The NXT Discussion Thread

DJM

41 minutes ago, westlondonmist said:

The camera work on that is terrible, you can't see the guy moving out the way. Looks like the guy is just purposely jumping on to a ladder with nobody on it. 

That's what I thought was going on! And the two guys at the steps were shocked wondering "What is that f**cking idiot doing???"

• Paid Members

I don’t understand these bumps. Does an agent stand backstage going “…and then I want you to jump from one ladder and crash through another” as if he’s planning a match with his wrestling figures and not real, live people with bodies that they need to live with into old age?

22 minutes ago, Your Fight Site said:

I don’t understand these bumps. Does an agent stand backstage going “…and then I want you to jump from one ladder and crash through another” as if he’s planning a match with his wrestling figures and not real, live people with bodies that they need to live with into old age?

It's been over twenty years mate and Michael Hayes still doesn't understand how fucked up you can wreck a body of a man in their early 20's.

Yeah, that might have been the most dangerous ladder match I’ve ever seen. Given how new some of the wrestlers in there are, it just feels reckless to send them out there to perform in a match like that. It wasn’t fun to watch. It felt like a match that could have a very serious outcome.

• Paid Members

Although there were some enjoyable parts, this felt a million miles off of the quality of Takeovers of the past.

A common misconception is that a big part of the legacy of the Takeover specials was simply about the in-ring element - whilst it was excellent, the storytelling in general would culminate in a gripping fashion and everything felt massive even without that element. This felt a bit flat in comparison, even with Grimes' big win for instance. Maybe it was the crowd, maybe it was the average, overly-polished build-up in the weeks leading up to the event. But it just never felt like the massive deal previous instalments have, or a big changing of the guard, a real ushering in of a new era, or anything close to that. 

I felt a lot of the newer crop didn't look polished and, at times, looked quite lost. You do have to make allowances for this being the first show of this size and scale for them, and it'll be interesting to see the improvements the next time we have an NXT show in this scale (Summerslam weekend?) to see how further they've developed, again referring to the in-ring and storytelling aspects.

• Paid Members

WWE being so keen to make sure everyone knows not to “try this at home” and yet have the wrestlers do stuff that shouldn’t be tried anywhere. The gradual escalation from “bumps off a ladder to the mat” to through tables, and through tables on the floor, to this level of bullshit, is absolutely ridiculous. ITS A WORK. There’s enough things that can go wrong with human beings simulating violence to each other without incorporating such a dangerous inanimate object and expecting sudden impact with the body to not risk catastrophic injuries. The moment Joey Mercury had his face obliterated by a ladder, that should have been the end of the ladder as anything other than to jump from or at a push slam each other from, and that was 15 years ago - it does NOT need to be thrown, swung, jumped onto or slammed through. Absolute fucking joke. Every bit as reckless and stupid as some of the hardcore antics they used to denigrate and backyarders they claim to discourage.

7 hours ago, The King Of Swing said:

Didn't Io Shirai also take a horrible bump in one a while back?

Honestly I'd be happy if I never saw another ladder match.

Nothing wrong with the idea of ladder matches as the ones from the 90s (although there was probably single figures in WWE) used the ladder to tell a story, and a good one, without the silly bumps. The problem is with the idea of having ladder matches monthly and each trying to outdo the previous one's big spot.