The NXT Discussion Thread

DJM

According to https://tjrwrestling.net/news/wwe-nxt-uk-wrestlers-released-august-18-2022/ this is the list of those released (so far).

Flash Morgan Webster
Wild Boar
Jack Starz
Mark Andrews
Amale
Emilia McKenzie
Kirsty Bosley (Ring Announcer)
Dave Mastiff
Ashton Smith
Sha Samuels
Nina Samuels
Sam Gradwell
Dani Luna
Primate
Rohan Raja
Kenny Williams
Amir Jordan

Trent Seven
Sid Scala
Eddie Dennis
T-Bone
Teoman
Xia Brookside
Saxon Huxley

I'm not sure if that leaves anyone, so I'm assuming that the only ones they're keeping are those that showed up on NXT. (Which I think are Tyler, Gallus and Regal's lad).

I suppose there's nothing stopping some of them getting resigned to NXT Europe next year and it at least let's them go back to the indies in the interim.

It'll give the UK scene a much needed boost, and a few will work further afield. Can't see anyone there who'll walk into AEW or NJPW but they should all be at least back to where they were pre-NXT UK I'd have thought.

For what it's worth, I'm glad it's done now. The initial tournament was brilliant, and I was excited for what I thought would be a touring show of the best of the UK scene at that time. It never materialised, and I think everybody involved lost what little interest they had in it.

• Paid Members

Fair amount of rubbish there to be honest.

17 hours ago, Infinity Land said:

The NXT UK cuts have started. Flash Morgan Webster, Mark Andrews, Wild Boar, and Jack Starz so far have made some announcements.

No great loss there. Always hated him, crap look and nothing special bell to bell, 100% far too high on the card every time I ever saw him, which included getting a Progress title shot, which was ridiculous.

Got a lot of time for Andrews, however. Only really ever had one issue with his entire presentation,

16 hours ago, poetofthedeed said:

Mandrews 

THAT. Ugh.

7 minutes ago, Callum1993 said:

Assuming they are keeping Bea Priestley as well as she was on NXT this week. They’ll probably keep Dragunov as well 

They're still under the NXTUK tab on the roster page. Pretty much everyone else that's meant to be gone is under the Alumni section now. Rohan Roja is one that has put out a tweet suggesting he's gone but still listed under NXTUK.

https://www.wwe.com/superstars

I'm interested in what this could mean for the generation of talent that came up when WWE snapped up essentially the top-tier of UK wrestling. In the past few year, a lot of promotions have made a decent job of elevating guys and girls to fill those spots. With all these releases coming back into a UK market already decimated by COVID, there could be some jostling.

Edited by CavemanLynn

1 hour ago, s279 said:

It'll give the UK scene a much needed boost, and a few will work further afield. Can't see anyone there who'll walk into AEW or NJPW but they should all be at least back to where they were pre-NXT UK I'd have thought.

I’d imagine the majority of them will be back in Progress as soon as their No Compete allows

R.I.P NXT UK 

You had a good run now everyone go crawling back to the uk scene.

They fucking killed the absolute incredible scene we had thinking it would be the best thing ever. Killed everything dead then booted everyone back to a now shit landscape 

WRESTLING 

4 minutes ago, Kfogg1991 said:

R.I.P NXT UK 

They fucking killed the absolute incredible scene we had thinking it would be the best thing ever. Killed everything dead then booted everyone back to a now shit landscape 

WRESTLING 

Yeah they definitely killed it. Definitely wasn't any other problems whatsoever. None at all.

3 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

Yeah they definitely killed it. Definitely wasn't any other problems whatsoever. None at all.

No obviously there was other dark shit too but let's not lie as soon as wwe get involved it fucking died a death instantly 

Certainly felt like it killed the momentum. It had probably maxed out as there wasn't someone with the money to tie it all together. 

WoS Wrestling trundled on with its attempt. RevPro had that show on Freesports which didn't look out of sorts from what NXTUK were putting out. WCPW/Defiant ran out of steam.

Knowing now that AEW was around the corner. That would have had the same effect in the end. Some of the marketable people that hadn't been signed by NXT proper or ROH from 2016-2019 would have been picked up AEW.

• Paid Members

What exactly “died”? There’s still dozens and dozens of promotions, some regularly selling out venues and some without announcing any matches because they have such a strong following. It’s not exactly a barren wasteland out there if you want to watch “the wrestling”. 

Edited by Your Fight Site

2 hours ago, Kfogg1991 said:

R.I.P NXT UK 

WRESTLING 

Did it have a good run though? The fact that it’s barely been talked about for the last two or three years would suggest that it didn’t at all. If they just stopped making it, would anyone have noticed.

That’s not to say it didn’t have some good standout moments, but saying it “had a good run” is overstating it