The NXT Discussion Thread

DJM

• 4 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

Thought I'd dip in for the Heatwave event. Was alright. Intriguing use of the NXT UK people that turned up. Is it dead?

No one knows, but have been speculating for the last week or so. As is the way on the internet.

There were a block of tapings that were cancelled. Turns out the BT studios were booked up for the football is an excuse put out there. Not like anyone could predict such a thing :)

Around the time a number of NXTUK talent were talked about going to NXT2.0 for a stint.

I think they've still got stuff taped and unaired from the last chunk of NXTUK tapings, and there's plenty of wrestlers out in Florida they could easily film content out there.

18 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

Thought I'd dip in for the Heatwave event. Was alright. Intriguing use of the NXT UK people that turned up. Is it dead?

Well I’d say they likely don’t care about it considering on their TV’s they are currently airing a tournament to crown a new UK Champion and yet on this show the New Champion whose win hasn’t aired yet showed up 

I know I shouldn't be surprised, but I am still surprised that they did nothing with NXT UK over the Cardiff weekend. The Friday night would have been perfect to either do a Takeover event or even just some weekly takings somewhere.

It could even have been a NXT2.0 v NXT UK event which they could have used to merge the two (if that's what's happening) and the home crowd would have helped push the UK guys to a worldwide audience who weren't familiar to them.

Best we can hope for now is Tyler v Bron at Clash at the Castle maybe? Though I doubt that's even on their radar.

• Paid Members

Pretty certain the entire point of NXT UK was just to kill off PROGRESS, ICW and the rest of the UK indie scene before it became too popular. Can't be too surprised they never bothered doing anything with it once they (and COVID and Speaking Out) accomplished that.

• Paid Members

At least they’re doing something with Tyler Bate. It’s a genuine tragedy that he had that phenomenal Takeover match with Pete Dunne five years ago, only to spend every day since then in a shitty warehouse in London, on a show nobody is watching. For someone originally touted as an insane talent considering his age, they’ve essentially put him into storage for a sizeable chunk of his career.

Edited by Supremo

11 minutes ago, Supremo said:

At least they’re doing something with Tyler Bate. It’s a genuine tragedy that he had that phenomenal Takeover match with Pete Dunne five years ago, only to spend every day since then in an shitty warehouse in London, on a show nobody is watching. For someone originally touted as an insane talent considering his age, they’ve essentially put him into storage for a sizeable chunk of his career.

Hard to know why though. A couple of years of the pandemic. Perhaps he didn't even want to go to the US. I'm sure WALTER/Gunther wasn't that interested in regularly working in the US at one point.

50 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

Pretty certain the entire point of NXT UK was just to kill off PROGRESS, ICW and the rest of the UK indie scene before it became too popular. Can't be too surprised they never bothered doing anything with it once they (and COVID and Speaking Out) accomplished that.

Wasn't it more about World of Sport? Although I suspect their biggest fear with that was less that it could be a success and more that it could be a success with their fair wages.

• Paid Members

https://metro.co.uk/2022/08/18/shawn-michaels-on-wwe-nxt-europe-launch-nxt-uk-end-and-worlds-collide-17203498/ 

So it looks like HBK has confirmed NXT UK is shutting down after When Worlds Collide, which is bizarrely happening at the PC while WWE are over for Clash at the Castle, and they'll be forming an NXT Europe instead. 

Makes sense. It's not like they were box office in the UK as a touring brand before COVID hit. The typical response of "It's part of the BT Sport deal" never held a ton of weight long term. It was well down the depth chart of WWE shows BT show and they started selling NXTUK to other international broadcasters where a NXT Europe would be an easier sell.

• Paid Members

Yeah, I've wondered for a while if they wish they'd branded as Europe rather than UK given they've just had lengthy title reigns from an Austrian and a Russian, and the percentage of non-UK talent has significantly increased since the inception of the brand.

Probably makes it an easier sell for running live events in France/Germany etc as well as for TV.