there somewhere.

Yeah there's a reason Disney and others take stuff down all the time. It's not just a free thing where you can put endless amounts of content on there without the cost increasing.

If anything I imagine it'll be like most things on Netflix and a lot of the content will be timed, disappear and then put back again and made a fuss about etc.

Same with places like Amazon and their James Bond movies, or Sky with Harry Potter etc. Hell, even something like McDonalds and their "limited" menu items. It's a very familiar practice now.

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, organizedkaos said:

With Netflix they know everything about you, what you watch, how long, when you stop, if you took a break, did you hover over something and ultimately decide not to watch it.. all that.

Imagine if that power expanded to your other tabs as long as you had their tab open?

"Because you watched SASHA GREY BRUTAL GANGBANG DP DA BALD ANAL FACIAL you might like... Sasha Banks."

7 minutes ago, air_raid said:

Imagine if that power expanded to your other tabs as long as you had their tab open?

"Because you watched SASHA GREY BRUTAL GANGBANG DP DA BALD ANAL FACIAL you might like... Sasha Banks."

Great so if that happens I'm going to get a load of Harvina Women's title reign videos and a them over recommending that particular Big Show/Eddie Smackers with the tanker truck.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, simonworden said:

Great so if that happens I'm going to get a load of Harvina Women's title reign videos and a them over recommending that particular Big Show/Eddie Smackers with the tanker truck.

Booker T Wrestling GIF by WWE

• Awards Moderator
25 minutes ago, air_raid said:

Umm... This happens routinely. Except the tabs can be closed. Hence constantly insta-closing buttons that say "I use cookies!!!" in ever cheery and non threatening ways. 

27 minutes ago, air_raid said:

To some extent facebook, instagram and others already do this if you're logged on that browser (the websites have to have agreed, I assume they get paid, you can also turn this off... suposedly :D).

The more Netflix tries to gain money from advertising the more they might do a similar thing (although I'd hazard a guess they can extrapolate a heck of a lot from your viewing habits)

Edited by organizedkaos

• Paid Members
18 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

Yeah there's a reason Disney and others take stuff down all the time. It's not just a free thing where you can put endless amounts of content on there without the cost increasing.

If anything I imagine it'll be like most things on Netflix and a lot of the content will be timed, disappear and then put back again and made a fuss about etc.

Same with places like Amazon and their James Bond movies, or Sky with Harry Potter etc. Hell, even something like McDonalds and their "limited" menu items. It's a very familiar practice now.

With Netflix at least, they mainly take stuff down because they only licensed it for a set period. That's not an issue here.

From what I can gather, most of Netflix's content is hosted/delivered by Amazon Web Services. They charge a very small amount for the actual storage and then a variable fee based on how often it's accessed/transcoded/delivered. Content that nobody watches really doesn't cost that much day-to-day in the big picture.

Probably not the best example given they lose billions, but Peacock has episodes of Smack Talk (the post Smackdown studio talk show) from 2016. I can't imagine a single person has watched those since they were uploaded to Peacock. 

• Paid Members

Yeah, I'm used to Facebook interrupting my endless stream of dog photos and baby photos with the occasional Amazon ad trying to sell me USB cables or silicone sealant.

My Netflix use is on the telly only. So hopefully the only odd recommendations it might learn to do, via Samsungs app, is telling me what show they'd recommend based on how often the washing machine runs. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, DavidB6937 said:

Further to Lister’s post - part of the reason streaming services remove things like Harry Potter is that when it’s re uploaded they can push it and attract new viewers / remind old viewers to watch again. It’s designed in part to make users feel the service is being added to a lot more that it actually is.

With regard to Netflix have they ever removed their own shows / films which wasn’t a licensing issue? I can’t recall anything but don’t pay too much attention to it to be honest

3 minutes ago, waters44 said:

Further to Lister’s post - part of the reason streaming services remove things like Harry Potter is that when it’s re uploaded they can push it and attract new viewers / remind old viewers to watch again. It’s designed in part to make users feel the service is being added to a lot more that it actually is.

With regard to Netflix have they ever removed their own shows / films which wasn’t a licensing issue? I can’t recall anything but don’t pay too much attention to it to be honest

I don't remember them specifically removing their own content. Just cancelling it and not making it anymore, which is probably where the real cost cutting comes in.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, JNLister said:

Probably not the best example given they lose billions, but Peacock has episodes of Smack Talk (the post Smackdown studio talk show) from 2016. I can't imagine a single person has watched those since they were uploaded to Peacock. 

Did anything of note ever happen on this show aside from the one where The Miz verbally ruined Daniel Bryan?

3 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Did anything of note ever happen on this show aside from the one where The Miz verbally ruined Daniel Bryan?

Daniel Bryan calling AJ a flat earther and him replying "Well you have flat feet" is an all time highlight.

Edit: so so so so so good.

Edited by SuperBacon

5 hours ago, Carbomb said:

My situation is pretty much the same as @DEF's - my whole family uses Netflix, so I couldn't cancel it anyway; they wouldn't be happy. 

It's not about being able to affect WWE in any significant way, as that's something I've long accepted; it's more that I just don't want to give them my money. It's one of the few things in this world I have a modicum of control over.

I noticed that Netflix now have ratings systems, so, if I can't deny WWE my money, I can at least give them a thumbs down.

Sadly, at this point, what you're talking about doing is the equivalent of trying to empty the Thames with a small bucket. It'll make no real difference in the grand scheme of things.

For WWE (and Netflix) to be affected, they'd need to see virtually no bump in subscriptions when the WWE content is added, and they'd need to see far fewer people than they imagined watching Raw every week.

Which is very unlikely to happen.

You can simply not watch any of the WWE content personally, and you can then rest easier, but I don't think denying WWE your money is going to matter. The bottom line is, I wouldn't stress too much about it.

• Paid Members
Just now, David said:

Sadly, at this point, what you're talking about doing is the equivalent of trying to empty the Thames with a small bucket. It'll make no real difference in the grand scheme of things.

For WWE (and Netflix) to be affected, they'd need to see virtually no bump in subscriptions when the WWE content is added, and they'd need to see far fewer people than they imagined watching Raw every week.

Which is very unlikely to happen.

You can simply not watch any of the WWE content personally, and you can then rest easier, but I don't think denying WWE your money is going to matter. The bottom line is, I wouldn't stress too much about it.

Like I say, I've long accepted that. I just didn't want to give them my money (or, rather, my portion of what gets pooled into the family account). But it seems none of that works, so I'll just stick to not watching WWE.

The reason I've long accepted it, BTW, is because we already have a Virgin Media subscription - primarily for the football. Unfortunately, there's no way to stop any of that money going to WWE either. I just don't watch (and, thankfully, I don't think any of my household do either).